Author Topic: 3 weeks post op - expectations?  (Read 3535 times)

kathleen anna

3 weeks post op - expectations?
« on: October 05, 2010, 05:45:27 pm »
Hi......so Wednesday will be three weeks since the surgery.  I know that everyone heals differently and at different paces, but can anyone give me some pointers as to what to expect?  I just started to mentally feel myself over the weekend...felt like I could carry and be interested in the conversations going on around me!  I thought I was physically feeling a little better also and was moving around better but I woke up today with a pretty bad headache and just generally feel bad.  Just want to sleep.  The weather has been raining off and on for two days which doesnt help.  I am taking advil when needed and tylenol with codeine when needed, but I am trying to just use the Advil.  It seems that there will be good days and then some not so good days?  And how long does this heavy, head feeling last?  Does the weather affect the soreness of the incision and the headaches?  I go back for a check up on the 26th, but was wondering if any of my questions can be answered by people who have actually been here? and if there are any other pointers that you can give. Thanks.......Kathleen Anna

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 3 weeks post op - expectations?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 06:16:53 pm »
Kathleen Anna .....

You are right, everyone is different.  However, most of us will agree that it is a two step forward, one step backward for quite awhile post-op.  Two and a half + years later, sometimes I still have an unexplainable "bad" day with more wonkyhead and extreme fatigue.  I have not had to deal with headaches since surgery.  Prior to my surgery I had what I called my "barometric pressure" headaches, which seemed to go along with weather fronts coming through the area.

Three weeks out is still very early and it sounds like you are well overall.  Listen to your body and rest when you are tired or overwhelmed.  Walking is still the best exercise, but do it safely and in short bunches at first.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ksiwek

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 06:47:52 pm »
Hi!  Sounds like you are doing well 3 weeks post op!  Recovery from AN surgery is so, so different for everyone.  It sure would be nice to have a handbook, but that is the strength of this forum.  I felt 'heavy headed' up until 13 weeks.  I was really worried that it would never subside.  After 13 or so weeks it has tapered off (I am 18 weeks post op on Friday).  I still have days where I feel disoriented and just plain exhausted.   My triggers for 'wonky head' now are when I am tired, miss a day of walking/exercise, flourescent lights and big stores like Target.  Maybe it is a placebo effect, but ever since I started taking a high dose of an omega 3 supplement my brain seems happier and I am more clear headed.  Time to heal I am sure has a lot to do with the improvement, but I think the supplement helps.  I have had many weird things that have come and gone...for example, brief metallic taste on my tongue, tingly feeling all over the AN side of my head, brain scrambles (feeling like someone 'unplugged' me  :P).  I have searched for many topics on the forum since my surgery and have found there is always someone out there who has had the same thing.  If you can't find it, start a new thread!   Best of luck with your ongoing recovery. 
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 06:48:00 pm »
Kathleen Anna -

you are still very early in your recovery and from personal experience I can tell you that the two steps forward, one step back that you are experiencing is perfectly normal.

The fatigue is normal also - I had it for months; doc said I would and he was absolutely right.

I didn't have headaches or weather-related issues so I can't give you my take on those.

But as Clarice said, listen to your body and rest when you need to.  Recovery from AN surgery takes time - and patience, which is sometimes very hard to find, is key.

Hang in there!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

opp2

)
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:12:14 pm »
Hi......so Wednesday will be three weeks since the surgery.  I know that everyone heals differently and at different paces, but can anyone give me some pointers as to what to expect?  I just started to mentally feel myself over the weekend...felt like I could carry and be interested in the conversations going on around me!  I thought I was physically feeling a little better also and was moving around better but I woke up today with a pretty bad headache and just generally feel bad.  Just want to sleep.  The weather has been raining off and on for two days which doesnt help.  I am taking advil when needed and tylenol with codeine when needed, but I am trying to just use the Advil.  It seems that there will be good days and then some not so good days?  And how long does this heavy, head feeling last?  Does the weather affect the soreness of the incision and the headaches?  I go back for a check up on the 26th, but was wondering if any of my questions can be answered by people who have actually been here? and if there are any other pointers that you can give. Thanks.......Kathleen Anna

Hi KA, I am about 3 months out...actually 3 months tomorrow (YAY Me). I spent my first 10 days post op with just my husband and I, walking a little, sleeping a lot. I was lucky that we had a mini vacation in quiet Whistler BC for days 5-10 then flew home to Ontario where my Mother in Law stayed on (after watching my 2 kids for 2 weeks) for days 11-13. My kids have been fabulous, letting me sleep in every day over the summer til 9 am or later. I made sure I was in bed at least by 11pm. I hung around the house doing very little until mid August, and then I started doing little reno projects. I blame it on boredom. I see my surgeon next week and likely will return to work part time the week after.

Sleep as much as you can. Enjoy the sleep time. Your brain is healing, your body is healing. It will get better, but I still get tired. I'm probably up too late right now because I get my kids away in the mornings so I get up at 7:15 with them. Exercise in moderation when the doctor tells you that you can. It really does help to get out and get moving. If you're in a state that has a nice crisp fall you will likely enjoy a nice walk daily in a couple of more weeks. Don't fret taking the headache meds. If you don't get enough sleep, you will likely get a headache based on fatigue. Keep your optimism...be empowered by the knowledge that you will get better. You're here, your tumour is not.(yay YOU!!)

all the best

Nikki
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 01:48:06 pm »

As others have said, the two steps forward one step back feeling is quite normal.  It sounds like you're doing quite well for 3 weeks out. 

I had translab, and didn't feel safe to left alone with my children (as the only caretaker) until 4 1/2 weeks, and then it was only for a couple hours and only because we had no choice.  I was able to stop the narcotics at a week post-op, but was on round-the-clock Advil until almost 6 weeks.  After 6 weeks, I could actually go a few hours after a dose wore off before needing another dose.  It's normal to have a good day followed by a very sleepy day at this point in your recovery.  Just listen to what your body is telling you, don't push too hard at once, and you'll heal.  I found 6 weeks post-op to be the turning point for me, as have many others.

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 02:23:44 pm »
Kathleen Anna ~

Frankly, just as the previous posters have stated, it would appear as if your recovery at three weeks post-op is relatively normal.  There will be small setbacks and 'reminders' of your surgery but overall, you seem to be recovering fairly well.  The headaches are an aggravation but usually can be managed.  The fatigue is also an annoyance but will subside, in time.  My neurosurgeon told me, pre-op, that my recovery would be measured in months, not weeks.  Although I surprised him with a very rapid recovery, four years later, I can see that I was a lot better at three months (and three years) post-op, than I was at 3 weeks. I suggest you try to take it one day at a time and know that you'll be better in a few weeks than you are today. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

moe

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:35:03 pm »
KA,
Sounds like a normal (?) AN recovery. No two are the same. One step forward, two steps back.
I still tend to overdo it and feel it the next day.
All good suggestions, especially the sleeping, walking, resting.
I didn't do anything but walking for a couple of months, watch the bending over too (don 't know how long they say to not bend over) which may cause the headaches.
Someone mentioned this in an old forum.
You really are doing great!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sterry

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 10:18:09 pm »
I'm almost at my one year post translab surgery, and I did get a sinus infection at about 3 weeks post-op, had a terrible headache, which was different than the headache with the tumor.  I thought it was all going to be the new normal, but ended up at the ER in my Wyoming hometown, thought for sure I would have to return to LA for more of something, but after about 48 hours of antibiotics all was good and I have been headache free since.  Was eating so much Tylenol I'm pretty sure it masked any fever I may have had.  Not to admit that being a RN keeps me saying I'll be better tomorrow.  So make sure to ask questions, good luck.
Left AN 3.7 cm. 10-23-09 
HEI Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz
Translab
Doing well