Author Topic: GK next week  (Read 3778 times)

melissac25

GK next week
« on: May 04, 2011, 04:19:27 pm »
I am having Gamma Knife next week by Dr. J.D. Day at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS).  I hear that he is awesome!  Can anyone share with me about the screws that hold the headpiece  in place?  How long will I have to keep it covered and does it leave a scar?

melissac25

Re: GK next week
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 04:20:14 pm »
By covered I mean the point of impact!!!!

rupert

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 05:20:37 pm »

Hello melissac25,

They are not really screws,  they are small pins.   The threaded part is inside the headframe.   They are tightened down evenly and the pins go into
the bone.   You will feel pressure,   but they numb the area of the pins and it doesn't hurt.    I had small bandaid strips in a cross pattern over the pin sights,
and was told to leave them for three days to help minimize any scaring.   The pin sights are very small.   They were noticeable for a few months, but I can not
even see where mine were now unless I use a magnifier.   Good luck.     Bryan

mk

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:48:20 pm »
The other thing that I would add is that cold compresses will help avoid swelling above the eyes. I didn't notice that advice on the booklet I was given, and indeed I got some slight swelling for a day or two, but it went away. I also had some pain at the pin site on and off, but ibuprofen took care of it easily.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Sefra22

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:50:21 pm »
Hi Melissa,

I didn't have a scars, but the sites in the back were sore for a few days. What really helped was alternating heat and cold packs.

Good Luck!
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

melissac25

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 07:40:53 pm »
Thanks!  How will I feel afterward?  My son has a baseball game that night.  Will I feel like going?  My 6th grade class is going on a field trip the next day to ride a riverboat.  Think I will sit that one out!!!!!
 ;D

rupert

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 05:50:25 pm »

Your body will tell you how much you are able to do.     I  personally took a few days off.   I was very tired for a while.  Maybe not  from the
procedure,  but coming down from the emotional roller coaster these AN's throw at  you and finally getting it treated.   Some people jump right back into things
but I figured I deserved a break.     I was more tired than normal for a few months, but never missed any work because of it and I feel like my energy is back to normal
now.    I was lucky in that I had no tumor swelling after my procedure and never had to go on steroids.   First post MRI showed same size,    second MRI  showed
slightly smaller with significant darkening in the center.   AN's are very vascular and the contrast dye makes them almost glow.   Darkening is what you like to see as
your post treatment extends.  The darkening means the blood supply and the tumor is dying.   Bryan

Sefra22

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 09:02:00 pm »
If you feel like going to the game after GK, I will think you are Wonder Woman ;D
It was a very long day for me, going into the hospital at 5am, and I don't think it was completely over until about 5pm. Then again, I had an MRI, CT scan, and a hearing test before the GK. I was absolutely exhausted, not to mention whatever drug they gave me to relax me was still in my system for a while.

Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 10:09:11 pm »
It is a long and stressful day, and there was no way on God's green earth that I could have done anything that day.  Then after the steroids kicked in, I could have played baseball...LOL. 

It might  depend on what they give you, med wise.  I was given atavan I think it was, and that is what messed me up. 

Best of luck to you!!!

Sue in Vancouver WA USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

melissac25

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 11:16:57 am »
Thanks everyone!  The time is getting closer!  It's not "Hammer time" ...it's GAMMA TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Phillies

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 06:42:15 pm »
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.