Author Topic: Questions, Questions and more Questions  (Read 2003 times)

ginger21

Questions, Questions and more Questions
« on: November 21, 2009, 04:52:32 pm »
Ok, so this is all very new to me and all of you have been so kind and have encouraged me to come here with any questions. Since my AN is 4mm I am told I have lots of time, this is good. I will be having another MRI in January and I can only hope and pray there is no change. I have come to one decision though, even if there is some change and there is growth, I think I may wait until the next 6 mon MRI to see what is happening with it. This will give me much more time to reseach and think on what I want to do. SO here are my questions.

What kind of recovery time am I looking at if I have surgery ( my Dr says middle fossa would be best for me)?

What kind of recovery am I looking at if I have GK or CK? (my husband is very opposed to me having this, he thinks I will have more problems with the radiation later in life)

Is it my imagination, some times I think I hear tinnus in my good ear?

How well do hearing aids work in the AN ear before surgery? ( would like to get them now)

Does any one get headaches related to a pre surgery AN?( am a migraine suffer and have had them since I was 11, but now I am getting head aches on the left side of my head, my AN is right. But I do not get the migraine auras and numbness with them. Only had this for about 1 year now.)

Thank you in advance for your answers to my questions.

Ginger

W & W as of 01/27/2010 keeping my fingers crossed for the next 6 months
4mm AN-right side
www.facebook.com/gingerleigh72

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Questions, Questions and more Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 05:33:46 pm »

What kind of recovery time am I looking at if I have surgery ( my Dr says middle fossa would be best for me)?

It's quite individualized, but 6 weeks is the average recovery time.  You may need longer but 6 weeks is probably the minium.   

What kind of recovery am I looking at if I have GK or CK? (my husband is very opposed to me having this, he thinks I will have more problems with the radiation later in life).

Radiation treatment has a short recovery time, measured in days, not weeks.  Some procedures allow you to resume normal activities within 24 - 48 hours.

Is it my imagination, some times I think I hear tinnitus in my good ear?

That's almost impossible to answer - but it is not out of the question.

How well do hearing aids work in the AN ear before surgery? ( would like to get them now).

That would depend on how much hearing you now have - and that can only be determined with a hearing test.  An audiologist can give you a more definitive answer.

Does any one get headaches related to a pre surgery AN? (I'm a migraine suffer and have had them since I was 11, but now I am getting head aches on the left side of my head, my AN is right. But I do not get the migraine auras and numbness with them. Only had this for about 1 year now.)

Yes - but I'm not knowledgeable on this issue - so I'll pass.  Others can probably give you a better answer.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 05:51:17 pm »
Ginger .....

It is good to read that you are relaxing about all of this a bit.  The initial shock of your diagnosis sent you searching for lots of information ..... this is so normal for many of us.  It is good to have all of the facts but I am glad you are not rushing to a conclusion without spending more time processing all of the information.

Jim has given you very good answers to your questions.  Re:  the tinnitus in your good ear ..... yes, I have tinnitus in my "good" ear, as well.  However, it is hugely louder in the AN ear.  Re:  hearing aids ..... I am wearing a MicroTech Curve 7 now post-surgery with fairly good results.  There are several problems with being fitted for a hearing aid before surgery ...... not the least of which is cost and if you should end up SSD, it would be a total waste of money (like $3,000 - none covered by most insurances).  Also, depending upon how your AN grows, your hearing is potentially going to be changing significantly between now and treatment and it could be a major hassle to keep trying to fine-tune the decibel levels/background noise, etc.

I had migraine-like headaches for most of my adult life but amazingly virtually none since my AN surgery almost two years ago so I am not much help there.

Best wishes.  Keep asking away .....   :D

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ginger21

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 10:42:46 pm »
wow you guys are quick. So fast a getting back to me. I have always been a health person, of couse like all of you, never thought I would have such a health problem. But I guess I learned alot from my dad with out even knowing, find a support group. My dad had polio at a young age. As the people who had polio they have developled other health issues and alot of Drs do not have the understanding to work with them. He jointed a support group years ago and has found so much help from others. I do have heretary hearing loss in my good ear. So as you can image hearing is getting very hard. I manage a very busy optometry office, and comunication with my patients is very important. I know after my hearing test in January, I will be going to see my dads audioligist, and see about a hearing aid for my left ear. This I am hoping will help me more at work. One good thing about the heretary thing is my dad has already done so much reseach in hearing aids (he has had them for about 15 years now) I already have an in, in that department. Thank you again for everything, this has been soooooooooooooo good for me. It has really help me not feel so fearful of what is to come. An the best part is I have time on my hands. I guess you always have to look for the good in everything.
W & W as of 01/27/2010 keeping my fingers crossed for the next 6 months
4mm AN-right side
www.facebook.com/gingerleigh72

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 08:12:10 am »
Ginger~
I will just address the last question about headaches...I had HORRIBLE HEADACHES before I had surgery for many years (my tumor was quite large) and rarely ever have them since I had it removed almost 14 years ago.  In fact, i thought that all AN's caused headaches and that they disappeared after you had surgery.  It wasn't until I found this Forum that i found out that many have them (debilitating so) AFTER they have surgery.  I feel very blessed that I don't have them now...

K

PS - I had a translab if that helps any...
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!