Author Topic: Recovery Update  (Read 2238 times)

nashvillewife

Recovery Update
« on: February 09, 2010, 10:37:45 am »
Just wanted to let the great folks who have been so supportive on this site know how things are going.  My husband is 4 weeks translab post-op as of today and is doing what I think is incredibly well!  He's walking 2.5 miles daily and his balance is fairly well back to normal.  No facial issues at all, boo-boos healing nicely, and he's given up his afternoon nap!  ::)  He had a slight headache last week after finishing the steroids, but only need Advil and hasn't taken any since Friday.  His hearing was already so far gone that the SSD isn't really all that bothersome.  I think similarly the AN had affected the balance nerve enough that balance was not the issue I had feared (he's 6'3 and 230 lbs - me and my 5'5 wasn't going to be able to stop him from falling!)  He's a little bummed that the tinnitus isn't gone, but luckily it's not life-altering in any way.  The worst part by far is that noise is still VERY LOUD and my 9-year-old is desperately pleading for playdates at our house again :D

Thank you to everyone who uses this forum to discuss so many issues associated with AN. I can't tell you how helpful this site has been through all of this very scary process - figuring out what an AN was all about, deciding on a treatment option, preparing to deal with surgery and all of the possible effects of surgery, what's normal in recovery, and what's OK to feel as a caregiver.  THANK YOU!!!!

P.S.  The in-laws left almost two weeks ago and I survived!!  My folks are heading down this week and I am so ready for my own little moral support group  :)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Re: Recovery Update
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:37:08 am »
Great to read such an upbeat report. I am glad for your husband (and you) and in most part my recovery was similar. Still, don't let him do too much too soon and, what I found out was there are aspects of SSD that you learn are very annoying over time.  But at the same time you learn to deal with them.

Cheers,

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:15:08 pm »
Hi!
It's nice to hear your husband is being such a model patient and that your life is getting back to normal somewhat.  Just remind him sometimes that he just had major brain surgery and that he does have to take a break sometimes :)    You're a great caregiver!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 03:56:45 pm »
Nashvillewife ~

Thanks for the update on your husband!  He seems to be having a splendid recovery.  In fact, in many ways it resembles mine.  I'm pleased to learn that the ANA forums were of such help to you both.  May your husband's good recovery continue and may life quickly revert to normal for you both, soon.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 04:54:36 pm »
Great update!  Thanks for sharing it with us!  As far as loud noises, others have used an ear plug to dampen the ambient noise because noises were too loud at one time or another with reported good results.  Someone (forgive me, I'm bad with names) even was having problems with the noise in the grocery store and started wearing an iPod and playing music while there and it helped out tremendously...   I remember being sensitive to "regular" sounds and I can tell you that it does get better with time and I'm confident it will for your husband as well.

Keep the positive updates coming!  We love them!

Thanks,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 08:54:32 pm »
Nash -

very positive update - sounds like your husband is doing very well  ;D

Thanks for checking in and give the "patient" our best.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 12:34:20 pm »
Great to hear how well he's doing!  I knew he would!  He must have had a great caretaker!   ;)

Glad you survived the in-laws... I know for me, the hardest part of my recovery was when my mother-in-law came to "help" for a week.   :D  The brain surgery was a walk in the park compared to that!  Just kidding....sortof.   :-X

Enjoy the visit with your family and I hope the recovery process keeps getting better and better!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.