Author Topic: symptoms  (Read 1520 times)

formula30

symptoms
« on: July 22, 2010, 03:04:10 pm »
I was diagnosed on June 23rd with a right side acoustic neuroma, my symptoms were light headedness, just feeling off all the time, have had vertigo, but it was different, sort of like you would feel like you would pass out but didn't.  When I was diagnosed with the mri brain scan with contrast, 19mm x 18mm x 16mm, I recognized that my full feeling in my ear, and my hearing is not as good as it used to be were symptoms.  I take zyrtec everyday, it seems to help with the off feeling.......acid reflux for the nausea......and ibuprofen for the headaches..........my blood pressure was high for about four months and that was what we were looking the cause of.......then we found this........and miraculously my blood pressure returned to normal a week after I found out I had a brain tumor.....I never associated the ringing in my ears with anything, but I thought blood pressure......it's there most of the time.......but I am kind of used to it now.  What I don't understand is why I am so tired most of the time.......and I can't drink coffee at all, which I always did.........it seems to make me feel unsteady and nauseous.........sorry this is so long, I just don't understand......

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: symptoms
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 03:22:47 pm »
formula30 ~

Let me thank you for your post and welcome you to the ANA Discussion forums.  Of course, I'm sorry you're the recipient of an acoustic neuroma diagnosis but I'm glad you decided to seek information here.  We're not doctors and even if we were, we couldn't ethically offer specific medical advice, but we can offer you lots of practical advice.  

When the balance nerve (8th cranial nerve) is affected by the AN, your brain has to compensate for the loss of 'input' from the affected ear/nerve so it has to work harder to keep you balanced and not falling down.  This equates to feeling tired.  I was the same way pre-diagnosis - this is typical for AN patients.  The tumor may be infringing on the trigeminal nerve (the 5th cranial nerve) which can have an effect on your sense of taste, which may explain the problem drinking coffee.  However, that may be better asked of your doctor, who has your records and knows the specifics of your AN involvement.  That noise you hear is very likely what is known as tinnitus.  It is very common (but not exclusive to) those with an acoustic neuroma.  It may not abate, even after the AN has been addressed.  However, each AN patient has a slightly different experience, so there is no blanket statement that can be made about tinnitus.  

I hope others will add to this information (they usually do) and that your understanding can be helped.  We're a support site for AN patients.  We encourage and inform (to the best of our abilities) but we don't judge or second guess anyone's decisions.  We're here for you and hope you'll continue to use these forums as a resource.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:33:39 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

Re: symptoms
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 07:45:40 pm »
my symptoms were light headedness, just feeling off all the time

and I can't drink coffee at all, which I always did.........it seems to make me feel unsteady and nauseous.....

Hi  :)
 Sorry to hear about your AN. I highlighted  part of your post. Those were my symptoms along with the tinnitus for years and years. I didn't have vertigo though.

At least be thankful that you know it is there and can be treated. What are your doctors recommending at this point?

Coffee also didn't wake me up in the morning, it just made me feel more "off." (before diagnoses)
 After the surgery, I noticed the coffee tasted better and had it's normal "wake me up"power, so I love my coffee again. ;D

Great support system here as you are trying to figure out your options.

As per the usual advice, send for the ANA brochures which have a lot of info.

Let us know more and welcome again,
Maureen

Lots
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty