Author Topic: Do you have TMJ Disorder?  (Read 2498 times)

sunfish

Do you have TMJ Disorder?
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:58:50 pm »
Hmmm . . . where to put this?  Here in Post-Treatment? In Facial Issues? Has anyone had TMJ problems since their diagnosis and treatment?

I had TMJ (jaw) pain on my left (non-AN) side in 2008, which was treated with muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories.  In May 2008, I wrecked my racing bicycle and got a head injury to the right (AN) side.  This definitely took care of the TMJ on the other side :o

Diagnosed with AN/treated with CK in March 2010.  Now in January 2010 the TMJ problem is back.  Jaw tends to lock up a bit, lots of clicking, grinding, popping when I move jaw.  Very sore, and then this week I started having shooting, nerve type pain (trigeminal neuralgia?).  Primary care doc prescribed flexeril, which worked before.  I didn't take much of it in Jan. because it caused problems with my already wonky balance and head.  I've slowly adjusted to it, and take it each night now.  With no results.  Dentist said yesterday that he sees no signs of bruxism or grinding teeth at night, and hubby hasn't noticed that I do.  Dentist is referring me to orthodontist who may have some knowledge of TMJ disorder.  Dentist thinks I might have imbalance in my jaw muscles due to AN, which might cause this.  Do any of you have TMJ disorder?  How does your AN and/or treatment affect this?
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

sunfish

Re: Do you have TMJ Disorder?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 01:39:34 pm »
OK, so I'm bumping my own post back up to the top.  Didn't get any takers, but I did find a previous thread from last year about TMJ.

Went to orthodontist this week, who agreed with dentist that my jaw muscles are out of balance.  I guess most folks with this disorder grind their teeth at night, but both docs said I have no signs of this type of wear.  I suppose this imbalance could be for any reason, but I'm guessing it's my benign-but-not-so-friendly AN, once again.  Did impressions for a mouth guard to wear, which they say will coax everything back into alignment.
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 08:21:53 am »
OK, so I'm bumping my own post back up to the top.  Didn't get any takers, but I did find a previous thread from last year about TMJ.

Went to orthodontist this week, who agreed with dentist that my jaw muscles are out of balance.  I guess most folks with this disorder grind their teeth at night, but both docs said I have no signs of this type of wear.  I suppose this imbalance could be for any reason, but I'm guessing it's my benign-but-not-so-friendly AN, once again.  Did impressions for a mouth guard to wear, which they say will coax everything back into alignment.

My daughter has TMJ and does not have an AN whereas I have the AN...so who really knows why people get what they do you definitely can go crazy thinking about how and why I know I have!...

Best Wishes,
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

westcoastroller

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:21:27 pm »
I have TMJ on my AN side, and my dentist says I have signs of grinding my teeth.  I have a mouth guard to wear at night but don't wear it as I am alergic to plastics.  Luck thought the TMJ pain is mild and comes and goes. 
1.3 cm rs diagnosed Feb 23, 2012