Author Topic: Hematoma/swelling of incision  (Read 4297 times)

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
Hematoma/swelling of incision
« on: June 17, 2011, 07:36:27 pm »
I am close to 3 weeks post op.  I initially had swelling all along the incision but at the top a very large area, one Dr. called it a hematoma.  That hematoma is still large and painful, don't think it changed much since the hospital, if it wasn't for this I would feel pretty good.  I just don't know when I should call the Dr if it doesn't go away.  Has anyone had this problem?  Thanks
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

ombrerose4

Re: Hematoma/swelling of incision
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:10:00 pm »
Hematoma's usually take time to heal- the blood gets reabsorbed by the tissues. But stay in touch with your doctors and if you are uncomfortable from it, either physically or emotionally, have the doctor see you to put yourself at ease and to determine what it actually is and what if anything needs to be done for it. It's always better to be safe then sorry. Peace of mind is most important:)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

kimbo

• We do not remember days....we remember moments.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:26:25 am »
Hi Rivergirl

Thanks for your post on "Kimbo's Update" it was nice to hear from you.  I am at 4-5 weeks post op and going OK.  I too have a major swelling under the suture line and it has grown about 50% since leaving hospital.  At my 1 month check up (another 5 hour trip each way) the doctor said that my swelling was due to a collection of excess brain fluid.  He said that sometimes after surgery the brain produces more CSF than needed and it has accumulated under the incision site.  He mentioned that it normally corrects itself over the next 2-3 months or so but I am to see him if it gets larger or I get a CSF leak.  My eye and mouth gave me some grief about 2 weeks post op but it is improving.  I have some headaches near where the swelling is and I still get tired.  I am really quite well considering and my balance is much improved since surgery.  I know it is a slow recovery but I am definitely making progress I only hope you are.  PM me if you have specific questions.

Kimbo :D
Diagn 8/8/08 AN right 13mm x 9mm
mod/severe hearing loss & tinnitus
Translab surgery 05/17/2011
SSD & CSF leak x 4
Aussie

Silver Sonnet

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 05:14:59 pm »
I just don't know when I should call the Dr if it doesn't go away.

The time to call the doctor is anytime you have a question!  Please don't hesitate to call; you must have had a good doctor to have had such a good outcome, and good doctors want to know when their patients have concerns.

Hope the doc has a simple solution for you and that you feel better soon.