Author Topic: New GK member  (Read 2890 times)

Shelley G

New GK member
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:33:17 pm »
I had GN in April 2009- my tumor was 2.9cm- it was a long day- the worst part was having the shield screwed on- At the time of my surgery, I was still having major balance issues- was using a wheelchair for the most part- I didn't have any major side effects- after a few months I had an increase in symptoms for a few weeks, but they have subsided- had an MRI after 6 months- no change in size- will have another done in April 2010. I have regained feeling on right side of my face, but not my tongue-
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 03:27:25 pm by Jim Scott »
2.9cm
Gamma Ray Knife Surgery April 2009
25% hearing in right ear- conventional hearing aid Jan/10
balance issues- but getting better

rupert

Re: New GK member
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:43:46 pm »

Congratulations  Shelley G,   on the non growth of your tumor.   If you don't mind me asking?  Did you have no feeling on your right side and tongue before the procedure or did this happen after?    Bryan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 02:26:09 pm »
Shelley ~

Please accept my welcome to the ANA website and specifically, the discussion forums.  Thanks for posting. 

From your message, you appear to be recovering nicely from your GK procedure.  Radiation treatment is intended to halt the growth of the tumor, as it apparently has in your case.  Shrinkage is a slow process and may never occur to any significant degree.  As long as the AN remains 'dead', the procedure was a success.  I trust that you'll regain feeling in your tongue, soon. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 04:05:09 pm »
Congrats fellow Zapper!!  Hope you continue to see improvements...  Great news on your MRI!
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Shelley G

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 10:58:09 pm »
Hi Rupert- I had right side facial numbness and lost all taste except for one spot on on the left side of my tongue- it started gradually- my doctor diagnosed it as tic delarue-  I had been doctoring for about 2 years.I didn't realize that I was loosing the hearing in my right ear until after diagnosis. I am now trialing a conventional hearing aid- and am amazed at what I was missing!! It's not perfect, but better than missing most of the conversation.
2.9cm
Gamma Ray Knife Surgery April 2009
25% hearing in right ear- conventional hearing aid Jan/10
balance issues- but getting better

Vivian B.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:43:02 pm »
Congratulations on your treatment and good MRI results. Wishing you good results on your next MRI. Sorry to hear about the numbness. I also have some numbnes now around my face and the ear area. I hope it doesn't get worse after treatment.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.