Author Topic: new medication protocol for headaches  (Read 4584 times)

ombrerose4

new medication protocol for headaches
« on: April 23, 2010, 09:15:35 pm »
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on the forum for a couple of weeks. I have been going through a change of meds for my headaches/trigeminal pain. I saw a neuro-opthamologist a few weeks back because my left AN side eye appeared to be bulging. My MRI of the orbits was normal, my vision exam was mostly normal- the sensitivity to light is thought to be from the dryness of my eye. My left eye is slightly bulging but still within normal limits, my left pupil is more triangular than my right round pupil- but none of this was thought to be a problem, which is all good. The examination did show that I have decreased facial sensation on my AN side, which I hadn't realized till the doc was touching my face with a bunch of different objects. This, along with my headaches symptoms definitely points to trigeminal nerve function changes due to AN surgery.
The doctor put me on Tegretol, in addition to the trazadone, zoloft, clonazepam and other various meds I am on for glaucoma, high chlesterol and GERD. After a week on Tegretol, I started feeling like a walking pill case, especially since the headaches were and still are coming 2-3 times a day. So I finally called my wonderful neuro-otologist, Dr. Choe, and told him how I was feeling. I asked him if he would take over the treatment of my headaches because I trust him and I feel like I have too many cooks stirring the pot. So he has put me on a new medication, but first I had to slowly decrease all of my old meds. Finally stopped all meds except clonazepam and after three days of nothing else I started Efexor. I knew Efexor was an antidepressant, but did not not that it is also being used as a chronic pain medication. I did some research and saw that it seems to have a good effect on facial pain/headaches/trigeminal nerve pain. I will be slowly raising my dose over the next 2-3 weeks to achieve so-called therapeutic levels. Hopefully I will experience relief, who knows..   The weird thing is that after stopping the other meds my headaches changed in charachter- the stabbing pain on my right side of my head is rarely felt (maybe 4-5 times since), compared to 4-5 times a day. Also my headaches have become mainly left (AN) sided- around my left eye, face and cheek and jaw, as opposed to the all over the head 'headache'. I have no clue what any of this means, but I don't think any of the doctors know either. So I have been feeling pretty yucky these last few weks between going off meds, going on meds and plenty of headaches in between. Dr. Choe has also asked me to stop all OTC pain meds and all RX pain meds except for Excedrin. So this is where I am at these days, trying to get through the pain and get through nursing school.  Oh, one more thing- I had some cranial sacral therapy last week at my PT session and was headache free for a whole 7 hours. My therapist is going to keep doing this, but unfortunately I don't have too many PT visits left due to insurance limitations. Well, I think I've caught everyone up with my ongoing fight against headaches. Wish me luck on this new treatment, I am skeptical and not sure relief will be found. Thanks for listening! :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: new medication protocol for headaches
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 11:27:14 am »
Good luck, Lauren.

Captain Deb seems to be one of our biggest headache experts.  You might want to search on her posts - or PM her - for her advice.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ombrerose4

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:07:50 am »
Thanks for the heads up. The therapist who did the cranial sacral therapy works with my vestibular therapist and she was very gentle. I appreciate your caution, you do need to be careful with this stuff :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Lizard

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:49:18 pm »
As a fellow "headacher" you will have to let me know how the Efexor is working.  It is always a little frightening trying new meds, but it also give you hope that this one will finally offer some relief.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

ombrerose4

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 07:07:16 pm »
Thanks, Liz! I start uping my dose tonight, will keep you informed. I just keep telling myself "I believe in miracles"! ;D
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Mei Mei

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:36:11 pm »
Be careful with Effexor.   It's nickname is SideEffexor.   I was on it for a few weeks about five years ago and couldn't stand the Side Effects.  Am now on Cymbalta.

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

ombrerose4

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 03:11:33 pm »
What kind of side effects did you have? So far the only thing I have experienced is an increase in sweating, which seems to be getting better now. And today is the first day I can remember that I did not have any morning headaches. My first headaches today was about 2PM, which for me is GREAT! So far, so good!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Lizard

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 05:26:00 pm »
Medications seem to affect everyone differently, and for no morning headaches I'd take a little extra sweating any day.  I'm sure it will take a couple more weeks to get totally accustomed to it, but it seems to be doing a pretty good job already.

Great news!
Liz
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Cheryl R

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 06:09:24 pm »
Effexor was about the only one so far that didn't give any side effects until went off it. Took a month to get off it.        I went off as thought was causing my weird dreams but still have them since went off.    Lexapro and Celexa gave me GI problems.       Such fun trying to find the right one.                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

wendysig

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 07:12:18 pm »
Lauren,

I just saw this post and am sorry to hear that you are still having problems with headaches.  It sounds like you are getting a handle on them though and I hope the Effexor is your magic bullet to put them to an end once and for all.  Your latest post sounds encouraging.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Mei Mei

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 08:03:56 am »
Sorry, I didn't see your question about Effexor until this morning.    I was on it for about two months about five years ago.   I was having bad dreams and trembling and nightmares, so I went off of it.

Now I am taking Cymbalta for Myofacial Pain and did well for the pain after one day.   It's great!

Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Lizard

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 03:39:33 pm »
Cymbalta, interesting!  I'm so happy its working for you  :)

-Franklin D. Roosevelt