Author Topic: Successful Surgery - officially a postie!  (Read 6164 times)

nashvillewife

Successful Surgery - officially a postie!
« on: January 15, 2010, 04:13:45 pm »
Thanks so much to everyone here for the advice and good wishes prior to my husband's surgery on Tuesday.  He had his translab (2-2.5 cm AN) at Vanderbilt with Drs. Haynes and Thompson and I wanted to be sure to provide an update.  The surgery was a success with all of the tumor removed and no facial nerve damage!!   Hooray!  As I expected from this forum, the first night and day were not at all  fun - mostly due to major headache issues and dizziness.  But he was up and walking by himself on Wednesday...no looking down or moving quickly, but I think he's doing fantastic considering!  I came home today to rest up and take our daughter back to visit tonight - then got the call that he's on the way home with my inlaws!  I think that's good news - hope I'm ready for my home-nursing as I don't think he's going to be a great patient  :P  But no doubt he'll rest much better in his own bed without all the interruptions.  Let the recovery begin!

Kaybo

Re: Successful Surgery - officially a postie!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:25:56 pm »
Glad everything went well...

K   :D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:04:06 pm »
Nashville ~

Thanks for the update - and congratulations on your husband's successful AN surgery!  I'm very pleased to learn that he is doing so well and being discharged.  The first few weeks of recovery may be a bit 'bumpy', but not necessarily so and in time, he'll likely be back to his old self.  Meanwhile, your help and support are admirable and should certainly aid his recuperation. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 05:06:38 pm »
Excellent news, Nash  ;D

Give your husband our best wishes for a speedy, uneventful recovery - and please don't hesitate to return to the Forum with questions, details of his recovery, etc.  We're all here to help and learn from each other.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

epc1970

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 05:34:49 pm »
Yay! Another successful surgery. The first job of a caregiver is to take good care of yourself! We are here if you have any questions along the way.
Erin

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 10:27:51 pm »
Congrats!! Glad to hear that everything went well!  If you have any concerns about how he's doing or just need to vent (cuz he'll probably get grumpy at some point like I did...a few times...hehe) Please post here and we can try to help.  Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Lilan

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 08:03:10 am »
Congrats, Nash! Great news.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 07:46:56 pm »
I think that's good news - hope I'm ready for my home-nursing as I don't think he's going to be a great patient  :P  But no doubt he'll rest much better in his own bed without all the interruptions.  Let the recovery begin!
Great to learn things went well.  You might be surprised, my wife swears I was nicer AFTER surgery than I have been for a long time  ;D  Maybe I was just afraid she would take advantage... I'm thinking of Kathy Bates in Misery kind of advantage...  ;)

As of others have mentioned, feel free to ask any questions or vent if/when you feel the need!

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

nashvillewife

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 02:18:00 pm »
Thanks to everyone!  It's so great to be able to escape to this site on occasion.  All is well, hubby is holding his own.  Definitely think he's feeling the "wonky" head I read about here so much, and he notices every little noise within a three mile radius of the house!!  Otherwise, trying to get him to rest instead of pacing the floors is the harded part of my job.  If only my inlaws were on their way home  ;)  Not only will I have a recovering AN patient on my hands when they leave, but a very spoiled 9-yo to retrain :-\ 

I do have one question that we haven't ever thought about - at what point will he be able to fly again?  We did think to ask about scuba-diving and realize that will no longer be an option, but am hoping flying this spring might not be an issue?

Thanks again.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 02:25:45 pm »
Seems that lots of people fly even as early as a week out from surgery, so I'm thinking that's not going to be a problem.

I have to ask though-why no SCUBA diving?  I plan on going in the next few weeks, and I'm about 7 months out of surgery.  I can't for the life of me figure out why he wouldn't be able to do this now?  (I do admit to having the attitude of thinking absolutely ANYthing I did prior to surgery I can do now.....).  Can you clarify?

So glad things went well and he's recovering at home.  Congrats!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 02:42:29 pm »
but am hoping flying this spring might not be an issue?

certainly shouldn't be a problem; patients routinely fly 10 days after surgery, and some do it sooner. I flew 10 days after mine and had zero issues with pressure, etc.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

nashvillewife

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 02:51:30 pm »
Glad to know flying anytime now really shouldn't be an issue - although I'm not sure he's really up for a big trip just yet   :)  Adrienne, as to the scuba question - we were told that the pressue is just too intense at deep depths (snorkeling 20-30 ft or so is OK).  Although the skull heals nicely, it's not really bone but super tough cartilage/scar tissue that fills in. 

lori67

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 02:57:43 pm »
Glad to hear your husband had a good outcome!  I knew he would.  Must be such a relief for you now that he's through it.

I flew a few months after my surgery and didn't have any problems.  The only thing that is bothersome to me is that between being deaf in one ear and the usual airplane noise, I can't really hear anything at all in flight.  This works to my advantage when there are crying children on board - especially if they are my own.   :D

Try to maintain your sanity while your husband heals.  I remember telling mine that I was glad I was the one who needed surgery and not him - he would have driven me nuts!

Congrats from another Vanderbilt Otology "graduate"!

Lori
P.S.  Have you gotten to see Dr. O'Malley yet?  Cutie!!!   ;)
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 06:11:25 pm »
Adrienne~
I was also told that I would never be able to SCUBA or SKY dive - the scuba didn't bother me but I was REALLY wanting to sky dive...but it sure made my mom happy!!  :o  I was told it was b/c of the intense pressure changes - I didn't really think much about it.  I actually always thought that it had something to do with the lack of the eardrum and how they "plugged" that eustation tube - you know how your ears get plugged and you need to pop them when you change elevations?  I would DEFINATELY talk to the Dr. about this - what kind of surgery did you have??

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 09:15:40 pm »
Nash,
Great news on hubbie's successful surgery! Yes, he definitely needs to rest A LOT-maybe when the in laws are gone. ;) But walking really is the best thing.
Let us know how things go. :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty