Author Topic: If its not one thing its another...  (Read 10866 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: If its not one thing its another...
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 09:52:11 am »
Ernie!!! Sheesh! Don't make me be worrying about you!  here's the continued wellness wishes and hoping they made your incision a pretty one to show off on Gold coast beaches.

Feel better... and let the BoSox FreeAgent fun begin! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 10:01:12 am »
Oh yeah, forgot to answer that question.  They didn't take a fat graft.  I had plenty, but they just used titanium mesh instead.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

lori67

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2009, 11:05:39 am »
Ernie,

Maybe you should have had them remove all your spare parts while they had you under - save yourself a trip back to the OR!   :D

Hope you're feeling better soon!  STAY OUT OF THE HOSPITAL NOW!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2009, 01:20:38 pm »
I never worry about you, Ernie.  You're in and out of the OR in no time.  Piece of cake.  But, of course, sorry you had to told to slow down again.  Maybe you should pace yourself so your body doesn't revolt again!

On the fat graft thing . . . mine's on my right!!!   ???

Oops. Bad doctor. Maybe you need to get a tattoo that says "Not my appendix"
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2009, 05:27:04 pm »
Ernie ~

I was sorry to learn that you lost your misbehaving appendix (via surgery) but glad you got through the appendectomy in good shape, otherwise.  Rest and heal.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keri

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 11:36:23 pm »
Hi Ernie,
I hope you're on your way to a good recovery too. Thanks for keeping us updated.
Rest!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2009, 02:45:02 pm »
re: fat graft location
I thought maybe they had me tilted so it was easier to get it from the same side as my AN.  Okay, who wants to do a thread "AN side vs. fat graft side"?
And maybe they figured if I do have to be like Ernie, then I won't have any more abdominal scars.  I have a lovely one from two C-sections.  It's a whole art project down there.  Not to mention my knees, my right shoulder and both wrists.  I'm a surgeon's dream!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2009, 03:00:01 pm »
Art project - that's a good one. My mom refers to her scars, stretch marks, varicose veins, etc. as the "roadmap of my life."

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

cindyj

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2009, 03:10:59 pm »
Sorry about the need for surgery again, Ernie.  I would think it probably would be more painful than AN surgery for sure!  But, hopefully, shorter recovery period...of course, you are the champ of recoveries around here!

Cindy

Nancy's survey:  right side AN, left side fat graft :D
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2009, 03:28:43 pm »
Cheese on bread, Ernie!  Enough with the surgeries!!  I've had 3 since my brain got scooped, but none of them were as fun as Middle Fossa, especially with the fancy haircut.  Hope you feel better soon and that you rest up and take it easy for a while.  I just posted a joke on the something funny thread that should cheer ya right up!!!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 03:43:01 pm »
Nancy's survey:  right side AN, left side fat graft Cheesy

Well, that blows my whole theory.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

EJTampa

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 08:15:38 pm »
When I read appendix it brought back memories of my AN surgery.  My docs told me they take the fat out of the left side of the abdomen so no one mistakes the scar for an appendectomy scar.  Do both sides of your abdomen match now?
Jan

Hey Jan,

I was thinking (and looking at my new battle scars).  Although my appendix was on the right side, there are no holes on that side at all.  I have one in the belly button, one below the belly button, and one on the LEFT side.  They said they took the appendix out through the belly button.

Oh, and I'm doing fine, but they won't let me go back to work until I get cleared by the doctor!  I made a 1 week appt instead of the two they told me to.  I'll go nuts sitting at home for 2 weeks :).  Also - I look like I'm about 3 months pregnant.  I hope that's just the gas and swelling and not the new me  :o.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 09:01:10 pm »
That's interesting, Ernie, I did not have any bloat after mine. However, I had the old-fashioned cut and not belly-button surgery. Did they have to inflate your abdomen to see better to get it out? If so, I'm sure it will dissipate with time.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

EJTampa

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 09:04:13 pm »
Yep, filled my mid-section with CO2 they did.  Maybe I just need to uncork the belly button and squeeze the tummy a bit :).  I called the docs office and they said it's normal.

Ernie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 10:47:44 pm »
my appendix was on the right side, there are no holes on that side at all.  I have one in the belly button, one below the belly button, and one on the LEFT side.  They said they took the appendix out through the belly button.

Ah, yes, laproscopic surgery; I know it quite well.  MUCH better than the old-fashioned kind.

If you still have gas, just keep burping and it'll go away.  Shoulder pain is also something you might encounter, so if you have it, don't worry.

Best wishes for a rapid recovery - and no more surgery in the near future  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways