Author Topic: anyone newly diagnosed....  (Read 3852 times)

Battyp

anyone newly diagnosed....
« on: May 18, 2006, 07:33:57 pm »
http://www.anarchive.org/approaches.htm

I found an article here that was pretty interesting..I'm sure there is also something similar on this site.  It's the pros and cons to the different surgical approaches.

Michelle

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: anyone newly diagnosed....
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 02:54:42 pm »
Michelle:

Thanks for the link.

I was diagnosed with a 4.5cc AN on May 10th, 2006.  I'm having it removed by the very experienced and respected surgeon, Dr. Issac Goodrich, at Saint Raphaels hospital in New Haven, CT via the retrosigmoid approach.  The surgery is scheduled for May 24th.  I just cleared my pre-op exams (with flying colors) and everything is 'go'.  I'll have another MRI the day before surgery but that is just a precaution so there are no 'surprises' when they get into the affected section. 

The drawings were helpful for my wife and son to better understand exactly what is going to be done to remove the tumor.

Frankly, I'm one of those folks who just wants to get the basic facts and understand the 'odds' for any possible complications so I know what to expect and can better deal with it.  The exact details of the procedure are not terribly important to me as I have full confidence in my surgeon and his team.  However, I find that family and friends...who are very supportive...seem to want to know about every aspect of the operation and the article and drawings help provide that for them.

Thanks again.
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 03:10:32 pm »
Good Luck! Mr. Scott!!!

Denise

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 03:32:51 pm »
Thank you, Denise. 

I'm very confident and optimistic but I also understand that recovery may be slower than I would prefer, but that won't stop me from doing the very best I can to 'come back' and resume my life, as it were.   I can't wait.  :)
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Battyp

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 03:56:20 pm »
Jim I wish you the best of luck on your upcoming surgery!  I had retro too and yes my recovery has been slow but...I had unusual circumstances that didn't help.  The more you can get up and walk the faster you'll recover you're balance.

If there is anything we can do to help put your family at ease please feel free to ask or email!  Crazycat (paul) had a large tumor removed and he's doing beautifully..back to playing his instruments and jogging if memory serves me correctly! 

Keep us posted on your progress!

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 05:46:12 pm »
Hey another CT person !! I also started all this AN fun at New Haven  :o  ... ended up going to House Ear Clinic in LA !

Good Luck! .. and If you have any questions or want a visitor from a fellow AN'er just drop me a line! 

maybe ppearl214 and I will drop in !!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 05:58:32 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Obita

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 07:03:35 pm »
Good Luck Jim Scott:

My AN was removed via Translab exactly two years ago.  If you have any pre or post questions just ask.  If they use a pressure bandage (mine was on for 5 days) you will feel like a million bucks when it comes off.  My balance was great once the vise was off my head!!

Kathy from Minnesota

ps:  Eat iron rich foods when you get home.  You will feel so much stronger once your hemoglobin goes back up.  I ate cashews and kidney beans plus drank two Boost a day.  I can't do liver.........

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 12:42:35 am »
http://www.anarchive.org/approaches.htm

I found an article here that was pretty interesting..I'm sure there is also something similar on this site.  It's the pros and cons to the different surgical approaches.

Michelle

I accidently found this site and found it very interesting.  Lots of good information there, I think.  It's a good site for everyone to take a look at.  Just my opinion, anyway! :)
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode