Author Topic: AN Diagnosis???  (Read 3302 times)

jenklear

AN Diagnosis???
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:29:44 pm »
It's been 4 weeks since my first ENT appointment. This was brought on by severe vertigo, troubles driving, insane headaches, hearing loss, tinnitus, and come and go facial paralysis. My ENT scheduled a VNG/ENG test. I don't know the results of those yet. And I had a non-contrast/ contrast MRI on Friday. I called this morning to get results because I couldn't stand it anymore. Thinking they were going to tell me everything was normal, I was disappointed when they told me that they can't give me my MRI results and the doctor wants to see me tomorrow to go over them with me. My appt. is at 5:45 and the office closes at 4:30??? A little weird. Anyway...I'm scared...my intuition tells me that it is AN diagnosis.  :-[   Someone give me a spark of hope before tomorrow...please!!!

kraynok2

Re: AN Diagnosis???
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 09:27:30 pm »
Good luck tomorrow.  I hope it is not an an, but if it is, it won't be the end of the world.  My 1 year anniversary of my surgery will be on Wednesday.  It is shocking to hear at first, but I thought here was a foreign thing in my head that did not belong and I just wanted to get it out of there.  You have come to a great place for information and support.  We will be here for you.
Sandy

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:38:28 am »
Hi jenklear .....

Most of us can identify with your anxiety awaiting diagnosis.  As Sandy said, we hope it is not an AN, but if it is (or even if it isn't), we are here to stand by you and support you in any way we can.

Many thoughts and prayers.  Let us know what you find out this afternoon.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 04:17:39 pm »
Jenklear ~

I'm sorry to learn of your stress and anxiety about your MRI scan.  Like everyone else that has posted, I certainly hope that the MRI didn't discover an acoustic neuroma.  However, even if it did, these are almost always benign tumors and although they can cause a lot of problems, they are treatable with surgery and/or radiation (I had both). Perhaps your doctor didn't have time to fit you in his regular schedule and wants to see you without making you wait days for an appointment.

For what it's worth: when my PCP received the MRI findings (a 4.5 cm AN) he called me at 7:00 PM with the news and immediately referred me to a local neurosurgeon.  The point being that he was very anxious to tell me the (bad) news and get me to a doctor that could do something about it.  That your doctor doesn't seem all that anxious to see you (the after-hours appointment) could be a good thing.  I'm just saying.  Whatever happens, we'll be here for you.  Please keep us updated.  Thanks.

Jim        
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.