Author Topic: AN's and 3-D movies  (Read 5709 times)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
AN's and 3-D movies
« on: June 28, 2010, 04:03:17 pm »
Does anyone else have issues with 3-D movies since their AN? 

When I went to see Avitar (when it first came out)...I had the glasses off in less than 5 minutes.  Not only did I feel dizzy...I felt a bit disoriented.   First person shooter games do the same thing.   :P ???

Anyone else?
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: AN's and 3-D movies
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 04:33:46 pm »
Have not been to one since AN surgery ...... not sure I am going to now.   :-\  We thought about going to Toy Story 3 .....  I'm anxious to read about anyone else's experience before I spend the money to go.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 04:52:17 pm »
The 3-D glasses would kill the left side of my head, as do most glasses and sunglasses.  (I must have at least 20 sunglasses sitting in a drawer because that issue.)  I find that I am dizzy normally in a movie theatre because of the dimness and the lighted floor.  I'm always hanging on to someone when walking up or down stairs to our seats.

I wouldn't even attempt a 3-D movie!!!  You are a very brave soul in my books  ;)

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

opp2

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 04:52:24 pm »
I saw it and UP and Coraline. No issues. However, I am pre op.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

mk

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 06:45:22 pm »
Post-GK, I have seen "Monsters and Aliens" and "How to train your dragon" with my daughter. No issues at all with the movie theatre or glasses. But the surcharge for 3D was pretty much wasted, as she took the 3D glasses off because the dragons scared her  :P

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Tracy Lynn

• If you are going through hell, keep going.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 01:26:23 am »
Wow, I was wondering the same thing. I haven't ventured to the theater since surgery. 3D movies generally make me dizzy anyhow, so I didn't think I'd have the derring do to go to one.
Right ear, 3.5 cm  Diagnosed 3-23-10 pre-op symptoms: 90% loss of hearing, headaches, Tinnitus.
Translab surgery 5-18-10
Post-op symptoms: SSD, Tinnitus, wonky-head
BAHA implant: 9-2-10

*Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end.*

Sefra22

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 06:39:49 am »
I've seen around 6 of the 3-D movies over the last few months, and each time I just feel very tired. I actually fell asleep during "Avatar". I don't feel this way after seeing a regular movie, so it must be something to do with the 3-D, although I can't be sure it is AN related.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 02:27:46 pm »
GM ~

I've seen three or four 3-D movies since my surgery & radiation without any noticeable problems.  As the previous responses indicate, I suspect that, like so many other AN-related difficulties, the problem with watching a 3-D movie is an individual issue and not something that is typical for every post-op AN patient.   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 02:54:44 pm »
I've seen  several 3D movies without a problem.  I have to agree about the dimness in the theater causing problems walking around though.  I hang onto the handrail like my life depends on it and it probably odes.  Once, much to my embarrassment, I fell into someones lap.  I don't think they liked it too much either.   :D

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 01:49:26 pm »
In the past I was not a big fan of 3D movies.  They usually give me a headache which I associate with eye fatigue.  Nausea was never a big issue, just a nasty headache.

I haven't seen Avatar, but I did see Shrek and Toy Story in 3D.  I made it a point to take off the glasses every 20-30 minutes just to give my eyes a break.  I just close them or blink a few times while looking away from the screen at a fixed point.  This seemed to keep the eye strain to a minimum and I'm happy to report I had no nausea at all.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Lizard

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 08:19:44 pm »
Yea went to see Avitar as well and the glasses gave me a headache..otherwise I was fine.  Also need help walking in the theater, but that's no biggie.  I was actually surprised that it didn't bother me more...
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 08:07:55 pm »
I saw Avatar and had no problems, but wondered if I would.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

moe

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 12:35:19 am »

Once, much to my embarrassment, I fell into someones lap.  I don't think they liked it too much either.   :D

You never know he or she may have liked it!
I personally have no problems with theatres or 3D movies, but then I don't have a problem with wonkyness, so I think that is why.
I did try one of the demos for the chair that moves around for that "total" effect, and thought NO WAY am i paying extra $ to sit on that. definitely made me more dizzy.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Jackie

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 12:58:02 am »
Took two of our Grandchildren to see Toy Story 3 in 3-D, and the glasses really bothered me, very poor fit! I'll wait for the 3-D televisions to come out,
you don't need glasses!

Blessings,
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

LisaP

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 05:08:41 am »
I have not gone to see a 3 D movie due to I thought that it would bother my AN.  I have dizziness along with headaches daily and don't need the movie to ad to my symptoms.

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W