Author Topic: Recovery from AN surgery  (Read 8009 times)

DarleneN

Recovery from AN surgery
« on: December 27, 2009, 10:49:32 pm »
Hi!

I have been heard from a number of AN post-surgery patients .  They have had vastly different degrees of difficulty after surgery.  Of course, I know every AN is different, and every AN patient is different, but the people I've heard from who had retrosig approach seemed to have a more difficult recovery period, than the people I've heard from who had translab approach.  Does anyone know if there really is a difference in recovery between these two approaches?

Thanks,
Darlene

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Recovery from AN surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 11:07:05 pm »
the people I've heard from who had retrosig approach seemed to have a more difficult recovery period, than the people I've heard from who had translab approach. 

Darlene -

I had retrosigmoid and I didn't have what I'd consider a more difficult recovery period than someone who had translab.

All patients recover at a different rate and surgical approach, in my opinion, doesn't have anything to do with it.  I think that age and health of the patient at the time of surgery probably have a bigger impact on recovery than the surgical approach used. 

I only had slight facial nerve damage for a day or two post op - it was cleared up with a single dose of steroids.  I didn't have a CSF leak, I didn't have issues with my eye closing (I needed no eye weight), I took no pain meds, I had no headaches - still don't.  I had major nausea and I also had double vision for a few days.  The only other issues I had post op are issues that most patients encounter like dry mouth, dry eye, metallic mouth, and balance issues (until my body adjusted).

I think there are many others on the Forum who had retrosigmoid and had experiences similar to mine.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 09:33:29 am »
I'm with Jan, I don't think there's necessarily a direct correlation to the type of surgical technique used and recovery period. I had retrosigmoid surgery and had a pretty quick and good recovery.  I know I will probably miss listing something important, but I believe the main factors affecting recovery are skill of the surgeons, location of AN, how involved (sticky) the AN is to nerves, general health of the patient, and not getting some type of infection while in the hospital. Having said all that, I will say that I'm not a doctor and don't know everything.

Patrick   
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

moe

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 11:38:31 am »
Darlene,
Yep it's difficult to say.
I had translab and had no dizziness/balance problems, because the nerve was totally squashed. Just headache which subsided after six weeks, and shortness of breath from losing so much blood (this is not normal). Oh yea, and a sacrificial facial nerve :(
 Maybe the reason that it is perceived that people from Trans lab approach do better is because the balance/hearing nerve are together, so many have already compensated with the balance, as in my case? ??? ??? Just a thought..
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 01:30:19 pm »
Darlene .....

Ditto to the previous replies ..... I had retrosigmoid with no headaches, no nausea, no facial weakness, no eye issues, no infection, and no CSF leak.  I had mild double vision for several days and major balance issues (due to having had previous brain surgery on the opposite side with apparent vestibular damage), but those two things would most likely have been present with any surgical approach.  My husband drove us home (a 6 hour drive) 11 days after surgery (after a short stay post-hospital with relatives) and I did fine.

I agree that much depends upon one's general health pre-surgery, the location and size of the tumor, and especially the skill of and technique used by the surgeon.

Best wishes.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 05:26:28 pm »
I had the retrosigmoid approach and I have headaches, fullness, tinnitus, a loss of hearing, mild balance issues, that I did not have before my surgery, but thank goodness no facial weakness, eye issues or any CSF leak so I cannot complain.

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 05:34:46 pm »
Darlene ~

I underwent retrosigmoid approach debulking surgery back in June, 2006, experienced almost no post-op problems and enjoyed a rapid recovery.  I'm not an isolated case for 'retro' AN patients but as you noted, each patient has a slightly different experience.  Still,  I have to pretty much echo Patrick's comments regarding the reasons for a patient's recovery time because he makes a cogent analysis of the factors involved. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

epc1970

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 05:48:47 pm »
Hi Darlene
I'm with Patrick and Jim on this one. It seems that everyone's expirence is as individual as the person is and surgical approch may not be the most significant factor. I had retrosigmoid and had only temporary-3 weeks-facial issues, very liitle balance trouble, retained the hearing I had left and no eye issues. My friend Marie had retro just today and is doing wonderfully! I hope your son is narrowing to a decision-he owes you a big "thank you"-you have been asking many good questions to aid his decision making!
Erin

cin605

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 11:26:32 am »
I had the retrosigmoid approach and I have headaches, fullness, tinnitus, a loss of hearing, mild balance issues, that I did not have before my surgery, but thank goodness no facial weakness, eye issues or any CSF leak so I cannot complain.

Regards,

Pat
DITTO!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

jacobson69

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 07:18:56 pm »
Hi Darlene,

I had retrosigmoid surgery almost back in 2008 and recovery time for my was about 1 month.  In the beginning I had slight facial weakness, hearing loss on my right ear (that was a choice).  I had none of the headaches, dizziness or eye problems, leaks.  Everybody's recovery is different.  It depends on the size and location of your AN, your physical condition before surgery, how skilled your surgeon is.  A good attitude never hurts  ;)

Hui

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 10:56:03 pm »
I might as well chime in from the Middle Fossa club (even though that wasn't part of the question :))... I didn't have a lot of issues post recovery...except for the wonky head still makes its presence known from time to time.  I had no CSF's, no facial weakness, but I did get blood in the spinal fluid so that made my legs hurt pretty bad for about a month.  Other than that, pretty much drama free! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 08:13:31 pm »
I don't believe the type of surgery plays a part in the recovery.

For what it's worth, I had retro and sailed through recovery (as much as you can anyway.....LOL).

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 10:18:45 am »
I actually thought the differences in those 2 surgeries could play a role and that is why when most doctors say there is pretty much no chance to preserve hearing they opt for the translab.      Although, I do know 100% and am a strong advocate for what has previously been mentioned is things associate to the tumor size, exactly where it is, if it is sticky (which they don't know for sure until they get in there), if there is anything else going on in there that the MRI can't pick up, but also each persons body heals, recovers and responds differently to every situation (even a basic cold).   

Have you gottten information from the ANA?   They have nice brochures they will send.   Plus you could maybe google the surgery types and side effects post op.

Best wishes to you!
Denise
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

Lizard

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 12:51:35 pm »
I have seen articles about the type of surgery vs the recovery time, and side affects etc...like this one which talks about headaches and gives some good statistics.  But don't rely to heavily on this as said above everyone reacts differently.  I have been prone to headaches my whole life so the biggest post op issues are my headaches. 

Do your research I'm sure you will decide what is best for you.
Liz

(Never attached a link, hope this works)

http://cep.sagepub.com/cgi/content/full/29/7/760
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt