Author Topic: How visible is the BAHA abutment when not wearing BAHA?  (Read 3545 times)

Phillies

How visible is the BAHA abutment when not wearing BAHA?
« on: November 09, 2011, 01:20:48 pm »
One of the reasons I have been hesitant to look at the BAHA is the abutment. I like the idea of being able to take off the hearing device and not have any visible evidence that I wear a hearing device. And I have short hair too which doesn't help :(

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: How visible is the BAHA abutment when not wearing BAHA?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 08:09:57 pm »
I am a woman, but my abutment is totally hidden by my hair when I take off the processor.  If I were a man with short hair, it might show a little bit.  My husband just measured the top of my abutment and he says it is 5/16 of an inch in diameter (titanium so silver in color).

I guess my question would be why you would want to take off the processor if you were with other people you wanted to hear?  I put mine on in the morning, right after I shower, wash my hair, and dry it ...... and leave it on until just before I go to bed.  Just curious.

Clarice
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 08:21:12 am by CHD63 »
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Phillies

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 09:28:39 pm »
With my job it might be better if I could have no visible signs of a hearing issue if needed....

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:30:48 pm »
I keep my hair fairly short, and while everything is still fresh around that site (less than 6 months since I got it all put in) you can barely see it.  I image after a while it'll be even more concealed. The abutment is usually placed so that it's almost flush with the scalp, they scoop out the area a bit when they put it in so it sits in a depression.
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:40:21 am »
My hair is like a military hair cut. Right after a hair cut the abutment is visible. After about 2 weeks, it is not.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:50:53 am »
I have long hair so my abutments are not shown.  Just tell them that's your bullet that got stuck in your head and the BAHA is your homing device.  Better yet, tell them that you got assimilated by the Borg!  ;D ;D
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 05:28:16 pm »
It's usually not - even for most men; unless you are completely bald or your hair is very thin.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways