Author Topic: Snow in Houston? Really?  (Read 8599 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Snow in Houston? Really?
« on: December 04, 2009, 01:29:05 pm »
Whodathunk that Houston would have snow before New York?  People are going nuts here now..

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Snow in Houston? Really?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 03:09:53 pm »
HUH?  We've yet to see anything measureable here and we're only about 15 minutes from Chicago.

Lots of white stuff blowing around last night, but none of it stuck.  Thank goodness!  I didn't want to spend my morning shoveling!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 04:44:10 pm »
No measurable snow in WV yet, but look what we saw late Wednesday afternoon.  Absolutely awesome!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 04:55:49 pm »
Dave got an e-mail that they were closing the Houston office at noon due to the snow - talk about role reversal!!  When I taught PE in Houston, it snowed one day - parents were checking their kids out of school so they could play in it!  I had football on the books for that day so we played football in the snow!  :D

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 05:12:20 pm »
*giggles*

'bout time! :D

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

wendysig

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 09:26:24 pm »
Brian and Kay,,

I know you don't get much snow down there.  Many years ago I was in San Antonio visiting my brother who was in the army and stationed at Fort Sam Houston.  I ended up staying almost a month and flew home Christmas Eve.  My flight was delayed for six hours because it snowed and they had to clear and salt the runways but didn't  have any salt and had to send for it.  I don't know where it came from but I got home for Christmas.  Hope your';e enjoying the white stuff, we might be getting some here in NYC tomorrow.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 11:02:15 pm »
Clarice -

incredible picture!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 07:16:32 am »
Seems everyone all around us got snow....we had more like sleet and it didn't stick!  I did wake up to a very heavy frost this morning and the South side of 517 was without electricity, so since my daughter and her family live in that part of town, we had a pajama party here last night and everyone stayed toastie warm and filled up on pizza!  Neat pictures, Brian!!  I'm glad it was on your end and not mine!  :D  oh and Brian, Houston does a lot of things we don't get credit for before NY, but you are talking about the city aren't you?  "cause Western New York had measurable snow in October, early October and that is why I choose to live in Texas!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

lori67

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 08:17:24 am »
Clarice,

That is a beautiful picture!

And you southerners just crack me up!  Offices closing because of that little bit of snow?  I think you should all be forced to spend a winter in Upstate NY!   ;D  I remember the first winter I spent in Virginia Beach and we got about 2 inches of snow - the whole city shut down for about 3 days!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Brendalu

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 10:47:01 am »
Lori, I have to agree!  People here get crazy when there is a little snow.  Of course they are not prepared for it and when there is ice, it is dangerous everywhere.  When I lived in Western New York State, I lived out in the country and sometimes the road didn't get plowed for days and we are talkin a couple of feet of snow!  Fortunately, here in Texas we have never had a pipe freeze or snow that lasted more than a few hours...................and I like it that way!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 11:43:08 am »
It's snowing here now and it is beautiful!  Not even poking my nose out of this warm house--I am allergic to cold weather at my age.  And to think I lived in Aspen for 2 years!!  Dr Love and I were snowed in for 7 days just after we were married--no power and hundreds of downed trees on our dead end dirt road.  We climbed through the trees to get food from friends and then climbed back home.  We have a wood stove and a gas range and we melted snow to bathe and flush the heads.  It was actually kinda fun! Especially cuz we were newlyweds!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 03:24:23 pm »
Brenda,

Does everyone there run out to the store and clear the shelves of all the bread, milk and bottled water?  They do that here at the mere mention of the word snow.  It's funny.  If I'm going to be snowed in, I think I'll pass on the bread, milk and bottled water.  Make mine some rum, coke and chips!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 03:42:14 pm »
Lori, same in Iowa and it even makes the tv news showing all the people going nuts in a grocery store.     But then I live out in the country and my paved road by us is probably plowed faster than some of the bigger city streets with just houses.     Our first big snow is Tues.       All my Xmas shopping is done so don't have to worry about getting out more than I need to now.   
  We are taking the grand kids to see the lights tonight.           Plus Des Moines has a  Jolly Holiday Lights display we will see too.
                                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 03:52:32 pm »
Have fun! Too bad you didn't have a little snow for the lights though.  That would be pretty.  We have the Light at the Beach here, where you drive down the boardwalk and see all the displays.  It's really fun.  They even give you a CD of Christmas songs to play in your car during the ride.  It's been pouring (just rain) here today, so I don't think that will help add to the holiday spirit at all.

Lori

Brendalu

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 11:17:31 pm »
Lori,
They sure do!  Except yesterday it was maybe a good idea because half of the stores were closed for several house because of the weather caused power outage.  Of course if you bought stuff for the freezer or frig it could have been for naught.  It is supposed to be 70 by Wednesday!!  That is more my kind of weather.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT