Author Topic: Gadolinium  (Read 11483 times)

inmaine724

Gadolinium
« on: June 25, 2010, 02:59:28 pm »
I forgot to ask.  I have had this stuff before, obviously, but is there anything to worry about with it?  I can't remember if there are side effects, or dangers...??  Ugghh.  Now I'm getting nervous!

...Danielle
Happiness grows in direct proportion to your acceptance, and in inverse proportion to your expectations.--Michael J Fox

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Gadolinium
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 03:03:46 pm »
Don't be nervous.  Gadolinium contrast is standard operating procedure when having an MRI to diagnose (or rule out) an acoustic neuroma.

You'll probably have to have a blood test prior to the MRI - to test your Bun and Creatinin (I think that's how you spell it) levels.  This is something fairly new (only a few years now) that is being required of patients who are having gadolinium.  

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 07:04:20 am »
Hi Danielle,

You'll probably only need to have the blood test if you have a history of liver or kidney problems.  I don't have to have it done.  I've never had any problems from it - just a little "ouch" when they stick the needle in.  They will probably tell you to drink a little extra water afterwards to help flush it out of your system.

Certainly nothing to be worried about!  Take a deep breath and let out a sigh of relief!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 09:13:40 am »
Danielle:

I get the blood test a few days before all my MRIs.

There was a story a few years ago about a local woman who's suffered side effects, something to do with a skin condition, after getting an MRI with gadolinium. It turns out her kidneys or liver were not healthy & couldn't metabolise gadolinium. If your kidneys & liver are healthy, your body gets rid of gadolinium pretty quick & you have nothing to worry about.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 09:56:30 am »
I don't have a history of kidney or liver problems, yet the hospital where I have my MRIs has made the blood tests standard procedure for the past few years.

I think numerous hospitals/medical facilities have gone this route.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 11:15:31 am »
You can't breastfeed for 24  hours after getting gadolineum, but I doubt that's a problem for most people.  ROFL

Vonda

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 02:22:06 pm »
You can't breastfeed for 24  hours after getting gadolineum, but I doubt that's a problem for most people.  ROFL

Vonda

As a mom who was nursing through many MRIs, I have to disagree with this statement based on the research I've done.  But as I don't think it applies in the case of the original poster, I'll leave those arguments for another time.   ;D

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

lholl36233

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 02:58:51 pm »
I just booked my 1 year follow up MRI in December.  They asked me if I had a list of problems which I didn't.  Then I was told if I answered yes to any of those problems, I would have needed a blood test before the MRI.

Interesting..
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

inmaine724

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 03:07:50 pm »
Right, because they have to check your kidney function.  The absolute worst case scenario (that prob never happens) is that you can go into kidney failure once the gad gets in your system.  Your kidneys can't process it.  That's why the bloodwork is sometimes ordered, just to be sure.
Happiness grows in direct proportion to your acceptance, and in inverse proportion to your expectations.--Michael J Fox

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 03:28:10 pm »
Danielle ~

I think every hospital has slightly different rules.  Mine used age as the deciding factor for requiring a pre-MRI blood test to check my liver function.  Since my original AN diagnosis four years ago, I'd had many MRI scans, always with the Gadolinium contrast but I'd never had a blood test - until I reached age 65.  Then, I was informed that I had to be tested (via a blood sample) for liver function before I could undergo the MRI with contrast (Gadolinium).  A nuisance and extra expense (co-pay) but unavoidable, so I do it.  Fortunately, my liver functions just fine and I'm not allergic to the Gadolinium.  FYI: I had no side effects connected with the Gadolinium other than a slight flush, which passes quickly.  I trust that you'll be fine with it, too.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 10:38:21 am »
I've heard that you should not have an excessive number of MRI's with the contrast as it can compromise your liver and kidney function (or one or the other can't really remember).  I don't think anyone should worry too much if the MRI's are spread out....a couple months is probably fine.  I asked, because over the course of 3 or 4 months I'd had 6 or so MRI's...never had to have any blood work done either.

Just my thoughts on the subject...
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

lholl36233

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 06:35:51 pm »
Last August, I had 2 MRIs with contrast because they screwed up the first one and didn't get any pictures.  Hope this doesn't cause trouble for me down the line?   ::)
Proton Radiation for my hemangioma at MGH December 2009.  Hearing has improved.  Doing great!

Vivian B.

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 02:04:42 pm »
Hi Jan,

I understand that Gladolium is not dangerous but can have an effect on your kidneys. Some hospitals request testing of the kidneys prior to doing the MRI. If you are concerned, you can ask for a blood test.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 01:58:17 pm »

Vonda

As a mom who was nursing through many MRIs, I have to disagree with this statement based on the research I've done.  But as I don't think it applies in the case of the original poster, I'll leave those arguments for another time.   ;D

Katie

I was actually told 72 hours by the tech.  Did some research and came up with the more moderate 24 hour guideline.  I did run across a few places on the internet that mentioned no withdrawal time, but none of the dr's I talked to IRL would go with that one, especially because my baby was only 6 weeks old at the time.  Just saying...  ;-)

Vonda