Author Topic: Surgery date set  (Read 3700 times)

sdw79

Surgery date set
« on: July 07, 2010, 08:51:10 pm »
Well went to Dr. Gantz and now have a Middle Fossa set for Aug. 13th. Now thats done which is a little relief.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Surgery date set
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:30:03 pm »
sdw79 ~

Congratulations on obtaining a surgery date.  This is often the most difficult part of the AN journey - and you're past it, now.  Yes, the surgey is no picnic and carries some inevitable risks but we'll support you all the way.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sdw79

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:54:46 pm »
Thank you for the support. I am trying to remain optimistic and get my body ready for the date like quitting smoking and jogging but quitting smoking is going to very difficult with this stress on my shoulders, or should I say head.

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 04:30:59 am »
Hey! Good luck with the surgery! What hospital is this at?  I always thought the worse part of this whole thing was deciding what to do and where... At least you are past that hurdle now! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 06:42:13 am »
What hospital is this at?
My guess is Iowa.  I have read many a good thing about Dr. Gantz in Iowa City.

sdw 79 - Best of luck with your surgery.  As Jim mentioned, this is often the most difficult part of the journey.  I know I lost a few nights sleep trying to make a decision.  As far as the smoking goes, you know what you have to do, better to quit now then to wait until the last minute!
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

Cheryl R

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 06:51:54 am »
You will be one of several of us Univ of Iowa postie alumni.       There has been 2 more in June but we have not heard from them on here for a bit pre op and post op.      The wait ahead is very hard and nerve wracking but all of a sudden surgery time will be here.     Trying to quit smoking is good as there will be none while you are in the hospital plus puts you at greater risk for lung issues post op.      We are happy to listen for any thoughts and questions you have!
                                                        Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:15:43 am »
Congrats on making your treatment decision.  As Jim said, that's often the most difficult part of the AN Journey.

I know that Cheryl R has been very happy with Dr. Gantz; you're in great hands!

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

kenneth_k

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 11:53:36 am »
I wish you good luck and hope all turns out well.

Best regards, Kenneth