Author Topic: congrats Patrick on finishing Houston Marathon!!!!!  (Read 7443 times)

Keri

congrats Patrick on finishing Houston Marathon!!!!!
« on: January 30, 2011, 11:44:05 am »
Hey everyone,
We've written about this on the 'let's walk, run or something' thread. Patrick is running his first marathon. I just looked up his time... he was shooting to finish under 4:30; he did 4:28:39.    GREAT JOB PATRICK!!!!!

This is a great time!!! When you run a marathon for the first time especially, you even wonder if you'll finish sometimes. The forecast in the Houston area wasn't looking to great either, with thunderstorms and high humidity (which is really tough to run in). We are all so proud of you, Patrick!!!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: congrats Patrick on finishing Houston Marathon!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 12:19:13 pm »
Congratulations Patrick... great time ..

I do good to finish 5k ...

I like walking or working in temp around 35 or 40 ... get warm but don't over heat ... humidity zaps me
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Tod

• My blog (work and life)
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 01:50:47 pm »
Great job, Patrick! That's within 10 seconds of my first marathon...they all got slower after that. I hope yours always improve!

-Tod
Bob the tumor: 4.4cm x 3.9cm x 4.1 cm.
Trans-Lab and Retro-sigmoid at MCV on 2/12/2010.

Removed 90-95% in a 32 hour surgery. Two weeks in ICU.  SSD Left.

http://randomdatablog.com

BAHA implant 1/25/11.

28 Sessions of FSR @ MCV ended 2/9/12.

lori67

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 01:57:57 pm »
WHOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!   Way to go, Patrick!

What an awesome accomplishment!  I hope you have a big celebration....maybe after a nap and a good soak in a hot tub.   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 02:23:15 pm »
Thanks for the update on Patrick's Houston Marathon finish, Keri. 

Patrick, congratulations on - not simply finishing the run - but achieving your goal of coming in under 4:30. Well done!  You're an inspiration to AN patients and a hero to many of us.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 04:11:47 pm »
WAY TO GO PATRICK!!!
K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 06:22:23 pm »
Awesome! You met goals 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 - way to go!
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 06:31:01 pm »
Super, Patrick!  Way to go and go and go!  How ya feeling?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jeanlea

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 08:39:23 pm »
Congratulations, Patrick!  Way to go in achieving your goal!

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 09:32:16 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Congrats, Patrick!!!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 07:33:29 am »
Thanks a lot guys. Your support means more than you know. Like Keri says, I really didn't know what to expect not ever doing a full marathon before. It was really tough, especially the last 10 miles, but I somehow made it to the finish ok. I could barely walk after crossing the finish line. I think it took me more time to walk 100 yards to the convention center (where you could meet up with your supporters) than it did for me to run the last mile. I had great support from my wife and both sons (who came in from college just to support me on the run) and some friends. I have to give it to the city of Houston for turning out to support the runners even under rainy conditions most of the day. The officials said there were likely 300,000 fans along the route. There was hardly any stretch of the 26.2 miles that there wasn't somebody there cheering all the runners on...from the elite runners to the average Joe like me.

I talked to several veteran Houston marathoners afterwards and they said this one was the most difficult conditions that they've run in....not because of the rain, but because of the high temperature (68-72 degrees F) and humidity (95%). I know that may not sound hot, but it really is for running long distance. I felt pretty good for the first 15-16 miles, but it really started taking a toll on me after that. I'm a little sore in a few areas, but feeling ok for the most part.

Aside from the physical toll, the marathon really is a mental struggle as well along the way. The last 6 miles of the course is a little hilly, and a lot of folks around me were walking up the hills. I convinced myself to go very slowly, but don't stop running. I was afraid if I ever started walking that I would never get back to running. I'll steal a line from Yogi Berra and say that running a marathon is 90% mental and the other half is physical.

I plan on taking a few days off exercising and will start next weekend training on the road bicycle to get ready for the Houston to Austin MS150 bike ride.

Thanks again for all your support.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Cheryl R

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 08:25:26 am »
Patrick,  You're no average Joe in my eyes!         Any one who can do a marathon is darn good!        Good thing to take it easy a bit and am very happy for you and all on here who make it any running event!                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 09:39:49 am »
Patrick .....

Adding my congratulations.  I cannot imagine walking that far, let alone running!  As Cheryl said, you are no average Joe.  Wonder how many other runners there were that have overcome what you have .....  Maybe some, but not very many.

Congratulations!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 09:53:54 am »
Patrick~
I was talking to the trainer at the club this morning who ran it and she was saying that the humidity made it really rough!!  Catch this...her chip NEVER registered!!!  It is like she never was even there or ran!!  Can you believe that?  They have sent e-mails - she had a guy she race with the whole time and of course, it's on video but still!  She said she was just glad it wasn't her best time ever that didn't register!  She got 6th in her age class and she figures probably in the 60's overall...

Way to go, again - you rock!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

rupert

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 07:06:12 pm »

Congratulations Patrick,   that is quite an accomplishment.    In my younger years I ran two marathons ( actually the same one twice ).   It
had a three mile uphill climb at the seventeen mile mark.   That killed a lot of people.     I don't think I could run a mile now.