Author Topic: Dr. Chang at Stanford  (Read 4029 times)

lalala80

Dr. Chang at Stanford
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:17:36 am »
What are people's experiences with Dr. Chang at Stanford?  Did you like him?  I sent a lot of people my MRI data and he was one of them.  His nurse I guess called me and immediately wanted to schedule the CK procedure, I was kind of like whoa, whoa, I am still kind of gathering information and deciding what to do.  It just weirded me out that she wanted to jump the gun so quick.  I was almost 90% set on doing the CK at Stanford, but when I said I wanted to wait, she got almost huffy and kind of brushed me off.  What are other's experiences with Dr. Chang?  Does he seem to dismiss you if you are just gathering information and might not want to get the CK procedure done there?  Any info would be great.

Tisha

Re: Dr. Chang at Stanford
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:51:35 am »
Please remember, you were dealing with the scheduler, not Dr. Chang.   I also sent my MRI to several around the country.  Dr. Chang called me personally, was very polite and informative with no pressure at all.  He answered all of my questions.  He is so kind, don't dismiss him because of the rudeness of the front line personnel.  Many of us here went to him, especially since that is where the CK machine was developed and they have the most experience and provide so any research papers. 

It is a well run program.  Dr. Chang continued to answer all my questions by phone and email promptly, and never ever seemed put out...even though I'm sure the questions are asked consistently. 

If I were you, I would put together a list of questions and email him and tell him you would like to speak with him.  I liked the fact that he not only performs CK, but also surgery.  He does 50-50 as far as the AN's, so I know he is not pushing just for one.   The experience there was easy-peasy, you will be in good hands.  I know others  here will agree and give you there opinions.

Good luck...deciding is such a hard part.  Also....it's in Palo Alto...I called it my AN vacation.  I was only in the hospital 10 hours max that week (wait, prep, actually CK).  The rest of the time we toured SF, Monterey, Sausilito, Muir Woods, having wine on University Blvd.  It was a wonderful week with DH and no kids.  You can still drink while having CK!  I wore my Stanford T-shirt walking yesterday.  I've had people ask me if I've been to Stanford and of course I have to say, "I DESERVE to wear this T-shirt"!
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 12:26:04 pm »
Everything I've ever heard about Dr. Chang - and I've heard a lot - points to him being an incredible doctor who really knows his stuff.

He's got an excellent reputation and he's one of the premier CK docs out there who treat ANs.

Don't let a doc's office staff reflect poorly upon the doc.  Lots of patients hesitate to complain about office staff, so oftentimes docs can be oblivious when it comes to problems.  I've always found with my own docs that when I have an issue I take to them personally it's resolved professionally and swiftly.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 02:52:13 pm »
Hi;

Dr. Chang has a great reputation! Pts. like him and the Tx results also.

cindyj

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 03:59:10 pm »
Yep, same here...heard nothing but good things about Dr. Chang.  You can search here on the forum under his name and should find quite a few conversations about him.  Know there have been a couple of people just out there having treatment done with him.

Best to you,

cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

ash

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »
I am deaf in my left ear and have a an in my right. It has grown to 8X4X4 mm and my physician says it is time to nuke it because it is growing faster. Cyberknife I read has the best chance to preserve your hearing and I feel I need to find the best to perform it. Everything I have found is that Dr. Chang is it. I have not emailed him yet but will soon. I live in New Jersey and hope there would not be a problem with insurance if I chose him. Please keep me updated with your experiences with Dr. Chang.

Thanks
Born deaf in left ear, Diagnosed AN in right ear 2/1/ 2010 4 x 3 x 2mm; 8/1/2010 4 x 3 x 4mm; 9/1/2011 6 x 4 x 4 mm; 3/1/2012 8 x 4 x 4mm; Recommendations: U of Penn-GK; Stanford-CK; NY-CK; Cooper-Novalis; Pittsburgh-GK; HEI- still waiting ; Treatment: Stanford-CK 5/10/2012 (Dr. Chang, Dr. Soltys)

Tumbleweed

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 12:26:53 pm »
Just now saw this thread.

Dr. Chang is the best doctor I could possibly imagine. A worldclass expert at what he does and completely dedicated to his patients.

I am surprised that you had a bad experience with one of the schedulers, because everyone I've met at Stanford was very polite and not at all pushy. But everyone has a bad day occasionally. Don't let it deter you from seeking out Dr. Chang. He is an amazing doctor and person.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 06:32:52 pm »
Hi,

Although I had Cyberknife treatment near home, I did send my MRI to Dr Chang and consulted with him. I was most impressed and believe he is a remarkable physician. Because of my situation at home and the fact we have an Acoustic Neuroma Center here at Barrow in Phoenix, I chose to stay here. But it was a difficult choice.

Mary  8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK