Author Topic: Are dental X-rays safe for a radiated AN?  (Read 3317 times)

mk

Are dental X-rays safe for a radiated AN?
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:13:31 am »
Hello everyone,

I had a routine dentist appointment today, and they wanted to do X-rays for the check-up. I suddenly realized that I haven't seen any information about this - are dental X-rays safe for a radiated AN? (I had GK approximately 20 months ago). To be on the safe side I asked them not to do it, but I was wondering, has anyone heard if there is a reason not to do an X-ray?

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Mickey

Re: Are dental X-rays safe for a radiated AN?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:20:16 am »
Very interesting! I would call and ask the people who done your GK. Let us know what transpires. Best wishes, Mickey

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 01:01:06 pm »
Marianna .....

Although I did not have radiation for my AN (I had surgery), I did have radiation exposure to my nose as a teenager.  Because of several CT scans of my head and this history, I routinely ask my dentist to only do x-rays when he suspects a problem.  IMHO dental x-rays are greatly overdone to prevent lawsuits ..... but that is just me.  If you have serious issues with dental problems or a strong family history of dental problems, it might be a different situation for you.

Maybe someone on here knows of any studies on this.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 04:48:00 pm »
Marianna ~

Now you tell me!  :)

I had my usual every-3-years dental X-rays last summer and suffered no ill effects.  My dentist is very professional and is well aware of my AN history, including the FSR treatments  I underwent in 2006.  I'm pretty sure - but not positive - that dental X-rays pose no real problem to anyone who has undergone the GammaKnife procedure.  Of course, I'm in my 60's and the idiom 'long term' is qualified by my expected life span (about 15 years).  Not that I'm counting or anything.

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mk

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 11:24:17 am »
OK, so I asked the doctors at the Cyberknife support forum. Dr. Medberry said no problem at all. This, together with Jim's  comment about his dentist being well aware of his AN history, pretty much convinces me that there is no need to avoid X-rays.

Having said this I agree with Clarice about dentists overdoing it with dental X-rays. Both times that I refused to have them at my dentists' office, he said "no problem, we will do some old fashion diagnostics" - which worked just fine. This made me realize that before having widespread access to X-rays, dentists were still able to do their job - so may be it is prudent to use them as a diagnostic tool sparsly, only as needed.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Agate

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 03:10:12 pm »
Good question!  I had my GK in October and was concerned about X-rays when I had my dentist appointment this week.  I was glad that I wasn't actually due to have them until June!  I'm always finding out some little bit of info when I read the forum.