Author Topic: SPECTACLE HEARING AIDS  (Read 7796 times)

Micky

SPECTACLE HEARING AIDS
« on: December 03, 2009, 04:24:39 am »
Hi All

I had a BAHA trial earlier on this year and wasn’t sure about, it certainly helped. I went back to my ENT and he suggested another trial so I had a new audiologist this time and we spoke about my concerns about the BAHA, my main concern is I’m a forest Firefighter and won’t be able to wear my helmet with the BAHA on and I’m not sure about having the unit stuck to my head.

So we talked about other options and she was saying a professor in the hospital wears spectacle aids. I know this wont be a good as the BAHA but she thinks it will help me hear a bit more on my deaf side, has anyone used these before or know anyone with them?????????????
I don’t wear glasses but don’t mind the idea of wearing the glasses if it helps me in my day to day life.

The thing that grabs me most about this is its non surgical.

Any thoughts would love to know cheers

Happy Micky  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :)

http://www.phsrepaircentre.co.uk/7.html
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: SPECTACLE HEARING AIDS
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:51:07 am »
Micky -

I have never heard of spectacle aids before; very interesting. 

I have a BAHA and love it, but I totally understand that it's not for everyone. 

Have you looked into the TransEar?  You wear it inside your ear, so a helmet wouldn't be a problem.  It's non-surgical also.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:47:31 am »
Ok this is very cool and a definite for me being that I can no longer wear contacts (dry eye on AN side) and have to wear glasses ALL the time now.

PLEASE if you get more info- clue us in.

Thanks for sharing.

You know I was just in Canada on a tippry ferry. I notice this one guy with a little facial weakness and was having a heck of a time balancing on the boat. I thought he had a baha and was about to approach him and talk to him about it... then I saw that what ever he was wearing was attached to his glasses and not a baha. SO I never mustered up the courage to chat with him.

I wonder if he had one of these?

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 10:07:14 am »
Cool.  And thanks for fighting those fires!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 05:06:42 pm »
Mickey ~

I did a quick Goggle search and came up with this .  It may interest you.  http://www.spectaclehearingsystems.co.uk/id7.html

However, I believe the cost is high (perhaps as much as $2,500.) and there is a good chance that medical insurance would balk at paying for this.  Still, it seems to be what you're looking for and so, it might be worth checking out.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:03:16 am »

However, I believe the cost is high (perhaps as much as $2,500.)

I have been searching for a price and  a US (or Canadian) supplier - not having much luck. How did you come up with this price- Jim?

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:39:14 pm »
I have been searching for a price and a US (or Canadian) supplier - not having much luck.  How did you come up with this price, Jim?

DHM ~ 

I ascertained that price from various sources I found on the internet  This U.K. website has a price of $1,659 Pounds (minus lenses) which is about $2,700. in U.S. dollars.  http://clickhearing.com/digital-hearing-aids-price-list  (scroll down to 'Bone Conducted Spectacle Frames').  I'm sure prices will vary according to the vendor.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Micky

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 04:38:04 am »
Hi all

Still waiting for the audiologist to get back to me with a quote and some more info. There is not allot of info on the net
3cm+ Acoustic Neuroma Removed 30/01/08

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 08:49:07 am »
NOT available in the USA and in Canada
 :(

This is the e-mail reply I had back from the manufacturer of these.

Many thanks for your interest in our products.

Unfortunately we do not deliver to America or Kanada because we have no distributor there.

Kind regards,
Eva Papenberg
Administration
bruckhoff hannover gmbh
Herrenstr. 6
30159 Hannover
Germany
Tel. +49 511 167 00 0
Fax +49 511 167 00 50
Amtsgericht Hannover HRB Nr. 1195
Trade Registry Hannover HRB No. 1195
Geschäftsführer Henning Bruckhoff
CEO Henning Bruckhoff

Hmmmm is there a budding business person in our midst wanting to finding there niche in the market? Maybe you may want to contact them to start up a business - as a distributor. "If" the price is reasonable to customers  – this could be a booming business.

DHM