Author Topic: Exercise and the eye and nose.  (Read 3931 times)

Pembo

Exercise and the eye and nose.
« on: January 14, 2010, 10:28:24 am »
I have continued facial paralysis and numbness. It's better but not perfect. When I work out and really start sweating, my eye waters and my nose runs...just on the AN side. I've had the eye watering think happen when it's really humid or in a very hot bath. I decided the other day that I would have hard time working out in a gym because of my watering eye and nose.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

lori67

Re: Exercise and the eye and nose.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 11:38:41 am »
I have the same problem.  I always make sure to wear shorts with pockets to the gym so I can bring lots of tissues.  People around me probably think I'm Typhoid Mary and are afraid I'll get everyone there sick, but anytime I start working - my nose runs like a faucet- just on the AN side.  My eye doesn't get too watery unless the a/c is turned on really high or there's a fan blowing my direction.

The amount of money we must invest in tissues, eye drops and things like that.....phew...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 11:50:38 am »
I have the nose running so much but am thinking it helps keep me from getting a cold as the germs can't stick inside my nose.    My husband is prone to them and I never get his.      Of course since I just said this,who knows!.     My left nostril is from the eating and I never even had any facial paralysis on that side.   My rt side runs when get warm with activity.
Our daughter in this area got a Wii for Xmas from her husbands side.     She bought the balance fit plus week so I got to see it.    i tried the fish game and did ok for just one try and my no balance nerves.   I never took the time to do the balance age as does take some time with the questions.                 It does look neat to own.
                                                 Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 05:27:28 pm »
Yep, I get the same thing - & for some reason especially when doing the laundry, taking clothes out of the drier !
I don't know how you guys can go to a gym !  The noise alone kills me.  I let my membership go & workout at home.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jill Marie

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 09:09:54 pm »
Me too!  When I really start to sweat then the left side of my nose really starts to drip.  My eye waters a bit which is nice since it never does otherwise, but I still can't see much better with it than when the ointment is in it because it waters so much and I don't blink like I should.  I never go anywhere without kleenex, there's a box in every room of my house, in our vehicles, 2 or more in every pocket of my coats.  However, I rather deal with that then sit around like a bump on a log.  I love to garden but if I do it when it's warm the nose really gets going but I love gardening to much to quit.  I do work out at the gym and it's not a big problem, but everyone is different.  If I was smart I would have bought stock in kleenex years ago!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 08:21:35 am »
I have that too...I know this is super gross, but I just get TWO towels at the gym and use one strictly for my nose.  They sanitize those things where they are practically stiff so I don't feel too bad...I also wipe down the machine or anything the towels touches with the sanitary wipes that they provide.  It just seems silly to waste all those Kleenex (& trees) when I can do this...of course, it really doesn't matter right now since I never seem make it to the gym right now anyway!  ;)  Also bad when working outside - worst when bending over like pulling weeds....

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 10:36:29 am »
So glad this is not just me!  I was thrilled when my eye watered the first time on the treadmill it almost made me cry I was so happy!  Glad to know there really is moisture in there!  I knew that I had to wipe my nose all the time now while working out, but never realized it could all be related until just now!  Amazing  ;)
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

pb

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 12:29:37 pm »
I am truly amazed at how these tumors and the aftermath of them, just "keeps on giving!" Don't know which of you said that first but it seems to be so true. I too have that happening but never put it together. A little slow here obviously!! pb

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 01:12:01 pm »
My nose runs when I eat...I'm talking buckets...I know, not while you're eating...but gosh, its something.  My eye does all kinds of weirdness, runs, dries up, leaks green goo...you name it. It is much better, no longer requires a patch and I have no pain. Its also sown half shut to protect the cornea...thats working too.

I'm in treatment with Dr. Gaye Cronin at the Atlanta Ear Clinic for the Facial Paralysis.  She gave me a small, powerful, vibrator I use to massage around my mouth above my left eye and also my cheek and chin.  Its seems to be working...I was experiencing electrical kind of shock like feelings on the left side of my face in the weeks before I started treatment and those feelings are even stronger since.  I'm excited about that.

While exercise not help everyone, I'm an advocate...It certainly can't hurt...do it!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 02:42:36 pm »
Yep, I have the occasional tear, too, when I exercise and my nose runs like crazy.  The tears only come when I've had my heart rate elevated for 10-15 minutes, and I usually only get one or two.

Interesting (and you all might know this all ready) factoid - my doc says that the the eye still has the ability to tear, but it is the nerves that are not sending the right signal.  Darn pesky nerves.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Jill Marie

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 01:03:21 am »
Debbi,  I always thought/hoped that my eye could still tear, now that I know it can I will have to get the "nerve" to ask them if they would be so kind as to let my eye tear again like it use to.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 04:00:24 pm »
`
Boy, have I got the leaky nose problem too!  Hate it!  It's common for older people to get the leaky nose when eating, for some reason, so it's a double edged sword.

Bummer!

Excuse me, could you hand me a tissue?

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode