Author Topic: Incision Problem continues....  (Read 5903 times)

moe

Re: Incision Problem continues....
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 08:09:15 am »
  Since there is no hair directly around the BAHA site, it is much easier to keep clean and impossible to have ingrown hairs.
Oh yea, duh, I knew that!
Unfortunately my BAHA didn't even work for me. Too much interference with the tinnitus, plus it was placed right over what appears to be a blackhead (?), so kept getting irritated, though not really infected.
So the doc just unscrewed the abutment with his (sterile) screwdriver! I can always try again later if I want.......
(sorry for the highjack ;) )
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 02:27:01 pm »
Kathy ~

I'm pleased to learn that your doctor believes he has located the source of your problem but a bit dismayed that you have to undergo another surgery, even though it isn't as traumatic as the original AN removal surgery. 

Like many AN surgery patients, my neurosurgeon inserted a titanium plate w/mesh at the time of my surgery and I've never had a problem with it.  The site was numb for close to a year but eventually normal feeling returned.  My hair grew back, quickly.  Considering the infection problems you've had to deal with, this seems like the best solution, even though a bit inconvenient.   When is the surgery scheduled to take place? 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 04:39:38 pm »
Oh another prestigious club to be a part of - the titanium plate club (or the tpc, since I'm a state government employee who works with Dept of Labor -DOL-programs and we just love acronyms)!

I am so relieved to hear from you all so soon and glad to know your experiences with the plate have been fine.  I did a quick search on this site last night for titanium plates and the first few hits were negative - issues with pain, screw problems, and dislodging - needless to say, I had to sign off and go to bed.  I am wondering if there is any incidence of headaches, on-going discomfort, or other issues specific to the plate...if you have any further info on the subject, please share!!!!

As for the surgery date, I waiting for confirmation, but it looks like August 18.  Once I get the official word, I'll post it on the calendar.

Thanks, as always, for the support.  My neurosurgeon is going to be speaking at the symposium just before my surgery, so don't anyone give him a hard time...and watch to see that he eats well but doesn't drink too much!!!! 

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

epodjn

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 07:23:13 pm »
I'm another member of the TPC. I'm almost 8 months post and never had a problem. And yes, my hair grew back just fine.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

wendysig

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 07:56:26 pm »
Kathy,

I can only speak for myself, but after the first couple of weeks, I really didn't have any pain or headaches :D  I really hope thngs get better for you after this surgery.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 11:26:41 am »
Kathy,

Lets just hope your next problem is not a loose screw!!  Or do you already have that problem?   :D  Just kidding.

I hope this takes care of the issue once and for all.   I think you might win the award for the most scars!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 07:00:35 am »
Well there HAS to be some type of distinction / recognition for all of this, right?!

Inducted into the Retrosigmoid Club, January 09
Reigning Queen of the Ickyheads, July 09
Soon-to-be official member of the TPC, August 09
Candidate for most head scars by August 18, 2009 (confirmed surgery date!)

I am willing to step down from my notariety any time!!!

Thanks for helping me to keep it light, guys!!  I need that... I felt so lousy at work yesterday - left eary and slept 4 hours, ate dinner, then went back to bed.  This stuff is really trying to knock me off my feet....gotta hang in there and be able to work up until surgery date since I've used all kinds of leave time.  I'm taking my antibiotics, using the warm compresses, resting when I can.  Had bloodwork yesterday to see if the infection is causing more problems beyond the incision site but won't know what the resuts are til Monday.  My surgeon is off for two weeks, then at the ANA Symposium, then my turn!

Only 3 more weeks til surgery....I thnk I can I think I can I think I can

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 09:10:51 am »
Hey Kathy...

You forgot to mention the PICC Club!  As a member of that elite group, I know that the cost of membership includes countless hours of preparation and then sitting around trying to do something useful while being treated.  God bless you, you have have had your share of bumps in the road and I certainly hope this is the last detour you have to take on the road to complete recovery!  Keep your spirits up and remember of you need a lift, just start posting!  ;)

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

moe

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2009, 10:16:08 am »
Only 3 more weeks til surgery....I thnk I can I think I can I think I can

Kathy,
Yes, just keep saying that!!! It'll be here and behind you before you know it. (What did the little red engine say after he made it to the top and then went down the other side?)

When you reach your one year anniversary, the sky will be the limit ;)

The first year is tough if you have complications from the original AN surgery. Keep smiling, giggling...... and applying warm compresses.

Don't feel bad about needing extra sleep. Your body is under extreme stress, and you don't want to "catch" anything.
(That was always my concern before my little extra procedures. I was extra vigil with rest, vit C, echinacea, but then I'm a pill pusher :) )
Have fun at the symposium everyone.
Such a wealth of info, I wish I  could go.....
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2009, 10:24:25 am »
MsMaggie how could I forget the PICC Club?!!!!!  That is a particularly exclusive group, as you know.  Wow, I'm even luckier than I remembered!!! 

Still smiling.....and countin' down,

Kathy