Author Topic: Facial Control - Had it now it's gone.  (Read 7171 times)

Eli

• The scar is a c-section 4 the 2nd half of my life
Facial Control - Had it now it's gone.
« on: December 24, 2009, 08:23:50 am »
All,

I had a translab on Friday, 12/11/09 for a right-sided 2.5cm AN. Surgery went well. The tumor was completely removed. The facial nerve was splayed in a helpful position over the tumor and was undamaged during the surgery. I left the hospital with 80% control of the right side of my face.

On Saturday, 12/19/09, one week post-op control of my face went to about 40%. I was having trouble moving my mouth, blinking, etc. By Sunday morning, I'd lost further control - down to about 20%. I called the hospital that morning and am back on steroids and an anti-viral.

I educated myself before surgery enough to know that this was a possible outcome. I still realize that most people recover this facial control as time goes on. From what I've read, it seems that this can take up to a year.

I guess I wasn't really expecting to loose control like I did since I left the hospital in such great shape.

If anyone has any suggestions that might help me deal with the loss of control or on how to regain it, please post a follow up.

Thanks!

Diagnosed - 09/29/09 with 1.9cm x 2.1cm x 1.7 cm right side AN - Like a huge Greek oliver in my head... Thus named Oliver...

Translab - 12/11/09 at UofIA Healthcare
Complete tumor removal. Facial nerve perserved.

Dealing with facial issues and wonkyheadiness now.

Kaybo

Re: Facial Control - Had it now it's gone.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 08:32:48 am »
Eli~
Welcome!  I know someone will come along that can tell you more about this than I can.  I woke up with paralysis and it never went away so i never really dealt with the comin' and goin'!  :D  I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading on here that for the folks that had movement to begin with, it usually DOES come back...it is like your face (all those nerves) and your body just has too much to deal with right now & had to shut something down so it can concentrate on healing something else first.  I know that doesn't make it any easier, but have faith and PATIENCE - the dirty word on here!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

epc1970

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 09:07:59 am »
Eli
I think that there have been a couple of others here on the forum that had delayed paralysis post surgery recently-Denise S and Mike "loose screws" come to mind. I think that after a few weeks they both have started to see recovery. I hope that gives you some tangible hope that yours will follow suit. I woke up from surgery with facial paralysis and at about week 3 started to see that resolve. Of course, we are all different but I would guess that since you had good function initially, the prognosis for recovery would be good. It's not easy but this will teach you the true meaning of patience. I just told myself every day until I saw progress that my body was taking the time it needed to heal and did everything in my power (rest, eating healthy,following my Dr's instructions) to give my body what it needed to do that. Take care.
Erin

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 12:15:48 pm »
Eli, delayed facial palsy is VERY common following the surgery that I had, a microvascular decompression for hemifacial spasm. Delayed facial palsy has a very good chance of resolving completely in a relatively short timeframe.

See the article at http://neurosurgery.mgh.harvard.edu/CranialBaseCenter/b95.htm, particularly the section on predicting facial nerve recovery.

Best wishes for a full, fast recovery.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 12:19:30 pm »
Oh yeah, you are on exactly the right treatment plan.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 04:07:06 pm »
Hi, Eli - and welcome.

I'm sorry to learn of your post-op loss of facial mobility but as others have noted and you seem to realize, this is not a terribly uncommon occurrence.  Steroids often help.  I didn't experience this problem so I don't have any specific advice but there are a variety of helpful facial 'exercises' available and of course, time is the best healer.  However, regaining  facial mobility always seems to proceed at a glacial pace.  That being the case, I have to echo Kay's (Kaybo) astute advice to try and be patient.  Many of the folks who post in these forums had this issue to deal with post-op and I'm sure they'll be able to offer you relevant suggestions on coping.  As Erin (epic1970) posted, if you had normal facial mobility before the surgery, the facial paralysis should be temporary and resolve within a few weeks, but there is no absolute guarantee or exact time-frame.  I wish there was! 

Please feel free to ask any question you may have and to use the forums as a resource as you continue your recovery.  Our members are knowledgeable, compassionate, empathetic and eager to offer you whatever help they can.  They also have a well-honed sense of humor, which can be a valuable tool in dealing with ANs and the surgical recovery process.

Merry Christmas!       

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2009, 07:06:57 pm »
Eli, we should also mention that eye care is very important during facial paralysis of any length. Keep that cornea lubricated! There are many posts in the Eye Issues forum. My own favorite is using Refresh PM gel round the clock. It makes my vision blurry, but I've gotten used to it and hardly notice any more.

Best, and a very Merry Christmas to you,
Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 07:34:17 am »
Eli,
My facial weakness occurred the day after surgery, so my surgeons extended my post-op steroids.  I regained 90% at week 7 or so.  Your path should be similar.
Good luck.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 10:38:22 pm »
Eli.
Please read my blog.
Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

Eli

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 12:27:02 am »
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I suspect things will get back to normal soon enough.

As you all know, some days are harder than others...
Diagnosed - 09/29/09 with 1.9cm x 2.1cm x 1.7 cm right side AN - Like a huge Greek oliver in my head... Thus named Oliver...

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 01:32:55 pm »
I think you need a big ole cyber hug on those days!

I have had many from my great friends here (hope I haven't used them all up)!

Michelle  :-*
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Eli

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 06:29:26 am »
Thanks again all for the support! I'm noticing some twitching and tingling on my eye brow and lip about once a day. I assume this means something good is happening as the facial nerve gets settled.

@Sara - Thanks for the tip on the Refresh PM. I noticed my eye was incredibly dry when I woke up so I picked some Refresh up at the store. I've used it the last two nights before going to bed and now my surgery side eye is so much wetter feeling than my good side eye in the mornings. Maybe that endorsement can help someone else as well...

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 03:42:12 pm »
Eli~
It feels great when you use it on your good eye too.  Really it was made for people w/o AN's - just don't put it on it if you need to see something!  ONLY before lights out!   ;)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Eli

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 04:56:04 pm »
All,

So last week I noticed I was having some facial movement. It's been improving little by little. It's far from pre-op or even post-op levels but it's coming along.

I seem to be tracking along timewise like Loose Screws (Mike) did.

One thing I have noticed - when I try to smile, the cheek will lock in place and hurt like a muscle cramp - usually this happens at the most awkward times while I'm in public talking to a cashier, etc. Ah - if it's not one thing, it's another.

Celebrating my AN - the gift that keeps on giving...

Thanks!
Eli.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 10:10:07 pm »

Please read my blog.

Mike,

Saw the blog! On a bike and skateboard  yet. Yahooh- GREAT!!!

Mike you should be wearing a helmet.  ::) You now have stress points in the skull (titanium screws, mesh etc)...post op... Did I mention "You should be wearing a helmet..." ?

DHM  :-*

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!