Author Topic: problems 5 days post op  (Read 5257 times)

mll

problems 5 days post op
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:49:58 am »
hey guys sorry it's late but my surgery is over and I'm still trying to recover.  Yesterday I had a nose bleed and have been spitting up a little blood ever since I'm very worried. did this happen to anyone else?

mandy721

Re: problems 5 days post op
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 08:22:09 am »
Nothing like this with my husband.  If you are home from hospital, I would urge you to call your surgeon about the problems you are having.  I feel for you and hope you feel better soon. 
Mandy
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:37:52 am »
mil ~

Spitting up blood and nosebleeds aren't normal under any circumstances, including post AN surgery.  I have no idea what the cause of this may be but I urge you to contact your doctor, immediately.  If that isn't feasible, you may need to visit the Emergency Room of a local hospital.  Let us know what happens, once this has been resolved.  Thanks - and good luck.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:41:07 am »
mll .....

Before answering on this thread, I took time to look at your previous posts.  I'm sorry I missed your pre-surgery posts (my husband was in the hospital and I was "off-line" for several days).  As you can see from the bottom of this post, I also had MVD for trigeminal neuralgia 15 years ago, then retrosigmoid surgery for AN removal a year and a half ago.  So I can identify with some of what you have been through recently.

I did not have the nose bleed and I would strongly urge you to check with your physician about it.  It could be something as simple as a dry nose from hospital dry air or medication.  However, since you just had surgery, you need to be sure it is not something more serious.

In any event, welcome to this forum ...... and let us know how you are going.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

moe

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:33:34 am »
mll,
Yep, call that doctor. Like Clarice said, it could just be the dry nasal passages, or old trauma from the Endotracheal tube, or who knows?
If it is bright red and in large amounts, that is not good.
If it is darker red (like old blood) and in smaller amounts, that is better.
Hopefully nothing at all, but we are very aware of all symptoms post op, as we should be.
Hope to hear good news, :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

mll

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 01:20:57 pm »
ok. talked to my doctor and the nose bleed is just from dry air he says....thank goodness!!!I'm finally feeling good enough to try and eat more than chicken broth now if only I could sleep :)  Thank you guys for all of your help. I can't wait to be better.

moe

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 01:27:49 pm »
Great news!
Maureen :) Maybe some lubricant in the nostril would be in order? :)
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 01:29:23 pm »
ok. talked to my doctor and the nose bleed is just from dry air he says....thank goodness!!!I'm finally feeling good enough to try and eat more than chicken broth now if only I could sleep :)  Thank you guys for all of your help. I can't wait to be better.

it's always somethin'!  :)  If you have a humidifier in the house, hoping that helps as well. Feel better... welcome to winter months north of the equator.... and waiting for you to be better too! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

epc1970

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 02:11:42 pm »
mll
So happy to hear that you nose bleeds are dur to the dry air and nothing more serious! There is a product called Ayr nasal saline gel that you can apply in each nostril-it helps combat the winter dryness. I use it every night along with a humidifier and it really helps!
Erin

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 04:50:20 pm »
Mil ~

Let me echo the words of relief from my fellow ANers after learning that your doctor stated your nosebleeds were based on long exposure to dry air.  I agree with Phyl that a humidifier would be a wise investment and of course, the OTC nasal medicines are also worth considering.  Thanks for letting us know what happened - and take care.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 07:19:43 pm »
Drinking lots of liquids post op is essential.  Although dry air is part of the problem you are experiencing, drinking more liquids will also help.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 06:25:18 pm »
So glad it didn't turn out to be more serious. Hope you're feeling better already.
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

wendysig

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 10:46:11 am »
Hi Mil,

Sorry I am very late coming to this thread.  I hope you are feeling well and am very glad to hear your nosebleeds were not caused by a serious problem.  Please keep us posted on your progress.

Sending wellness wishes your way,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!