Author Topic: CK starts today  (Read 5558 times)

free2be

CK starts today
« on: September 29, 2010, 11:23:50 am »
Well, I was ready to cancel last night and this AM. I just talked to the radiation oncologist's nurse practitioner to get clarification on some things. The latest MRI measurements (from Stanford's machine) that I was given by Dr. Chang (in a hurry in the office) are NOT what the radiologist or the radiation oncologist measured more precisesly. The damn thing is larger, not smaller. It's 2 mm in two directions, possibly still margin of error, but on that limit and NOT smaller as I had been thinking. AND the rad oncologist, while I have not been given measurements as yet, indicated the trigeminal nerve and tumor proximity because it is currently not close enough to have major concerns about treating it now, but if it got closer then I could have problems with that. I've heard that can be excruciatingly painful.

I think this clarification has (unfortunately) given me the answer that I sought and the push that I need to move forward and not chance larger issues.

First treatment today 2 PM Pacific time at Stanford.

Connie
Diagnosed Nov. 2008 Right AN 7 mm x 9 mm
Incremental MRIs enhancing mass
June 2010 1.4 cm x 0.9 cm extension into the CP angle
Pre-CK Stanford measurements 1.6 X 1.1 cm
9/29/10 - 10/1/10 CK completed with Dr Steven Chang and Soltys, Stanford.
6-month thru three year (8/13) follow ups MRI: stable

sunfish

Re: CK starts today
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 01:32:36 pm »
Hope this afternoon goes well for you (I'm sure it will).  Your AN is almost exactly the same size as mine, and in the CPA too.  I had CK last March, and am quite glad I did.  As you know, you could have some minor ups and downs after CK, both due to the tumor and due to the CK.  All in all, I'm not sorry for a minute that I had CK.  I reached the same conclusion you have - a tumor this size is too big to ignore (in my opinion), but still small enough to treat with radiation.

Rest (if possible, if you're on steroids), and know that this procedure can take a few days to a couple weeks to get over entirely.  As we love to say here, "individual results may vary," just like individual reactions to treatments can vary.

If I had it to do over, I'd have taken more advantage of folks who offered support, and had more people stay with me during the days/nights after treatment.  Some folks on this forum were fortunate enough to be able to go sightseeing, etc. after their treatments, but my reactions to the meds were not so good, so I didn't feel too well.

Take care! 
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 01:34:37 pm »
Connie ~

I'm sorry to learn that your AN may be larger than you were led to believe but I think you're doing the best thing as you commence the CK treatment.  Many thoughts and prayers will be with you, today.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 01:01:02 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

free2be

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:26:31 pm »
Thanks, Sunfish and Jim. One down, two to go. Honestly, I'm having a bit more discomfort this evening after round one than I expected...but it's not terrible. I didn't think I'd feel anything during or right after the treatments, but I guess that isn't necessarily the case. This too will pass...right?

Round 2, tomorrow 9:30 AM.

Connie

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:25:31 pm »
Connie, you're really giving me the confidence to know that pushing my date up was exactly the right thing to do. I'm sorry you're experiencing discomfort, I hope it's only very, very temporary. (no rhyme intended.  :D )

Best of luck tomorrow for round two, and Friday, final round.
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

jerseygirl

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 07:18:11 am »
Best of luck with your treatment, Connie! Remember, discomfort is only temporary but the outcome is forever, and your chances of excellent outcome are excellent!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 01:07:14 am »
Hi, Connie:

Sorry I haven't been on the forum for around 4 weeks, so I missed your wind-up to CK treatments. I am really relieved that you didn't put off your CK treatments. I, too, second-guessed my decision right up until I got on the CK table; it's only natural to be afraid about such a major procedure. But I am 100% convinced now that CK was the right treatment for me, and a very necessary one, and I only wish I'd had it done sooner, before it destroyed more nerve tissue/function.

Eve is right -- any discomfort you feel is temporary. I had a really strong reaction to CK, but I would do it again in a heartbeat if I had to (which might be the case, considering my small hypoglossal tumor is as yet untreated but has not been growing). Recovery from the treatments and reactions to the tumor dying -- that's all just a waiting game. It's just a matter of time before you'll feel terrific again. For me there is no question -- CyberKnife gave me my life back.

Please let us know how you're doing.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 04:04:51 am »
Connie

I've been following along (you KNOW I would ;) ) and hoping by the time you read this, its appropriate for me to write "congrats to the newest 'toastie postie' " :)  Please keep us updated on how you are doing... don't forget that there is a wealth of info for post-radio patients here on the forums and sending my very best wishes to you!

Well done! (figuratively and actual!) :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tumbleweed

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2010, 10:29:59 pm »

Well done! (figuratively and actual!) :)

Phyl

I like that, Phyl!  :D You might say my medium-sized AN (as we all know, a tumor few people get) was "medium-rare" but it is now "well done" after getting cooked on the CK table.  :D

Best,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

free2be

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 07:31:48 pm »
I am cooked, well done, I believe, though I can't "see" it to check. I was dreaming there was a way to look at the tumor ourselves and see what it was doing, anytime we wanted. And, no I didn't have any hard drugs!

We're home. Got home late last night. The trip home was a little more crazy, but we made it. I didn't feel real well, but hard to say from what. I am still fighting cold/sinus infection, which is trying to get into my chest a bit. Would have preferred the procedure without cold and infections, but I guess nothing stops the robot or the radiation. I asked if nuking my cold would kill it, but no such luck on that either.

I slept on the couch most of the day today. I'm having a bit of discomfort on tumor side, but other than fatigue, that may be cold related, I'm okay.

Thanks to all for prayers and well wishes. The next 6 plus months are a bit unnerving, but again...one day at a time.

Connie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 03:08:16 pm »
Connie ~

Congratulations on completing your Cyber Knife treatment(s)!  Rest as needed - and think positive....it can't hurt.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Anomar11

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 03:37:25 pm »
Connie,

Congratulations on being done!  I'm was also treated at Stanford 11/08 Chang and Gibbs.  It was such a relief, I remember sitting in their chapel grateful for the technology and that I was able to have it.  One day at a time is exactly right, but that's true for all us, radiation or surgery.  Take care,

Mona
L An diagnosed 5/08 2.0 x 1.1 x 1.3 cm.  Cyberknife Stanford Drs Chang and Gibbs Nov '08.  One yr: 2.1 x 1.4 x 1.6, Two yr: 2.2 x 1.5 x 1.8, Three yr: 1.9 x 1.5 x 1.5, Four year 1.6 x 1.1 x 1.1, Six yr: 1.4 x .7 x .9

Tisha

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 06:29:19 am »
I'm glad it is behind you!  How are you feeling today.  I'm sorry you didn't feel well during the trip, but hopefully you got to do a few things.  Please let us know...
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

Lizard

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 11:00:18 am »
Congrats toastie postie, I hope your cold/sinus infection gets better and your symptoms continue to be minor.
Take care,
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

free2be

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 12:49:13 pm »
Thanks, all.

My cold is some better today, thankfully. I am having some discomfort on side of head behind ear and in front along with a little numb feeling and twitch in face. I'm assuming this will be temporary and just reaction to the rad.

Connie