Author Topic: Facial sling in paralyzed cheek?  (Read 4078 times)

jilljpower

Facial sling in paralyzed cheek?
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:27:07 am »
Hello All,
I am post op 12 months with my facial nerve intact, however I have very little movement in my mouth/cheek.  I am wondering if anyone has had the facial sling operation done on their affected side, or knows anyone who has done this?  Is this a good option for someone who is having a super slow recovery and just wants to look symmetrical in the meantime?  Also, I hear that the sling is reversable.  Is that true and are there huge side affects to doing that?  I would love to hear what can be done that isn't too abrasive, such as the grafts and tendon transfers.  I am debating whether to wait for however long it may be till my nerve comes back.. if it does, or to get the sling.  Opinions and thoughts? 
Jill

P.S.  I'd really like to post a pic of myself, but I cannot figure it out.
4cm AN, debulked 6/22/09 Redwood City, CA Kaiser.  1 gram platinum gold weight in eyelid.  Nerve intact, but full facial paralysis.  Cross Facial Nerve Graft- 2step process 11/2011 and 7/2012.  Try blogging, it has been great therapy for me.  www.jilljoyousjourney.blogspot.c

iluuvpups

Re: Facial sling in paralyzed cheek?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:16:19 pm »
Hi.  Here are the instructions I stole from another thread on how to post your pic (courtesy of Jim Scott):

Open an account (free) at www.photobucket.com  and upload your photo from your hard drive.

Once your picture is uploaded to Photobucket, click on the link below your photo that says "HTML Code" and right click to copy.

Open your profile in the AN website forum section and click on the link on the left side that says "Forum Profile Information".

Click on the button that says "I have my own photo".

Right click to paste the HTML code link where indicated on the profile page.

Be sure to click on the 'Change Profile' box located in the extreme lower right corner of the page.  Many folks overlook this crucial, final step and are frustrated when their photo doesn't appear.
Original 1.75cm left-side AN diagnosed Feb 2010
Translab surgery May 27, 2010 with Drs. Kartush and Pieper of MEI
SSD on left side, some facial weakness, tear duct doesn't work
Found I actually had a facial neuroma during translab
Remaining 6mm facial neuroma - watch and wait

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 03:19:06 pm »
Hi Jill:  I saw a picture once of a woman who had only the sling done - it looked great.  I had to have 2 slings + the Temporalis Tendon Transfer due to the severity of my paralysis.  I think you should look into the sling alone since you're only 1 year out & your facial nerve is intact.  Check with your surgeon for before/after pictures of the sling only.
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 12:16:16 am »
I had the sling done, was the second of a few repairs I had done.....good results for the "at rest" look
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

odirish

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 12:51:56 pm »
I;ve had the facial sling done. I was told it would last about 3 years. It probably lasted more like 5 or 6. I liked it. My smile was still crooked, but the right side of my face didn't look so flat. I had my surgery done at Penn State Hershey Medical Ctr. If you need details, PM me.

Mary Ann