Author Topic: one year later and all is well  (Read 1431 times)

cathyW

one year later and all is well
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:50:15 am »
Hello everyone, It has been one year since my AN operation and I thought I would give you a update. as i think this will help the newly diagnosed. I have not chimed in for a long time but I always check up on the forum
I had a 1.5cm AN removed last August by Translab. I live in the UK and I do not have a MRI scan until 3 years after the operation, as they removed the all the AN. I have noticed most of you have one after 1 year. Anyway, I was off work for 3 months and then went back on reduced hours for a further month. I had a few  issues with my eye and some facial pain, today my eye looks fine but still does not tear when I cry and looks bigger when I am tired. I thought I had a leak, but it turns out I did'nt. On and off my face hurt a little and still does. I had only a few headaches after the operation and probably around one bad one every 3 months or so. My balance is fine, only stagger sometimes when I lose my balance. the tiredness got less and less as the months passed. So much so that in May I thought I was due a much needed break, so me and my husband went to Ukraine for three weeks. wonderful place by the way. Loads of overnight train journeys and walking, and I was fine for the whole trip. Almost back to normal.
I have to say I only cried twice regarding the whole time regarding my AN, though my heart was broken because I lost my beautiful dad, and all my fears were probably masked by my pain and grief for dad.
So one year later I feel really well, when I went to visit my family up north, they said I looked so well, better than I did before the operation!
I don't feel like my old self though, but nearly. Terrible memory, can't get the words out sometimes. Have the odd day when  I'm very tired still and my face hurts.
I had my BAHA operation in late June, It is werd but I found that worse than the AN op, I had headaches, cried lots, panic attacks, really loud tinitus, but this is all calming down now. phew. I get my BAHA at the end of September.
If it had not been for this forum it would have been a lonely journey.. Thank you all. x
1.5cm AN removed 19th August 2008. SSD, tinnitus, a little facial weakness after op that has almost gone 5 weeks post op.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: one year later and all is well
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:44:39 pm »
Hi, Cathy ~

Thanks for popping in and congratulations on your 1st 'AN anniversary'!  From your account, you endured a few problems but seem to have come through O.K. and with a serene, philosophic attitude about the entire experience.  It was unfortunate that you had the weird occurrence with the BAHA implant but thankfully, that is past and better hearing awaits you.

Thanks for your kind words about the ANA forums and the folks (like you) that make them what they are - helpful, and a place of respite and encouragement for those dealing with all the issues inherent with an AN diagnosis, treatment and recovery.  Please feel free to post a comment anytime.  'Veterans' like you can be most helpful to the newly diagnosed because you've 'been there'. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.