Author Topic: eye drops  (Read 2465 times)

Karen

eye drops
« on: July 17, 2006, 08:00:51 pm »
For thoses of you with a numb cornea how can you tell when you need to put eye     drops in during the day?  I am using eye drop gel about every two hours or so.  Should I try longer?  How can I tell when it is getting dry before its too late? 
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

Static

Re: eye drops
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 08:14:49 pm »
I don't think you can tell.  At least, after my surgery when I was using drops, I was told by the doctor to use the drops no matter what because if my eye dries out it becomes very painful.  After I had been home for quite a while and was feeling like crap, I just stopped because I forgot to use them and I was ok.  My eye still doesn't tear and it is heavier than the other, but I seem to have enough liquid in there without needing drops anyway.  Good luck to ya!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Rc Moser

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:31:51 pm »
Hi Karen,  our operations was about the same time. My eye feels like needles are sticking it when my eye starts to dry out. Luckily my eye almost keeps up until I get in wind, heat, or cold. I use the refresh celluvisc drops, and rearly have to use the eye grease at night. My eye don't blink as much as the good one, so I got to remember to tell it to.  A few months after my operation I had to drop a drop or two about every half hour. Slowly my 8th nerve got better and only a few days a week I have to use the drops now. Sorry to hear you 8th nerve is not working too much yet. I still have no lift on my left side, Can't smile :-\, but everything else is working some. I'm coming up on three  years and I figure I will never have any lift on my left side. Headaches are my biggest problem at the moment. Do you have headaches?
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Jeanlea

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 09:40:05 pm »
Hi Karen,

I allso have a numb cornea.  I was putting in liquigel every 1-2 hours, but now that it's summer and very humid I can go longer.  I add another drop every 4-5 hours.  Maybe I could go longer, but I'm afraid of letting my eye dry out.  I keep checking my eye for signs of redness and seeing if it has a glossy look from the liquigel.  I also add a little bit of PM Moisture Eyes at night.  My eye doctor thought that was a good idea.  I make no tears of my own and cannot blink automatically.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD