Author Topic: Oh, oh...Can't wear a hat with a Baha implant?  (Read 7794 times)

ncutt

Oh, oh...Can't wear a hat with a Baha implant?
« on: January 03, 2010, 12:37:26 am »
What does a cowboy do?  My husband wears a baseball or cowboy hat probably 70% of the time, do you think he can adapt?  Crumb.....

lori67

Re: Oh, oh...Can't wear a hat with a Baha implant?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 09:45:03 am »
Where there's a will, there's a way! 

I am able to wear a baseball hat without any problem (never tried a cowboy hat though).  I have a feeling your husband will figure out a way to make it work.  Or maybe he can invent a new line of headwear specifically for BAHA users!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:07:50 pm »
I'm wondering myself if I can get the hat rule waived when I compete.

V

Paul F

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:18:59 pm »
I can't wear my cowboy hats while wearing the BAHA.  I guess if I cut a hole in the brim, I could make it work but i haven't tried that yet.  I also found that the activities I participate in while wearing a cowboy hat are also ones that would make it easy for me to loose the BAHA so, I just don't wear the BAHA then.  It's a bummer but,  at least ball caps work well.  If you find a solution, please let us know.  If my implant were placed lower, it might have worked better for me.  I did discus this with the doctor prior to surgery and I believe he placed it as low as practical.

Good luck,

Paul

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:31:23 pm »
I can't wear a bicycle helmet and a BAHA device @ the same time, so I have to make a choice - don't wear the device or don't wear the helmet.  And the choice pretty much depends on how badly I need to hear when I'm riding my bicycle - keeping in mine that I still have one ear that isn't SSD.  Of course where I'm riding - heavy traffic vs the streets in my neighborhood - also has some bearing on my decision.

In the case of a cowboy hat, the solution is a lot easier - cut a hole in the hat.

As Paul pointed out, if you are engaging in an activity where there is a possibility that your BAHA might get knocked off and damaged, you probably shouldn't be wearing it.

Would you really want to ruin a $4,000+ device?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ncutt

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 09:41:19 pm »
Well, if he can wear a baseball cap, that will definitely help!  Still waiting on the insurance and he isn't too keen about getting something drilled into his head.  But we will see.  He has practically no hearing in that ear and his good one used to be his bad one.  This is definitely a test on our marriage.  Whenever I feel I am getting a little short tempered, I put my finger in my good ear and try hearing out of MY bad one.  LOL!  You know, it takes alot of energy to talk loud and not shout.....

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 07:09:49 am »
The drilling in the skull isn't bad at all - sounds like a strange statement, I know  ::) - but trust me on this.

It's done on an outpatient basis and it's extremely similar to being in the dentist's office to have a cavity filled - except obviously the drilling is on the skull, not the teeth.

The doc will usually give the patient the choice of general anesthesia or local anesthesia.  I chose local and didn't feel a thing but a little pressure when my doc drilled. 

If your husband does go the BAHA route, he should ask for the Intenso processor as opposed to the BP100.  The Intenso is the stronger of the two devices; it's for those with less than "normal" hearing in their "good" ear.

Love the comment about the finger in your good ear  :D  Hang in there, marriage isn't easy; been there, done that; ended it after 22 years.  Hope it goes better for you  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

roxy123

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 03:08:39 pm »
I have got 2 horses,but i cant find a riding hat that fits.
I f i didnt wear my baha it could be dangerous as i would`nt be able to hear
traffic coming.
Has anyone got any surgestions.