Author Topic: New surgery date...  (Read 2933 times)

ksiwek

New surgery date...
« on: April 28, 2010, 04:53:38 pm »
So I now have my new surgery date:  June 10th (which was my c-section date ironically).  On Friday, we will be meeting with my ob to discuss the baby delivery date and options.

So, having the baby in LA may be something we decide to do.  I just don't want to take a preemie on an airplane, if a doc would even allow it.  And what if he was in the hospital for a few weeks???  I could not fly out to LA while he is in the hospital in Milwaukee.  I also think it would be an impossible situation for my husband.  Reason I am bringing this up is to see if any of you in the LA area could recommend a hospital (and ob/and pediatrician) not too far from HEI?   It needs to be a hospital with a good NICU.  I have heard Huntington Memorial and Cedars.  Any insight would be great!

Thanks!
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
Re: New surgery date...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:45:34 am »
Hey Kris,

I'm assuming you have found an OB by now, but if you're still looking, I can strongly recommend Dr Christine Collins at Cedars.  She is wonderful and the NICU at Cedars is top notch.  Dr Collins was my OB until I moved to Pasadena.  I delivered my boy at Huntington with another incredible doctor Dr Laura Sirott.  Huntington also has an incredible NICU.  So, it really depends where you'll be staying.  On the West Side of LA or further East closer to Pasadena.  We think Dr Sirott is a rock star!  You've probably found someone by now as you're going to be here so soon, but I wanted to share two of my favorite docs with you just in case you're still looking.

Best wishes for a perfect delivery!

Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.

Wik1350

• How cute is he?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 02:48:35 pm »
The plan changes by the day.....Our OB is very confident in the baby's size and health so he says we're ready to deliver anytime.  Kris and I feel pretty good about 35 weeks, which puts us right around May 20th and gives us a little bit of time to get mobilized out there. Everyone agrees that two weeks should be sufficient for a recovery from C-Section, so Friedman bumped us up to June 4th to get this done! I think we're both relieved to get the show on the road sooner and getting back on the road to recovery, we're just praying for a healthy baby boy. 

Mike Siwek 
Wife (ksiwek) - 3.5cm left side AN

ksiwek

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 04:27:32 pm »
Amy,

Thank you for the referrals!  It really is the best way to find and feel comfortable with the decisoin on a doctor.  Since things moved quickly, I relied on the referral of a friend and coworker for an ob at Cedars (Dr Karyn Morse).  I didn't care if I was at Cedars or Huntington since they both had good NICU's.  Cedars works out a little better in the end as Dr Friedman and Schwartz both have priviliges there and can check on me, round on me, etc. I appreciate the help though!  We should meet at some point as I will be living in LA for a month at least!

Best,
Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

newmommyLA

• My Caring Bridge Journal
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 05:35:02 pm »
Yes, let's definitely meet up while you're in town.  Like I said, I'm gone from May16-26, but then I'm available.  I could visit you before your AN surgery if you're interested.  I figured you might end up at Cedars b/c I know Friedman works there as well.  I'll be thinking about you and praying for a healthy boy and momma.

Feel free to PM me if you want my phone number.

Take care of yourself and try to focus on all the good stuff that is right around the corner.  You get to meet your boy real soon and it will be magical!

Best,
Amy
6mmx8mm AN rt side.  Mid-fossa surgery HEI House/Schwartz 10/28/09.  Temp facial paralysis (8 weeks), SSD, severe tinnitus & hyperacusis, tumor all gone.  12/23/09 cochlear nerve section (trying to reduce tinnitus) no major improvement on tinnitus. Trying biofeedback/neurofeedback for tinnitus.