Author Topic: Pregnant with an AN?  (Read 7372 times)

designergal

Pregnant with an AN?
« on: November 08, 2009, 07:21:51 pm »
Greetings!

I just found out that I am pregnant....a bit of a surprise pregnancy!  I was scheduled for surgery on Nov. 17th!  I was just wondering if anyone is/was diagnosed with an AN and then became pregnant!  Both my OB and Neurosurgeon have said that it should be a smooth pregnancy.  This is my third pregnancy and I am sure that I had the tumor with my other 2 pregnancies.  I have read that the tumor may grow faster with pregnancy and that hearing can diminish....I currently have full hearing in my AN ear.

Thanks!

opp2

Re: Pregnant with an AN?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 07:26:40 pm »
Congratulations! I don't have any advice for you but I'm very pleased for you!

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

lori67

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 07:48:04 pm »
Hi and welcome!

First of all, congratulations!  And a bit of diminished hearing might not be a bad thing with three kids!   :D

My AN symptoms started at the very end of my pregnancy and I have heard that those raging hormones can make the AN have a growth spurt.  I'm sure since your doctors are aware of your situation, they'll be keeping a very close eye on you to make sure everything is okay.  I'm pretty sure my AN was present for the last 3 of my 4 pregnancies - I guess that 4th one is the one that pushed me over the edge (ha ha - in more ways than one!).

Do you know the size of your AN?  And what were/are your symptoms?  Just curious.

I hope you have a smooth and wonderful pregnancy and have a beautiful bundle of joy!  Keep us posted.  We make great virtual aunts and uncles around here!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:36:58 pm »
I agree with Lori - being deaf in one ear can DEFINITELY be a bonus with a baby ("Honey, wasn't it great that the baby slept the WHOLE night last night?" "She didn't..."  "Oh...you should have awakened me...")!

I trust that everything will go well and know that your Dr's will keep a strict eye out for you & the baby!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 09:41:52 pm »
Congratulations!   ;D  I just LOVE babies!!!

Virtual Aunt Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 07:57:39 am »
Hi Designergal and welcome

I'm sorry about your AN but also extend my congratulations on your future bundle of joy.  I have to agree with Lori and K that diminished hearing can be a blessing in disguise with three kids, especially if your better half ends up hearing the baby during the night while you blissfully sleep through the night!   :D  In all seriousness though, I'm sure your docs will keep a close eye on you to make sure everything is okay.  Please keep us posted regarding your AN and the baby.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

designergal

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 08:27:02 am »
Thanks for the well wishes!  Sad part is I was thinking I may drop a few pounds with the surgery....now it looks like I am about to gain a few!  Urgh!

And yes...its a running joke in our house about my hearing...I keep wondering when it will diminish! LOL!  And say often......I wish it wasn't so good!  And as far as night time....I am a heavy sleeper....my poor husband takes over the midnight shift with our 2 year old!  I just don't hear her!  Hehe! 

My AN is 2cm.....and I currently have lightheadness,  balance issues and constant ringing in the ear.....which seems to be both ears!  I hear it more in my left....the AN is on the right side.  I sometimes get stabbing pains in the AN ear...which I assume are typical. 

Again...thanks for support! 

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 01:29:19 pm »
Congratulations!!!

I've always heard that these things grow very slowly.  My surgeon gave me the option of waiting until next summer to remove my tumor if that fit into my school schedule better, so I don't see why it would be a problem to wait until after your pregnancy is over.  I hate to point out the negative, but there is a good chance that you are going to lose hearing in your ear even if you had surgery tomorrow, so although waiting isn't ideal, it certainly isn't the end of the world either.  Enjoy your pregnancy.   :)

Lyn

P.S.  I'm still giggling about "Virtual Aunt Jan."  That was so adorable!!!
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 02:09:14 pm »
Congrats!
For what it's worth, my youngest just turned one when I was diagnosed with a "giant" AN, so I'm positive I had it through the pregnancy. Everything was just fine (aside from the normal pregnancy things.. haha), including my homebirth (had both at home) - so I'm sure all will be well for you, too!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 02:29:17 pm »
I like the idea of virtual aunts and uncles ...... I'll volunteer as a virtual grandma!   ;D

CONGRATS, by the way!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

designergal

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 04:07:52 pm »
I too giggled when I saw the vitual Auntie Jan!  Read it last night at 2am.....I can sleep through our 2 year old yelling for Mommy and Daddy...but can't seem to shake the dog pawing my face to be let out!....ugh

Love the vitual Auntie and Grandma!  Thanks!!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 04:28:40 pm »
Designergal ~

Congratulations on your (unexpected) pregnancy!  I'm sure you'll do just fine.  Frankly, although I've read that pregnancy may spur tumor growth, I'm not sure this is scientifically proven.  In any case, I'm confident that all will go well and you can have your AN surgery in due time.  Perhaps some of the 'virtual aunts' can baby-sit.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 07:27:08 pm »
With all the virtual aunties and grannies, you will be busy posting pictures for all of us to see!  You should be just fine.  Your drs. know about your condition (both of them  ;) ), so they will be keeping a careful eye on you.  Read, research, and rest.  You are going to be one busy mom!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 07:41:31 am »
I'm still giggling about "Virtual Aunt Jan." 

Actually I can't take credit for that idea, since it was Lori's.

I think being a virtual aunt would be great - and yes, I'd babysit if I could.

I'm also open to sending birthday and holiday gifts;  just don't count on me for the college fund - I have two of my own to fund 4 years from now, if I can get them to pass 8th grade  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 08:00:14 am »
I'm still giggling about "Virtual Aunt Jan." 

Actually I can't take credit for that idea, since it was Lori's.

I think being a virtual aunt would be great - and yes, I'd babysit if I could.

I'm also open to sending birthday and holiday gifts;  just don't count on me for the college fund - I have two of my own to fund 4 years from now, if I can get them to pass 8th grade  ;)

Jan

Oh, I see!  I missed that the first time through.  Either way, you ladies are a hoot.  (As we say down here in the South!)
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.