Author Topic: study on proton radiation  (Read 2727 times)

ken

study on proton radiation
« on: March 16, 2006, 12:16:36 am »
1: Neurosurgery. 2002 Feb;50(2):270-3; discussion 273-5. Related Articles, Links 

Fractionated proton beam radiotherapy for acoustic neuroma.

Bush DA, McAllister CJ, Loredo LN, Johnson WD, Slater JM, Slater JD.

Department of Radiation Medicine, Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, California 92354, USA. dbush@dominion.llumc.edu

OBJECTIVE: This study evaluated proton beam irradiation in patients with acoustic neuroma. The aim was to provide maximal local tumor control while minimizing complications such as cranial nerve injuries. METHODS: Thirty-one acoustic neuromas in 30 patients were treated with proton beam therapy from March 1991 to June 1999. The mean tumor volume was 4.3 cm(3). All patients underwent pretreatment neurological evaluation, contrast enhanced magnetic resonance imaging, and audiometric evaluation. Standard fractionated proton radiotherapy was used at daily doses of 1.8 to 2.0 cobalt Gray equivalent: patients with useful hearing before treatment (Gardner-Robertson Grade I or II) received 54.0 cobalt Gray equivalent in 30 fractions; patients without useful hearing received 60.0 cobalt Gray equivalent in 30 to 33 fractions. RESULTS: Twenty-nine of 30 patients were assessable for tumor control and cranial nerve injury. Follow-up ranged from 7 to 98 months (mean, 34 mo), during which no patients demonstrated disease progression on magnetic resonance imaging scans. Eleven patients demonstrated radiographic regression. Of the 13 patients with pretreatment Gardner-Robertson Grade I or II hearing, 4 (31%) maintained useful hearing. No transient or permanent treatment-related trigeminal or facial nerve dysfunction was observed. CONCLUSION: Fractionated proton beam therapy provided excellent local control of acoustic neuromas when treatment was administered in moderate doses. No injuries to the Vth or VIIth cranial nerves were observed. A reduction in the tumor dose is being evaluated to increase the hearing preservation rate.

PMID: 11844261 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: study on proton radiation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 09:13:44 am »
Thanks Ken for sharing this with us! I was also researching Proton as it's performed here in Boston at Mass Gen Hospital. Based on the research you provided here, it pretty well fell in line with what I was able to research locally. I am curious about the last statement of the research:

"A reduction in the tumor dose is being evaluated to increase the hearing preservation rate."

That, to me, was key in helping me chose my treatment of CK, since my last hearing test (last week) did show a slight continued loss in my left ear.  I would be curious of their findings (down the road) of decreasing the doses to help hearing preservation.  I've not been able to find a great deal of online research on proton radiation, so this info is very helpful/valuable.

Thanks again!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ken

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 12:31:21 pm »
Hi p, They are using a lighter  dose on me. This is to help preserve my hearing, So far it seems to me that my hearing is staying the same or maby slighty improving. So far no side effects at all, I have had 21 treatments so far. Only eight to go. Good luck Ken

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 01:10:22 pm »
Ken,

This is fab news! Please keep us updated on your treatments and any outcomes you may experience. As you  know, I tried to research it as best as I could and honestly, you are the only one I knew that was having this form of treatment and that, so far, so good. :)

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Mark

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 11:19:48 pm »
Ken,

Great information on Loma Linda proton beam, thanks for sharing. It's the first one I've seen and is admittedly small in sample but the results certainly look encouraging. Hope the last 8 treatments go smoothly for you.

Good luck

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001