Author Topic: allergies and dizziness  (Read 4359 times)

jenifyer

allergies and dizziness
« on: April 19, 2006, 01:31:32 pm »
Hi,

I was wondering if allergies or sinus problems  affect your balance or make you feel dizzy?  When i have an allergy attack or sinusitis i definitely feel dizzy, especially if my ears clog up! just wondering if anyone else felt this  way.....

jennifer

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: allergies and dizziness
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 01:34:57 pm »
Oh, jennifer... you read my mind!!!! Total nightmare here this past week. I had my CK treatment 2 weeks ago and living on Benedryl/antihistimines all this past week to help with ear "fullness" and allergies. The US/Northeast is in full bloom now and it's killing me, my balance, dizziness, etc.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 01:42:58 pm »
I have a confirmed case of sinusitis right now and it seems like my head is "wonky" as Capt Deb likes to call it.  I've had a set back with the balance issues so wondering if that is the connection?

jenifyer

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 02:26:16 pm »
I am glad i am not the  only one out there who feels this way!!  I live in Florida and  it seems that right  now is a really tough time for me.  i have had sinus  pressure and ear clogginess and  a constant post-nasal dripping and to top it all off my head is ....wonky!  i love that term for it!   Is  there anything out there besides benadryl or chlortrimaton that helps? 

thanks!
jennifer

vcschaub

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 02:56:45 pm »
I have been prescribed Flonase nasal spray and it really helps with sinus pressure and nasal drip. I use it every morning. When my symptoms worsen, I use it twice a day. It is ok for long term use.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 03:16:28 pm »
I've used flonase before surgery...haven't really had anything since my surgery..I'm just starting to get bad again and saw the ent yesterday.

luv2teachsped

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 04:04:28 pm »
Jennifer-yes yes yes!!!  I have chronic sinus problems( worse since my surgery) and I decided people might as well get used to my goofy walk, I have!!  I have tried everything!!  A friend gave me some samples of Zyrtec-D to try today, so I will try for a few days, if it helps I'll ask my Dr.  I use a sinus wash, as well as a sinus rinse, Nasacort, saline you name it...I recently got over a severe sinus infection, so at least I'm walking a little straighter.  Allergies and sinuses are not a good combo with AN! ;Dluv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

matti

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 07:18:08 pm »
Most definetly! I have more balance and dizziness during allergy season. The past few weeks have been difficult and I have had to really limit my driving  :( because I feel so dizzy and lightheaded.
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 08:07:17 pm »
I was thinking of trying the sinus wash thingy you use with your water pik..luvs is that what you're doing and does it help?

luv2teachsped

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 08:19:53 pm »
Batty:  Water Pic? OW...Are you sure you want to do that???  I use NeilMed Sinus Rinse.  It comes with a special bottle and packets of solution you mix with water. I use distilled.  It rinses the sinuses.It feels really wierd, like when water goes up your nose when your swimming. It rinses the solution from one side of the sinus to the other.  Whatever you do ...don't forget to put the solution in.  They have a great big warning on the package!!!Guess who forgot???  Ugh.... my nose burned until I was crying tears out of my eye!Wish it would have been the AN side, would've almost been worth the pain!   :oluvs
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 10:16:21 pm »
Yeah my brother and my step dad use this adapter on their water pik with saline solution. My brother uses breath right and my step dad just uses salt in water and rinse their noses every morning and says it helps.  I dont' like anything up my nose or water in my ears!  But I also dont' like this stuffy nose feeling and the wonky head feeling that goes with it!  I'm assuming hte neilmed is aval over the counter?  I'm planning on checking out a place tomorrow for sinus stuff.

Static

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 06:38:52 am »
Batty,
I had to use the water pik thingy after I had surgery, years ago, for a deviated septum.  It does flush things out, but you do become congested again.  Flonase is what works best for me, but if an infection sets in, well, you're screwed.  The worse thing I have found after this surgery is when I am driving into the mountains (I live in PA) and the ears want to pop.  I have never felt anything so annoying in my life.  I find it hard to continue to drive when this occurs and just can't wait for it to stop. It is a feeling of fullness and dizziness like my head is going to explode!  Does this happen to anyone else?
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

jenifyer

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 06:43:19 am »
I am going  to try Astelin.   it's a nasal antihistimine for seasonal allergies and other allergens like dust etc.  It is unlike flonase because it works instantly and is not a steroid, but it isn't afrin either.   Hopefully this will  give me some relief.  I guess the real thing to do is wait until allergy season is over!!

jennfer

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 11:27:56 am »
I was at the ENT for my AN symptoms and also allergies I guess. He put me on the Sinus Wash and I concure, DON'T FORGET THE SOLUTION! - OUCH.  I was thinking of going back to that myself.  I am not sure what my allergies are - maybe dust or mold. Anyway, the sinus wash, although it looks icky, is quite nice, I thought. Clean, inside and out!  I started using my own recipe with the salt and baking soda, but I didn't always mix it exactly right and my nose became irritated. Probably too much salt. I was trying to save some money. If I did it again, I'd just get the premixed stuff - that didn't bother me.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode