Author Topic: Operation at House Ear clinic today  (Read 5063 times)

Jossie

Operation at House Ear clinic today
« on: July 13, 2010, 04:12:39 am »
Hi. I'm new to ANA and will be having surgery today at the House Ear clinic. We travelled from South Africa on Thursday and arrived In LA on Friday afternoon after 25hours in transit. I met Dr's Swartz,Slattery,Stefan and Goddard yesterday and am so impressed with their professionalism and knowledge.
will post how it went - please pray for me as well as my parents that are here supporting me and my husband Reinier, kids Christian(15) Danielle(11) and Gustav(2) that had to remain in South Africa.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Operation at House Ear clinic today
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 08:53:29 am »
Jossie .....

Thoughts and prayers today.  Let us know how you are doing when it is all over.  Looking forward to hearing more about your situation.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 09:34:28 am »
Hello Jossie,
  You are in good hands at House.  Best of luck with your treatment.   I hope your recovery goes smoothly enough that you will get to see a bit of LA while you're there.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:46:39 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

moe

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 09:35:26 am »
Jossie,
Good thing you checked in before your surgery.  ;) What a long distance to travel. You and your family are in my prayers today for a successful surgery and normal recovery so you can get back HOME.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

opp2

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 10:55:47 am »
Wow Jossie, what a lot to deal with. All the best to you. I'm on the same coast so you are likely just getting put under. good wishes, good thoughts...
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 01:30:48 pm »
Hello and welcome, Jossie ~

Thanks for posting!  Of course you'll be in my thoughts and prayers today - and those of many others - as you undergo surgery at the famed HEI. 

I admire your fortitude in traveling such a long distance for your AN surgery, but I also think it will prove to be a wise decision and I'm confident that you'll do very well.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lizard

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 01:43:20 pm »
Josie,
You are in the most capable hands, sending prayers your way.  Please let us know how everything goes.
Lots of hugs!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 06:25:22 pm »
Welcome Jossie,

Sorry we're late getting to this thread.

You really are on quite a journey, being from South Africa.

We will certainly keep you, and your family in our thoughts and prayers,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

lori67

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 06:30:23 pm »
Jossie,

Hope everything went well for you today!  You sure traveled a long way.  I hope you have a quick recovery and can get back home to see your kids soon! 

Hopefully the LA crew will be able to check in on you too.  You've got many prayers coming from all over!

Keep us posted.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

satman

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 06:45:07 am »
cant stand the wait for an update  :(
hope all went well .
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

Jossie

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 04:29:01 am »
Hi Everyone!!! im back, and i made it..wow.the drs at house ear and the personell at St Vicents are just incredible! i can not sy that it was a picnic, and am still recovering a bit more everyday but I am so grateful to be alive, that the op went well - for the first time in more than a year I have hope that everything is going to be fine and that i will gradually have a life again! Can't wait to go back to my country of birth,South Afriica - but honestly will need some prayers and thoughts for the 31 hour coneccting flights. I live for the moment when I arrive at home and greet my husbandand three kids!!to all of you that still has to undergo surgery or other treatment - good luck!!!i will pray for you. my plan is to create more awareness of AN in South Africa, think it may be hugely misdiagnosed and treated there in some cases.
lots of love

jossie (juanita terblanche)

DR

• Dennis vs. The Tumor
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 06:12:58 am »
Jossie,

Congratulations on a successful surgery and best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Keep in touch and let us know how things progress.

- Dennis
AN right side 12mm x 9mm x 9mm
Middle fossa surgery 11/4/09 at House (Dr. Brackmann/Dr. Schwartz)
Tumor removed, no facial issues, hearing intact!
http://denvstumor.blogspot.com/

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."

moe

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 08:02:21 am »
Juanita,
Congrats on a successful surgery! It's a tough one, now you know, but as you know baby steps will get you running before long.
How long will you remain in the states? Concentrate on gathering your strength, walking, resting, sleeping, repeat cycle.... and lots of fluids too.
How's your pain? Any facial nerve issues?
Congrats again!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Mickey

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 08:23:04 am »
Congrats! and many prayers for a speedy recovery. Best wishes, Mickey

opp2

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 08:31:54 am »
Safe trip Jossie! I flew home on day 10. 4 hour flight, so nothing like what you're going to take on. I had no problems. A little normal ear popping on the way up. I did notice that my AN eye began twitching on the plane, but it was intermittent and not a big deal. That twitching still happens every day for a couple times a day so I believe it was not at all connected to flying home.

We booked first class home so I could lie down in the plane, but you know, I never did. I did raise my legs, but didn't feel the need to lie down. My husband did. Poor soul..so tired from taking care of me.

All the Best Jossie, you did fab!
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.