Author Topic: Decision made. Date set... Now what?  (Read 7787 times)

jays

Decision made. Date set... Now what?
« on: August 10, 2009, 09:27:15 am »
This is only my second post, but I've been reading and gathering so much information from this forum - Thank you everyone!

The University of Minnesota is an excellent facility, but after consulting with the surgeons, I decided to have a Middle Fossa surgery somewhere else.  The surgeons there do not have enough experience with this procedure for me to feel comfortable going there, even though I live close by.

I then consulted with the Mayo Clinic and also with the House Clinic.  I finally decided (after battling it out with my insurance  ;D that I will be having my Middle Fossa surgery at the House Ear Clinic on September 9th by Dr. Fayad and Dr. Schwartz.  Is there anyone else who will be there that same time?

I have heard excellent things about House clinic, and personally have found them to be amazing with calling me back to answer questions, and making sure I had everything I needed to make my decision. 

Now that I have the surgery plan in place, I am facing the 'now what' questions.  I know everyone's recovery is different, but of those of you who have had the MF surgery, what should I expect in terms of recovery, rehab, scarring? (does anyone have any pictures of what it looks like post op?)

Is 10 days from surgery typically enough time to fly back home?  Do I need to arrange for a wheelchair at the airport?

I am also planning on staying at Seton Guest Center.  I am thinking about checking in a couple days before my surgery, so my partner and family will have a place to stay, and then staying there after I get out of the hospital.  Any advice on what to expect at Seton? 

???

left AN
4mm x 7mm
Middle Fossa microsurgery at House Clinic 09/09/09 Dr. Fayad and Dr. Schwartz
SSD

Patrick-OC

Re: Decision made. Date set... Now what?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 10:49:51 am »
I had my surgery June 30, 2009 at House.

My tumor was about the same size as yours.
I can only tell you my experience so far being six weeks post-op.

I had MF and the tumor was completely removed. No facial nerve damage, hearing preserved.
Pretty big balance issues (see Wonky Head on the board) but physical therapy is helping a lot.

I stayed at Seton Hall as well.
Clean place, small refrigerator in the room, shared kitchen in the lounge area with people sharing food sometimes.
Computers available with internet although it is dial up so its pretty slow.
My daughter brought her laptop and was able to get a connection from the room.
There is a tunnel between Seton and the hospital which is especially nice after dark. The location is not the greatest for walking around at night.
The cafeteria has food cooked and vended but after a while you may want something else.
The price was right and you get to meet other people who are going through the same things as you.
Hang out in the lounge where the kitchen is and you are bound to meet others having AN surgery.

You need to be there for meetings and tests the day before the surgery.
I arrived an extra day before surgery so we could hang out at the beach and just chill out.
I stayed for ten days after surgery and was ready to go by then.
They actually released me for travel on Wednesday evening but my flight was already set for Friday morning so i stayed the extra day.
I didn't want to travel around LA much after surgery but that was me. I went out once but the cab ride was awful.

Walk as much as you can after surgery and look around in all directions. Make sure someone is with you while you do it so you don't fall.

I arranged to have a wheelchair at the airport. It made it so much easier to deal with the crowds.
You need to request that service from the airline in advance. There is paperwork and you must get a travel release from one of your doctors. Dr. Stefan gave me mine.
Make sure you have a hard copy of it in case the airline says "huh - what wheelchair?" :)

Oops! Almost forgot about the scar.
It's a big ol' curve scar but they keep it all within the hairline.
They will shave that side of your head but it grows back pretty quickly.
No one can see mine anymore.
PM me if you would like to see pictures of mine.

Hope this helps.

Patrick
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:06:27 am by Patrick-OC »
5mm Middle Fossa removal on 6/30/09
House Ear Clinic & St. Vincent's Hospital
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz & Stefan

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 11:27:44 am »
I know this is rather late but the University of Iowa has a super neurotolgist who does ANs on almost a weekly basis.,Dr Bruce Gantz.           There have been several on here who has had their surgery there.           I have NF2 and am very glad we have him in Iowa.      There are many who come from out of state to him.
       I wish you well in your AN journey!                           Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:41:27 am »
Patrick did a great job of covering the things you will experience at House.  I didn't have surgery there or a retro but was going to chime in and say that the wheelchair at the airport is a GREAT thing.  I had the T3 reconstructive surgery last year and i was SOOOOOO glad I had the wheelchair.  We flew Southwest and i didn't even THINK about it until we were checking in to come home.  I asked about it then and was immediately accommodate - of course, this was not AN surgery and I truly looked like I had been in an auto accident so that might have made a difference!!  :o

;D

PS - CHAPSTICK - you have to have Chapstick - it will be your best friend!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 12:46:07 pm »
Hi, jays - and a slighlty belated welcome.  

