Author Topic: drinking alcohol after surgery?  (Read 11188 times)

sunshine16

drinking alcohol after surgery?
« on: March 29, 2006, 10:18:05 am »
I don't drink any kind of alcohol even wine or beer, but occasionally I do w/ friends or family.  I'm just wondering if I could drink any alcohol?

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: drinking alcohol after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 01:23:46 pm »
Sunshine--
I think that depends on if you are on any meds--you can always call your pharmacist--they usually will be able to respond quicker that your doc.
Dr "Hits" did my surgery, too.  He reminded me of a big teddy bear or Santa Claus! When I had my first meeting with him--hew sort of drew a picture of the surgical proceedure and, being that I'm a professional artist, I critiqued his drawing skills. He got quite a chuckle out of it!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

sunshine16

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 01:39:59 pm »
I love Dr. Hits.   Everyone in HEC..

No, I'm not taking any kind of medications right now.  I guess, I'll wait till my next appt. to my doctors to ask them about this and many other questions...

thank you! 

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 01:54:36 pm »
HEC was awesome--I fell in love with everyone there--maybe it was the happy pills post-op! I especially loved the mashed potatoes in the dining hall after I was sprung fom the hospital ward back into the guest center.  I tried to eat my weight in them every night!
Capt Deb

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 02:10:06 pm »
sunshine hun.

Have to agree about the meds... if you are on any meds that note "do not operate heavy machinery, like forklifts or flying airplanes", then I'd stay clear.  If an occassional glass of wine (since you note you are not on meds... fabulous news, actually!) is what you desire, heck, I'm not a dr but can't see why not.

Capt'n's recommendation for your next follow up appt sounds like a winning plan... sounds like Dr. Hits may want a drink with you at that point. Have heard nothing but good about him! :)

xoxooxox

(oh, btw.... {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGGLES}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}  )
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

sunshine16

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 02:32:11 pm »
Hey Phyl,

how are you??????????  Thanks for huggles...  real sweet of you.  yeah, Dr. Hits is very nice,  Very accomodating and compassionate! 

Capt Deb, Did you have your surgery in St. Vincent?  I love the Cafeteria foods there, cheap and good!!!!  I guess for my next appt.  I will just stay in Seton Center where it's close to the cafeteria/food... Yummy!!!!!!!!!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 02:51:24 pm »
Hey Phyl,

how are you??????????  Thanks for huggles...  real sweet of you.  yeah, Dr. Hits is very nice,  Very accomodating and compassionate! 

Doing fine hun.. truly!  Just prepping for next week.  120 hrs to go... can you tell I'm doing fine? ;) :)

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 05:40:10 pm »
Sunshine: If you're not on medication there's no reason you can't have a drink or two, be careful with wine if it tends to give you a headaches this is just asking for it.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 06:09:34 pm »
The only thing I was told was a definite no no was rollercoasters.  I've had about two sips of an alocholic drink they I used to enjoy and it tasted horrible to me.  I agree with Phyl is wine or beer tends to give you a headache then I'd be careful with it.

Jeanlea

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 07:41:21 pm »
I did have a pina colada and some wine while I was on vacation.  I think if I drank too much I might be having a problem with my balance though.  From now on I can always blame it on AN balance problems.  lol

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 10:06:36 pm »
Boppies son had a client he defended who was accused of drunk driving but had a vestibular problem.  We could have one drink and not be able to pass a drunk test due to vestibuler vs the alcohol.  What a  nightmare that would be to defend!

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 10:26:31 pm »

Capt Deb, Did you have your surgery in St. Vincent?  I love the Cafeteria foods there, cheap and good!!!!  I guess for my next appt.  I will just stay in Seton Center where it's close to the cafeteria/food... Yummy!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah--on the same ward, too. That whole floor is for AN patients. Dr. Love and I were at Seton two nights before and 6 days after my surgery.  It was great being able to have him with me all the time--what a convenience for the families.
Capt Deb

SorchaC

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 08:28:01 am »
If it is not contra-indicated by your meds... then go ahead....
Great thing is you won't looked any more drunk after a couple than you did before.... if you have the balance problems.....
A couple of drinks... like chocolate..... is good for the soul.....

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 09:35:09 am »
heck, I'd flunk a sobriety test anyway.. the radio-oncologist had me attempt the "heel-toe" walk in the exam room and failed miserably there... BUT, I'm always DD (designated driver) so you all can partake... will keep my martini usage to home base! :)

Battyp

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 09:36:59 am »
I'm always the DD too which is scarey enough sober LOL

I still can't pass that durn heel toe test!

Sorchac needs to join our cruise!  Drinks and Chocolate mentioned all in the same sentence!  YEAH ;D