Author Topic: Tomorrow is the first step of my journey  (Read 2512 times)

sbrn

Tomorrow is the first step of my journey
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:56:44 am »
Tomorrow I go in for my pre-op things at the hospital :) Reality is starting to creep up quickly. While I have been a bit nervous about everything I think going to the hospital tomorrow for the day is going to drive everything home quickly and make me extremely nervous. I wish they would do the Pre-op things closer to the actual surgery date which is the 26th.
\
Greg
Husband diagnosed 7/10 with 1.2 x 1.1cm AN
Translab 26 Oct 10
Baptist medical center Nashville TN

moe

Re: Tomorrow is the first step of my journey
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:38:37 am »
Greg,
Yes, that does seem a bit early for your preop.\.Stay focused on things, if you can, that you like to do: staying busy will help too.
Do you exercise? That helped me a lot pre op so I could be in good shape post op.
It'll be here before you know it. Hang in there ;)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:34:15 am »
Greg .....

I agree.  I wish your pre-op could be closer to the surgery date.  They must have their reasons for doing it this early.

My pre-op was the day before and it was very calming from that point on for me.  Like Maureen said, try to stay busy.  Do fun things with your family.  Prepare things to make it easier for the post-op days.  Finish up nagging tasks (if you can) so you can concentrate on healing during your recovery and not be concerned about unfinished business.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:31:00 am »
Hi Greg,
  Early pre-op exams can be a good thing.  In case they find something, say something like a heart rythm irregularity, the doctors will have more time to try and straighten out the problem before the surgery date.  The closer the pre-op exam is to the surgery date, the more likely that the surgery date may have to be postponed.  
  Best of luck with both your pre-op exam, and your AN treatment.  :)
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Lizard

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:09:21 am »
Greg,
It will be a dose of reality for sure, but the date is coming and you will be out the other side before you know it.  Try to keep yourself busy and do some of your most favorite activities with you most favorite people.  It will help to comfort you and keep your mind off things.
hang in there,
Liz

PS  My Dr's required my pre-op to be 30 or less before the surgery so Greg seems to be within the limits....
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:52:10 pm »
Good luck!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 08:53:47 am »
This is the worst part man. By the time the 26th gets here, you'll actually feel some sense of relief (as odd as that sounds)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 02:01:17 pm »
Greg ~

The early pre-op testing is actually beneficial.  If any problems are discovered they can be addressed, now, and the surgery wouldn't have to be canceled, which is really exasperating.  I know because it happened to me.  I came through all my pre-op tests with flying colors but a CT scan found a suspicious 'mass' on my liver.  They thought it was cancer (I didn't - I felt fine) and referred me to an oncologist.   My neurosurgeon immediately canceled my AN surgery, just 5 days away.  I underwent a liver biopsy.  No cancer (whew!) - just a hepatic hemangioma (noncancerous tumor made of dilated blood vessels) and no treatment was necessary because I was asymptomatic.  My AN debulking surgery was quickly rescheduled.  Had this test been performed much sooner, it wouldn't have beeen necessary to reschedule my surgery. 

Because your original post was on Monday (4th), I assume your pre-op testing has been completed by now.  I trust everything was O.K.  Please let us know how it went.  Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.