Author Topic: I made it and things really could not be better!!  (Read 5393 times)

BostonBill

• Aside from tumor, picture of health, living dream
I made it and things really could not be better!!
« on: June 20, 2011, 05:10:42 am »
Good morning all!
My 10 hour surgery was performed last Wednesday, MGH Dr Barker & Lee. I left the hospital Friday at 1pm!! Tumor ended up being slightly over 2cm. Staff at MGH was great.
It was a very sticky tumor. The hearing nerve was destroyed during the initial drilling and entry. Dr Barker extrated the 1st half and Dr Lee the 2nd. So SSD (left), bad metallic taste for almost all foods and drinks and very stiff in the surgery area. Have been on Percs during the day, 2 every 5 hours going to try 1 starting today, 1 Valium at night.
Walked outside both Saturday and Sunday, Sunday about 1 mile. Will look to increase today. Definitely holding back on all other activities as I do not want to screw this up! PT Wednesday.
Thanks for all the prayers as I truly believe it was a combination of my current health (aside from tumor) and all the prayers!!!!

Oh yeah, WE WON THE CUP!! WE WON THE CUP!!! I have not seen the game yet  >:( But it is on the NHL network this week.
Diagnosed Dec 21, 2010, 1.75 x 1.75cm plan is for retrosigmoid removal scheduled for June 15th at MGH by Dr Barker & Dr Lee. Putting off so I may enjoy my sons senior year varsity hockey, lacrosse seasons and graduation. That and our annual trip to Cancun in May.

Desilu

Re: I made it and things really could not be better!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 06:02:33 am »
Hi BostonBIll,

Most of what you are experiencing is normal for such a long surgery. Walking is really good for you and helps your body adjust. But don't over do it. Your body will let you know. So glad to hear that things went well for you. I will keep you and all AN patients in my prayers and wish you a happy and healthy recovery! Ann (Congrats on the Stanley Cup!)
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 06:06:14 am »
Welcome back postie!

Glad things went well for you  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 02:30:28 pm »
Hi, Bill ~

Congratulations on having a successful AN surgery.  Another 'rapid release' (from the hospital)...good job!  Some easy walking is usually good for recovery but I think you're cognizant of the dangers of 'overdoing it' so soon.  Like you, I believe in the power of prayer and I'm pleased that you give them credit, along with your good state of pre-op health.  Now, welcome to 'Postie-Land'!

Jim    
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cameragal

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 03:20:37 pm »
That is wonderful.  I did well with surgery on Fri and out on Sun. But no 1 mile walk for me yet.  Prayers that you will continue to heal on an unbumpy trail.

RichB57

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 09:44:26 am »
Welcome back Bill.  Sorry about the hearing, but glad everything else went well.  Boy, you got out of the hospital in about the same time as it took me to get out of the ICU!  I've got some metallic taste of the right side of my tongue (the AN side) but if I try to chew on my left, it's not as bad.   I take it you're not using a walker if you're going a mile.  Sounds like you made out great in the balance department.  I've found I can push the walking, but anything much more strenuous (even now at 8 weeks post op) is a no-no.  Your head will let you know pretty quickly when to stop. 

Even though you know the outcome, the game will still be fun to watch.  It was a great game.  Enjoy!
Diagnosed 12/1/2010, 12.3 mm x 15.2 mm x 15.2 mm, retrosigmoid removal by Drs. Barker & Lee at MGH on April 20, 2011. Lost blood supply to auditory nerve, so SSD. Facial paralysis.

Seal

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 07:05:18 pm »
Nice work Bill!!!   I had Barker work on me for 9.5 hours two years ago, and he is very persistent, not to mention a great surgeon.     I also was out the door in 48 hours after the surgery; they must be doing something very right up at MGH !!  Good luck on the recovery this summer, and let your body tell you when its ready to push things.    I saw improvements even past 12 months which at the moment seems long, but now it's just a blink of the eye.   Good Luck!!!
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

cin605

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 09:49:06 am »
Great NewS!
and yes...We won the cup,We won the cup...woootwwoot
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

BostonBill

• Aside from tumor, picture of health, living dream
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 06:50:19 am »
Good morning,
Yes the walking is going well.
The Doctors stated they found considerable damage to the nerve and I very likely began compensating some time ago.
I definitely have the wonky head, soreness in the surgery area and have little balance on unstable areas or with my eyes closed.
Otherwise all is good!
I hope this provides encouragement and helps others!!!  :-*
Be well,
Bill
Diagnosed Dec 21, 2010, 1.75 x 1.75cm plan is for retrosigmoid removal scheduled for June 15th at MGH by Dr Barker & Dr Lee. Putting off so I may enjoy my sons senior year varsity hockey, lacrosse seasons and graduation. That and our annual trip to Cancun in May.

Desilu

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 03:30:59 pm »
Hi Bill,

Glad to hear that the recovery is going well. Keep up the walking, it will help. All of your symptoms will get better in time. You have a great attitude which will help in the healing process. Positive out comes after surgery are always "Great News" to hear. I wish you continued success on your recovery. Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

moe

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 10:18:08 am »
Bill,
congratulations on your successful surgery! Love to hear those positive stories. Take it easy now, and watch the bending over so you don't get headaches, Keep walking :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

kenneth_k

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 01:21:21 am »
Hi Bill.

Sounds like you're doing just fine. A great idea to continue posting positive progress.

Kenneth

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 10:10:45 am »
Wow, you sound better than me and I am 3 weeks post op.  I have no energy have to force myself to do everything.  I have increase pain and the swelling along the incision has not abated. I am in my fiftes so I attribute my slowness to my age.  MGH was great, the nurses and aides were amazing, thankfully they got me moving when I didn't want to.........I could use them now...lol  Glad you are doing so good, the walking is best and sounds like you conquered that.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

LisaP

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 01:14:05 pm »
Hi Bill,
Congrats sounds like you are doing well,  Cindy, hang in there, things have got to get better.

LisaP
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 07:33:19 pm »
Wondering how your are doing Boston Bill?
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!