Author Topic: Possible screw removal?  (Read 8210 times)

ombrerose4

Possible screw removal?
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:54:33 am »
I have had a lump on the back of my head located between the area of my AN retrosigmoid scar and my Baha. I have asked my doctors about it several times- as to what they think it might be and what to do about it. Their answer was leave it alone until it becomes a focal point of pain. Well it's not a focal point but if it is unknowingly touched by my physical therapist, or by my hairdresser, or if I lay a certain way it is extremely painful. At the symposium this weekend I spoke to both Dr. Tew and Dr. Niparko. They both felt it was a screw and they both said "Get it out".  I've often wondered if this lump was a trigger point for all my various headache issues. Dr. Niparko said it was a possibility and that from his experience the pain in the area will get worse as I age. So I contacted my neurotologist and he wants to send me for a CT with a marker on the spot before he attempts any removal. Hoping to get the scan done next week and will let you know what they found.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Possible screw removal?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 10:57:47 am »
I had a bump next to my BAHA and it caused no pain, but it bothered me that it was there. It was between my BAHA and my translab incision. Turned out, it was a stitch that did not dissolve and finally worked its way the the surface almost a year following my surgery. Hopefully you may be lucky enough that yours is the same.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 01:42:44 pm »
Lauren ~

Jan ('leapyrtwins') had a skull screw loosen and she had it removed, so it does happen.  As I recall her post, it was a simple procedure.  However, I think your doctor is prudent in ordering a 'targeted' CT scan before doing anything. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 10:46:08 pm »
Just had to comment because my 11 yr. old was asking more questions about my head & surgery today (because we were discussing a broken bone on my other sons foot).  ANyways, he asked if I had screws in my head holding parts of it together  ;)   I explained to him how mine (from Middle Fossa) does have the bone put back in and some screws with titanium mesh pieces holding it in place.   He asked if the screws can come out.....I said rarely, but I HAVE read where it happened.   Well, the funny part is when he said "Gee, not only would you have rocks in your head, but you would also have some screws loose up there"  Yep, he was being sarcastic, but made me giggle!

I know of one person who did have a screw come loose later and it was causing some problems...until she got it out!   Good thing your dr. is going to check it out!!
W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 06:09:24 am »
Apparently it is not very unusual for stitches to work their way out to the surface ...... but screws coming loose have to be somewhat unusual.  So glad your doctor is taking you seriously and finding out for sure before digging around again.

Many thoughts and prayers and let us know what you find out!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 03:20:12 pm »
Jim's right.  I did have a screw removed.  One of the ones from my AN surgery was interferring with my BAHA site. 

My doc didn't order a CAT scan - it was totally obvious what it was and he had told me at the time of my implant that it might "pop through" the surface of my skin.

Removal was done outpatient - with a screwdriver - only because he wouldn't let me do it in his office (not a sterile environment). 

I posted a thread on the Forum along with a picture of the tiny screw; which I still have.  The thread is somewhere here if you want to search for it.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 10:16:59 pm »
Oh no.   I didn't know about this when I saw you.  I guess you went back to Mt Sinai, your original docs.  Keep taking your temp. and I'll wait to hear from you about your screw.   Good luck this week!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

ombrerose4

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 12:00:55 pm »
Went for my CT scan today and hope to have an answer on Thursday. Will let you know what doc says:)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Mei Mei

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:47:40 pm »
I'll be here watching and waiting as they say.   Let us know as soon as you hear.   Will try to make the meeting on the 16th.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

ombrerose4

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 08:48:45 pm »
Well, I spoke to my doctor today and he said it's not a screw. He's not exactly sure but he does see some kind of protrusion. He thinks it may be from the artificial bone they put in. He wants me to have a MRI (which I'm due for my 2 yr anyway) and then to come in to see him. He said they may need to go in and remold the area. So, another test coming up, another adventure to be had:)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 02:46:31 am »
Oh what fun, eh? :)  If that were me, I'd just say that bone coming up like that was because of too much brain in there, and being squeeze out.  ;D  Seriously though, I hope you get an easy solution to your problem. Let us know how it goes!! Take care!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 06:56:29 am »
Oh Lauren .....

Just the kind of adventure no one wants!  Sure hope the MRI will give needed answers at this point.  When do you go for the MRI?

Many thoughts and prayers!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Mei Mei

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 07:05:50 pm »
 ???  Dear Lauren,
This is really difficult for you knowing you have some complication just when you wanted simplicity.  Ugh!  Life's just not fair.   I wish it could have been simpler for you.  I'll keep watching for your news...hoping it is simple news.
Hugs,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

ombrerose4

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 10:01:00 am »
Had MRI Friday morning, waiting for results......
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Mei Mei

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 02:15:29 pm »
Go over to the office and pick up the radiology report in person if you have time.   The waiting  game is so awful!
Hugs,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo