Author Topic: 2 weeks out tomorrow!!  (Read 3581 times)

patdel

2 weeks out tomorrow!!
« on: November 15, 2010, 08:40:03 pm »
Well, I am happy to say I am a postie toastie!! Had surgery Nov. 2.  I am doing well, getting a little stronger every day. I did lose the hearing in my left ear but who knows, things can change!But, on the plus side, the tinnitus is gone so that in itself is a blessing.  I only have minor discomfort, which is great. I did struggle for a few days with the nausea from the darn pills. Once I switched to just tylenol, all is well. I have been walking outside a little and today I felt my legs were much stronger. Didn't feel like noodles for a change. 

I am a happy postie, thanking the good Lord this is behind me.

Pat
Pat

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: 2 weeks out tomorrow!!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 08:58:48 pm »
Hi Pat .....

Good to hear from you.  So glad the surgery is over and it sounds like you are doing very well.  Remember to listen to your body and walk, rest, rest, walk, rest, rest, etc.  You will feel stronger each week.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Lizard

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:55:25 am »
Thanks for the update and congrats toastie postie!
Like Clarice said, lots of rest, get moving, but make sure to listen to your body and don't push too hard, there's always tomorrow!
Liz
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:03:04 pm »
When I was 2 weeks I read the old post. And what the vets said to others really helped me. Like 2 steps forward and 1 step back. The double vision.

I'm about 6 weeks now. I'm still very sore on my side from laying on the surgery table.

My biggest grip is I lost my taste of sweetness. Includes honey. And its made eating kinda strange. I'm told it will come back one day. Jan (leapyrtwins) said her sweet buds were out for 6 months. And others had said 1-3 months.

If your bored just read the old post. They helped me allot.

Welcome to the other side.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 02:57:14 pm »
Pat ~

Congratulations on your successful surgery and ongoing recovery.  It seems as if you're recovering at a nice, brisk pace.  One note: to qualify for the 'postie toastie' appellation one needs to have undergone both surgery and radiation. 'Postie' designates post-surgery and 'toastie' designates post-radiation (toasted).  However, being a 'postie' is a hard-won, honorable title - so wear it proudly.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 11:43:46 am »
Pat:

Glad your you are a happy postie. You will notice quick improvement in your balance & in how you feel in general.

Are you suffering from headaches? Is that why you're taking Tylenol?

I'd like to warn you about relying too much on Tylenol. I was taking 3000mgs/day. My body was used to it & if I didn't take it, I got the most painful & debilitating of headaches. It took rx drugs to get me off of my daily dose of Tylenol. And, it's not good for your liver.

What has been most effective for my headaches is my heating pad. If you do get headaches I recommend you get one. It works wonders for my pain.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 10:28:14 pm »
Congrats, postie!

Good to see you back among us  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

6pick

• Light a candle rather than curse the darkness.
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 10:42:04 pm »
One note: to qualify for the 'postie toastie' appellation one needs to have undergone both surgery and radiation. 'Postie' designates post-surgery and 'toastie' designates post-radiation (toasted).  However, being a 'postie' is a hard-won, honorable title - so wear it proudly.  :)

Jim

Are we going to have a separate thread on this Toastie Postie or Postie Toastie thing? I mean, who makes the rules anyway? I had only CK so I guess I'm just a Toastie? Honestly, I'll gladly give up the Postie label especially in honor of those who bravely chose or were "forced" to take the surgery route.  :D  I respectfully defer to Jim's expertise.

But I digress and threaten to derail the thread -

Congrats, patdel, this is awesome news.

Well, I am happy to say . . . I am doing well, getting a little stronger every day . . . the tinnitus is gone so that in itself is a blessing . . . all is well.

Pat
5/21/10 diagnosis: Left side AN: size 25X17; tinnitus with variable volume, garbled word recognition, disequilibrium.

10/11/10 CK treatment@Stanford; Drs. Chang, Gibbs, Lieberson size 25 x 20 x 15 mm

4/24/12 size 23 X 20 X 15 no hearing change

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 06:09:19 am »
"Postie" applies to "post-treatment" (regardless of treatment)... "toastie" does pertain to "radiation".... so, many "posties" here (such as myself) but postie-toastie is post-radiation.

Back on track folks and Pat.... wellness wishes coming to you!!!!!!! :) :) :)  Hang in there.

Phyl

One note: to qualify for the 'postie toastie' appellation one needs to have undergone both surgery and radiation. 'Postie' designates post-surgery and 'toastie' designates post-radiation (toasted).  However, being a 'postie' is a hard-won, honorable title - so wear it proudly.  :)

Jim

Are we going to have a separate thread on this Toastie Postie or Postie Toastie thing? I mean, who makes the rules anyway? I had only CK so I guess I'm just a Toastie? Honestly, I'll gladly give up the Postie label especially in honor of those who bravely chose or were "forced" to take the surgery route.  :D  I respectfully defer to Jim's expertise.

But I digress and threaten to derail the thread -

Congrats, patdel, this is awesome news.

Well, I am happy to say . . . I am doing well, getting a little stronger every day . . . the tinnitus is gone so that in itself is a blessing . . . all is well.

Pat
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

petgroomer

• Love to live... Live to love...
    • Vagal Schwannoma
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 11:00:34 pm »
So glad to see you are doing well!  Keep us posted.. :)
JULY 2009 found 5.6 cm X 4 cm vagal schwan on the 10th cranial nerve and by MAY 2010 it grew to 7.1 cm X 4 cm X 4.1 cm  Nov 2010 it has grown another 10%... time for C.K.! :)
I love life but I'm finding it harder to do .. one millimetre at a time.
www.vagalschwannoma.com 
www.allinonepetcare.co