Author Topic: Thrill rides???  (Read 3480 times)

chrisransom

Thrill rides???
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:26:18 pm »
I am an avid thrill ride rider - love'em.  Fast - right side up - right side down - sideways - round and round - up and down (especially down) and did I say fast?.  But I don't like spinning rides (never have - even when I was a kid).  I've bought season passes for my local amusement park for years and have taken an annual road trip to Cedar Point in Ohio for the last 3 years.  I am looking forword to the upcoming season. Being recently diagnosed and now maybe (maybe) noticing some balance probs - a momentary "rush" after turning my head or even moving my eyes side to side quickly.  I wonder if I may not be able to ride anymore.  Has anyone else had problems with amusement park rides (thrill or not)? 

Chris
Diagnosed with 21x16x16 mm AN in December 2010.  No change in June 2011 nor in January 2012.  No major symptoms - tinnitus, some fullness in left ear but no hearing loss or other symptoms.
Firmly in the W&W camp for now.

opp2

Re: Thrill rides???
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:47:16 pm »
You won't know til you try, and I say try try try!!!

I love thrill rides. We went to Florida the year that I was diagnosed and we went to Disney and to Olde Town and rode the coasters. I didn't have a problem.

Really, what's gonna happen? You may chuck (doubtful) but it was Sooooo worth it.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

chrisransom

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:45:56 pm »
Opp -

ohh, I will be going.  If it goes well, then great.  If not, then I guess I'll have blown the $200 on the season pass  (and blown something else if you know what I mean!)  I just hope it doesn't manifest at Cedar Point - that's a long way to be from home to learn that I can't ride.  Top Thrill Dragster - Maverick - Magnum - Millennium Force - wow! (Stay off Mean Streak though unless you're wearing a back brace!)
Diagnosed with 21x16x16 mm AN in December 2010.  No change in June 2011 nor in January 2012.  No major symptoms - tinnitus, some fullness in left ear but no hearing loss or other symptoms.

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:02:48 pm »
Hi Chris,
Can you tell us all about it when you go please?  We live too far from these sorts of things and I reckon hubby would chuck a fit if I asked to go anyway  :P
BUT..... living it through someone else's eyes would be good.

(¯`v´¯)
`•.¸.•´
¸.•´¸.•´¨) ¸.•¨)
(¸.•´               Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:03:04 pm »
I've been wondering about the same thing. As a postie I wasn't even able to watch 4th of july fireworks lat year without getting dizzy. Haven't braved a ride yet. Let us know how it goes!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

Keri

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 12:44:19 pm »
maybe it will enhance the experience?? we can hope!
i'm a total wimp when it comes to rides. can't handle that free falling kind of feeling, but it has nothing to do with my AN.

hope it works out and is lots of fun!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 12:46:00 pm »
I have never given it a second thought...before or after surgery!!  BRING 'EM ON BABY!!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 03:51:34 pm »
Chris ~

Glad you posed this question.  I'm going to take a guess and state that I think going on amusement park 'thrill rides' is going to depend on the individual's AN size and placement.  I went to DisneyWorld (Orlando, FL) two years after my AN debulking surgery and follow-up radiation (FSR).  I went on almost every ride they had, except the spinning rides, which, like you, I've never liked very much, even as a kid, back in the Stone Age.  This included a 'racetrack' ride, 'Space Mountain' and some other rides I've forgotten.  Never had a problem.  In fact, my wife, who accompanied me on (most) of the rides remarked that "you must really be fully recovered, now".  I was.   However, this was 2 years post-op/radiation and may not specifically apply to your situation.  Still, I think it indicates that 'thrill rides' are not necessarily off-limits to any AN patient.  As you noted, you'll find out soon enough when you go on your first ride - and I hope the result is positive.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chrisransom

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 08:30:18 pm »
Thanks, folks!  I should have a report sometime in mid to late May around here (MN). My buddy who got me hooked on these things is wondering if he'll be losing his ride mate.  I told him that I expect to keep going until I can't do it anymore - which I hope is about the time they put me in a box in 30-40 yrs!

Noe: Disney rides, though imaginative and a great entertainment experience, pale in comparison to Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH on the thrill factor.  These things are unreal!  Kaybo - if you're into that it's the place to go!  The lines can be a bit long though.

sunfish

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 08:00:17 am »
Two months after CK, I did a team "mummy wrap" contest.  You spin around as fast as you can, and your team wraps you in toilet paper.  First team to finish the roll(s) wins.  My team won!  They helped me spin as fast as I could, and said, "If you fall, we'll catch you, if you hurl, who cares!"  We won a bunch of gift cards for Pizza Hut!

I suffered no ill effects.

Had lots of balance problems last summer, and went on a two-week journey on board a sailboat in the open ocean.  Much to my delight, the motion of the ocean and my wonky headedness cancelled each other out!  So maybe you'll experience even less vertigo on the rides than you used to.  Let us know how it goes!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC