Author Topic: Abomin Fat? Explain  (Read 1937 times)

stephSF

• Live each day to the fullest.
Abomin Fat? Explain
« on: November 20, 2011, 11:29:16 pm »
I am doing reading.  But what I don't understand is do they put the skull bone back on over the fat or do you have a soft spot there...I will grow from this experience....truly.
dx 11-17-11 with 1.6 cm AN..
Stephanie
1.6 cm AN Translab with Dr.'s Friedman and Shwartz with HEI on 1-25-2012.  I am doing great!  Surgery saved my life :).   Be brave, have a great attitude, and hire the best surgical team!!!!

Lynn Mc

Re: Abomin Fat? Explain
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 06:13:40 am »
Good Morning Stephanie,
They used the fat to fill in the indent from the surgery.  They did not cover it with mesh or bone in my surgery.  So there is a small indent where the bone was removed.  Good luck on your journey.
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

Cheryl R

Re: Abomin Fat? Explain
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:03:56 am »
Stephanie,    Each dr seems to have their own protocol on how they treat ANs.     Mine puts fat in for translab but uses some temporal muscle from in the head for mid fossa.      He does put the bone back but you still might get some indentation.          Mine also does not send a person home on oral steroids unless have had some type of problem.       Each person varies with how much pain they have after the surgery, if dizzy or not depending on how the body adjusted before.    Dizzy and off balance feel are 2 different things too.      We call it wonky head here for the off balance feel and it also can vary in each person.     The head feel light headed or or like took cold medicine or just a funny feel.            Some people have vestibular therapy to help this or some just keep being active as you are able and walk as much as you can but not over do.    The brain has to heal and doing too much doesn't help.   
         We are here to help and we understand how one can feel thru this.            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care