Author Topic: Four Months And Counting - So Far So Far!  (Read 3137 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Four Months And Counting - So Far So Far!
« on: November 30, 2009, 02:58:26 pm »
 :) Today marks my Fourth Month out from Translab Surgery to remove my AN.  Coincidently, I had an appointment with my Cardiologist this morning.  We've been paying so much attention to my head, we almost forgot that I also have a heart condition; my pressure was 164 / 102 this morning.  I've been put back on all of the medication they took me off of while I was in hospital because it lowered my pressure to much.  Now, the concern is to get my pressure back under control so, in the Cardiologists words, I don't start bleeding where the AN used to be. 

I can't seem to win for losing, that's for sure.  Have an Echocardiogram scheduled for this Friday.  I had a Heart Attack and Bypass in April 08 and six stents put in the Bypass Grafts since, so while I was recovering from the AN Surgery I was also being monitored daily by the Cardiologist; I know, I'm a mess.  My Neurosurgeon gaged how long he could keep me on the operating table and how much tumor he could remove, based on how badly I bled; I also take Plavix which they stopped five days before surgery and started me back on a week afterwards.

It's all gonna be good!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Four Months And Counting - So Far So Far!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:03:05 pm »
Doc ~

I'm definitely sorry about these heart problems - but congratulations on your 4-month 'anniversary'!  I hope your cardiologist will be soon be able to get your heart issues under control.  I think i't's all gonna be good', too!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 06:19:04 pm »
4 months so far,  I know this really is still a rough time for you.  At my 4 month mark I was having my gold weight removed from my eye due to an allergic reaction (wasn't happy with that as you can imagine !).    Believe it or not Doc, you'll find things will start getting better, feel like you're in rhythm with your life again.
I wish you all the best on your journey.  Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Doc

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:25:54 pm »
Thanks Nancy & Jim!  I always appreciate the kind words.  FYI, that eye procedure I had last Wednesday seems to have done the trick.  I haven't had to patch my eye since Friday when I took the bandages off.  I only cover my eye with the night plastic shield to be sure I don't scratch it in my sleep.  The only pain I'm experiencing right now is the soreness from the sutures that are scheduled to come out this Wednesday morning.  I do apply ointment in the eye--a lot--about every 90 minutes to maintain a nice comfort level.  I asked and was told my Tear Ducts are working properly...woohoo!

Thanks again!
  ;)
Doc

And like Nancy always says - "Always good thoughts!"  What a great mantra!
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 06:43:48 pm »
Why are the stitches coming out already, Doc? I thought that a tarsorrhaphy was left in for a while until some eyelid function returns.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Doc

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 06:52:33 pm »
Don't know Sara...they scheduled me to go back in this Wednesday to have the stitches removed.  Bolsters weren't used, maybe that's why...I really don't know?!? Should I be questioning the Surgeon before he takes them out?!?

Thanks!

Doc

mandy721

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:35:53 pm »
Doc,
You are just a few days further along in your recovery than my husband is.  I hope  that your cardiac condition will be under control soon and that your eye and face improve.  Ken's face hasn't shown any improvement, but the docs and pt say that the tone is improving.  His eye is a constant problem and it seems that it is just the way it is for now.  I have only a slight idea of what you are going through, but based on what Ken has experienced, it sounds like you have had an unimaginably hard time.   I will never understand any of this and just want all of the people suffering from complications of this surgery to heal and feel better.
Mandy
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

cyrmom2

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 10:57:48 pm »
Hi Doc. 
Bet you are glad these past four months are over!!!  Here's to more recovery and less doctor's visits in the near future!

PS
I checked out your blog pics.  Why is your incision shaped differently? Love the picture with your puppy!  Our Wheaten and Dalmatian would not be as cooperative.
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

moe

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 11:30:30 pm »
Happy (?) four month anniversary, Doc!
You have been through the ringer, along with your heart condition. You have your hands FULL just taking care of yourself. You are a trooper, and the sense of humor helps tremendously.
Do you have your own Blood pressure machine? Might not be a bad idea.
One more thing to add to your daily routine >:(
Can't help it, it's the home health nurse coming out of me! 120-140/60-80! Those are my parameters!
Gotta keep the BP down, don't want other health issues arising....
Hang in there, hopefully your eye will feel bettter after the stitches come out.
How much  does your eye appear stitched shut, now that the swelling has gone down.
I can't tell.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty