Author Topic: It is official!  (Read 7139 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
It is official!
« on: May 28, 2010, 06:00:06 pm »
As of today, I am officially a retired teacher.  Twenty years at this school, thirty altogether in the business.  Whew! It hasn't hit me yet and probably won't until school supplies go on sale in August and I don't aim my car at Office Depot :D :D Today was the last day of school.  Woo hoo!  One of my precious families, by way of thank you for my teaching all three of their kids, offered me their vacation home in Florida for a stay.  You know, I think the hubby and I are going to take them up on it!
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

sgerrard

Re: It is official!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 07:59:09 pm »
Congratulations, Ms. Maggie!

I know you will miss it, Priscilla (but maybe not too much). The Florida vacation sounds like a great way to start retirement, and I'm sure you will find something to keep you busy. Enjoy!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 08:55:08 pm »
Congrats on your retirement!

(BTW Nice knit red hat in your photo- very snazzy  :)

Enjoy this time...

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 01:10:58 am »
Congrats!  Take them up on the home in Florida, you've earned it!

Be well my friend.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 05:23:47 am »
Congratulations and best wishes for a very happy and wonderful retirement!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 07:11:06 am »
I would take them up on the loan of the Florida home and take a break ...

[size=16pt]Happy Retirement [/size]
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 08:18:31 am »
Many thanks, my friends.  I was up at 6:45 this A.M. :o and my husband wanted to know why, on this first morning of the rest of my life, I wasn't sleeping until 9.  Old habits die hard! I googled the Florida place last night.  It's in Jupiter Island.  The dad said it was very private and it was their little slice of heaven, so now all we have to do is pick a date.  I think it will be a good way to learn to slow down and get off the clock that has been ticking for most of my adult life. Hubby isn't retiring yet, so I will be taking some solo trips to visit old friends from college once fall arrives and he is back teaching again. It does feel good to see all that time stretched out in front of me!
Priscilla
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 10:07:16 am »
Congrats, Priscilla!

Let us know when you are going to Florida, maybe we'll all come crash the house for a wild party.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 01:23:31 pm »
Priscilla ~

I want to offer you my congratulations and best wishes for a great retirement. 

I find that I'm just about as busy as before I retired but doing things that I want to do...on my own schedule.  It's very rewarding.  We don't travel all that much but I've been able to spend more time with my wife and help her do some much-needed major re-decorating in our home.  I've taken a leadership role in my church (as a deacon in charge of 'benevolence') as well as function as a moderator on the ANA website's discussion forums, something I most likely wouldn't have had the time for, pre-retirement.  I'm pretty sure you'll find your own way to make your retirement productive and rewarding for you.  Taking that Florida vacation home offer will be a great start.  Enjoy.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 04:47:39 pm »
Ms Maggie's new retirement job is...getting KAYBO, Dave & the Three Curly Girlies settled!!!!    ;) ;) ;)

Priscilla~
Did you get my text?

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 06:30:39 pm »
Kaybo, my phone is lost somewhere in my house.  I had it last night, but don't know where it is now!  HOWEVER...I am at your disposal, whatever it is you need, my sweet!
P

tenai98

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 09:03:17 am »
congrats congrats...take the vacation.  I love it in Florida...sand, sun and surf
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 09:17:29 am »
Too bad you aren't here - NOW I am in frantic mode - just throwing stuff in boxes...I'll have to go thru it later!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 01:36:39 pm »
Congrats to you!  30 years as a teacher says something very wonderful about you and what you are made of.  My husband is a teacher, too, and this year, two of his closest colleagues retired - he is really gonna miss them...as I'm sure your colleagues are gonna miss you. 

Enjoy this next chapter with gusto!!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 04:29:55 pm »
Thanks, Kathy!  How are you doing, BTW?  I keep you in my prayers.  I am excited about having options about what to do with my time. I quit before I was burned out on purpose, because I have been around teachers who were just hanging around because of the pension.  They were bitter and not fun to be around.  I am now ready for whatever the good Lord sends my way!  I am looking for adventures that don't involve drs. and hospitals, specifically. :D  Been there and done that!

Priscilla