Author Topic: article on celebrity with AN  (Read 5653 times)

michelle d.

Re: article on celebrity with AN
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 07:10:45 pm »
Just catching up (always late)...but I, too, read the article in People magazine about the woman from TLC right after being diagnosed with AN and it sort of overwhelmed me.  It's so helpful to be able to "connect" with other people who have experienced it, even if it's just to read about it. <3michelle d.
Acoustic Neuroma on right side--removed Nov. 13th, 2009 @ Strong Hospital, Rochester, NY....Translab.   50 years old

aaron28

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 01:25:05 pm »
She seems to have gone through the whole nine yards. She looks like she's perfectly normal. Hopefully her story is a strong motivational aid for the rest of us. Great article and thanks for sharing it.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 07:53:35 am »
Actor Mark Ruffalo also had an AN and facial paralysis post-op, which resolved within a year. 

http://www.aboutfilm.com/features/ruffalo/ruffalo.htm

He now has a slightly asymetrical smile, which kind of adds to his character.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 12:45:11 pm »
As always, leave it to Doc to offer his controversial take. Tara's story is of course interesting and very uplifting. Having said that, there isn't an AN Survivor on this forum and in this world that doesn't deserve to have their story told in Vanity Fair! You're all heros and should be recognized for your courage and perseverance under conditions that are both trying and life threatening. Knowing my story will never find such notoriety, I've taken to documenting my journey on my blog like many of you do. Sorry, but it annoys me to no end when I see and hear "celebrity" trials and tribulations sensationalized in the media. Us "ordinary" people have equally compelling stories. For what its worth, I was back at my desk 10 days after being released from three weeks in Hospital and on an airplane traveling on business a month later; without the benefit of a professional ghost writer documenting my return to normalcy!

Some of you are probably thinking, "Doc, you missed the point!" I don't think so. I realize it benefits the AN Community at large when stories like Tara's, and other "famous" people are told. Agreed. But it still rubs me the wrong way.  Funny, I sounded the same opinion at last weeks Atlanta Area Group Meeting when an R&B singers story was mentioned.

I'm done pontificating now...move on, nothing to see here!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.