I'm pleased to learn that you've made that always-difficult decision as to type of treatment you'll have (Middle Fossa surgery) at what institution (HEI) and the doctors you choose to perform the surgery (Dr. Fayad & Dr. Schwartz).  Now, that's done and you can prepare for the surgery and your recuperation.  I didn't have Middle Fossa surgery nor go to the House Ear Institute for the surgery I did have, so I'll step aside and let those who can relate to your question provide the answers you seek.  Patrick has already given you a fair amount of information and I'm sure more will follow as many of our members have had surgery at House.  I took the liberty of posting your surgery date and relevant info on our AN Treatment Calendar here: http://my.calendars.net/an_treatments/d09/09/2009?authenticate=&display=M&style=B.  Of course, I join many others in wishing you a trouble-free surgery and rapid recovery.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 02:48:23 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 02:41:56 pm »
Hi and Welcome!  I'm a House patient - translab surgery was in Nov. w/ Dr. Friedman.  Patrick has given you great thoughts/advice for heading out to LA.  I had a great experience - can not say enough good things about all of the docs, nurses, etc.  As Patrick said, you are bound to meet AN patients out there.  The 6th floor that you'll be on is just full of them...so is Seton House.  My husband stayed at Seton while I was in the hospital.  Once I was out, he flew home and I went to a hotel with my mother for the duration of my stay. 

There are some folks on the forum who live in LA and often they are able to meet w/ patients at the hospital on pre-op day.  We refer to them as the LA Gang - Nancy (NL), David (LAdavid) and Lainie...if you have the opportunity to meet with them, I would highly recommend it!  It is a great comfort to see and talk with them prior to surgery.  Nancy had a middle fossa exactly one year ago at House.

There are various pics of scars out here on the forum somewhere.  You can do a search to try to find some - I'll try to look for some, or someone may come along with a link to a pic. 

Feel free to PM me with any other specific questions you may have.  I, and many others here, will help in any way we can!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Lilan

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 04:19:50 pm »
Get the wheelchair!! The sitting down part is nice -- but being wheeled "directly" through every line and going right onto the plane is priceless. It takes the "tiring" out of travel! You would not want to have to stand and wait in line after line!

You'll have several days of misery and wondering why you put yourself through this, then rapid improvements!

The MF scar is like a giant reverse question mark. Well, don't let me scare you by saying giant. But giant compared to tiny type like this: ?

It's not gory for long. (At first it kind of is, when you have naked scalp and dark thread stitches -- but then those come out and the hair comes back fast.) No one can *believe* I just had this surgery two months ago! (Granted, I have long hair that covers it via combover!)

10 days is the usual routine as long as everything goes according to plan. My surgery was on a Thursday, and I went home the following Sunday.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

mellowrama

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 10:26:05 pm »
Hi Jays,
I'm probably just going to miss you...planning on leaving House on the 5th....good posting I needed to know this stuff too!
Best wishes, Melinda
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 11:09:28 am »
Jays - best wishes, please let us know how things are when you feel up to it.  I'm also considering House so I look forward to any info you (or Melinda) can provide.

Patrick - thanks for all the details and suggestions.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

another NY postie

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 02:29:48 pm »
Hi, Jays, I will miss you to as I will just follow you and arrive on the 21st of September for Sept. 23 surgery.  They told me I could fly back home 10 days after surgery.  I came to the same conclusions as you did and selected House for middle fosa and quantity of this type of surgery performed.  Dr. Brackmann will be doing mine.  Can't wait to hear how it turns out.  Good luck. 
Cheryl
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

jays

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 09:50:18 am »
I'm probably just going to miss you...planning on leaving House on the 5th....good posting I needed to know this stuff too!
Best wishes, Melinda

I will be thinking about you Melinda!  :)
left AN
4mm x 7mm
SSD

jays

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 09:54:56 am »
Hi, Jays, I will miss you to as I will just follow you and arrive on the 21st of September for Sept. 23 surgery.  They told me I could fly back home 10 days after surgery.  I came to the same conclusions as you did and selected House for middle fosa and quantity of this type of surgery performed.  Dr. Brackmann will be doing mine.  Can't wait to hear how it turns out.  Good luck. 
Cheryl

Cheryl -
I should be back home by then.  I am planning on flying home on Sept. 19th.  I will let you know how everything went.
left AN
4mm x 7mm
SSD

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 12:49:31 pm »
Hi Jays,

I had translab at House in January 2008, stayed at Seton Hall, and flew back home to New Jersey ten days after my surgery. As you know, everyone's recovery is different, but I wouldn't just assume that you'll need a wheelchair when you get to the airport. Many patients (myself included) felt well enough to do a fair amount of sightseeing and other activiities post-surgery -- attending the taping of the Jeopardy Teen Tournament at SONY Studios in Culver City six days after my surgery is my favorite memory of my AN experience. The most important thing for you to do during your early recovery is to listen to your body -- REST when it tells you to take it easy.

Best wishes as your surgery date approaches, and I hope your surgery and recovery go smoothly. You'll be in great hands.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 07:24:13 pm »
Hi, Jays.  Welcome to the Forum.

Good luck with your surgery!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mellowrama

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 07:35:33 pm »
thanks Jays, I'll be thinking about you too :)
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011