Author Topic: Driving?  (Read 6381 times)

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
Driving?
« on: August 06, 2006, 05:51:48 am »
Got to ask. Has NF2 caused problems with anyones driving? I'm hoping to start learning to drive again soon. I started lesson when i was 16 but stopped when i was 20 because of money problems then i was diagnosed with NF2 just 10 days before my 21st birthday I'm now 24 and haven't driven a car since i gave up my lessons. I'm worried that NF2 will affect my driving. The balance has gone on the right side when i had the 1st AN operation. Waiting to have another AN removed from the left side. I've had other tumors removed they cause no problems.
NF2 diagnosed in October 2002.
5 operations since Jan 2004.One was an emergancy tumor removal.

Rc Moser

Re: Driving?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 07:23:04 am »
Driving even bothers me after almost three years of a single side an. If I move my head too quickly sometimes it makes me dizzy. I also get motion sickness real easy. The buzz in my an side (no Ear) get really loud in a car going over 40 mph.  Some days this along will start a migraine. I could not imagine what you must be going through. I also notice I cannot tell which way noise is coming from and I usually go the wrong direction every time. A good example is the dog barking on on side of the house I can hear the dog barking, but go to the wrong side 90% of the time. I guess I need to go to the opposite side where I think the noise is coming form. Somebody posted an report and history of AN's a few weeks ago, I wish I could of rememberd his name. 
http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut/laa/kliin/vk/levo/vestibul.pdf.     A lot of good information in this report for us that suffer side effect's. I found it very interesting.  This report also explains the three different approaches (bilateral subocciptal, Translabyrinthine (translab), and middle cranial Fossa) they use to operate on AN's. It also has information on NF2 and sudden hearing loss.
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 12:14:32 pm »
I just read the article (referred to in RC's post) and found it very interesting and enlightening.  I don't drive at night anymore.  The bright lights cause panic attacks, which I never had before.  I have gotten stopped by my town police and had to take the sobriety test more than once.  I cannot walk the straight line, but fortunately passed the breathalizer!  Most people on the road in the daytime probably wish I wouldn't drive then either! :D  Everyone is different and maybe because you are young, you will do okay with it.  I would say, take the course and stay the course.  Don't give up on a dream or a necessity!
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jeff

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 01:17:10 pm »
Hello,

I have NF2 and have little problems driving. I do have trouble at night becuase it is hard to focus and judge distances. I live in a small town and rarely drive anywhere else at night so the familiar setting is very helpful. My father has NF2 and has had no trouble driving. He is very good at noticing what is happening around him. He has pulled over to allow ambulances to pass before I could hear the siren. My brother also has NF2 and has a lot of difficulty driving, owing to the effects of his last surgery. I think that the term is cerebellar ataxia. He has had a great deal of trouble controlling the right side of his body, and still has difficulty controlling the gas pedal stisfactorily. He is, however, slowly improving. I say go for it; do every thing that you can do. It can't hurt to try.

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 02:06:58 pm »
Thank you everyone for you kind replies. I will have ago to see how i do. My fiance is going to learn to drive so i know if i can't it won't matter much.

Taylor

• Ra Ha Ha
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 07:47:43 pm »
I just started driving again about 3 weeks ago. I have to use a "spinner knob" on my steering wheel to turn... but it's working out for me.
Taylor
Translab/4.8 cm AN on right side removed 2/3/06
St. Louis Children's Hospital (next to Barnes-Jewish)/ Jeffery Leonard - Neurosurgeon
Cross-facial nerve graft with muscle transplant
Bad coordination on right side - constant pins-and-needles sensation on left side
21 years-old
Illinois

tony

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 01:21:37 pm »
I am NF2 and do drive - I am more careful than I was for two good reasons
1) I would rather not find out how good the surgery cement was, the hard way ?
and 2) Once the insurance company works out I am not so good
- they will surely hike the costs !
Its a good idea to keep your head down (insurance - claim wise)
for a few years (get the little carpark shunts fixed yourself etc)
More seriously though your "general" state of balance
- good-bad or average is a good indicator as to readiness to drive.
best regards
Tony

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 07:08:42 am »
Thank you everyone for your replies. I don't want to drive a manual. I will be going for an automatic. I i can drive a manual but that was all before i lost my hearing and got diagnosed with NF2. I can't hear the engine apart from my ABI, but an abi is just signals to the brain not sound, so i can't hear when the gears need changing like i used to. Also using the clutch hurt my back before i had the tumors removed from my spinal cord, and i still get pain in my back.Looking forward to driving as i've wanted to do it since i left school.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 07:25:12 am »
RattieLady,
  Good luck with your driving, you'll feel good if you can get back to that.  If you don't have a car with automatic,  and you have to use a manual transmission, you may be able to to tell when it's time to shift by using a tachometer to tell how fast the engine is spinning ( thay can be added if your car doesn't have one- check the custom car shops), or you may be able to feel trhe vibration of the engine as a gauge to engine speed.
Taylor,
  The spinner knobs used to be a hot custom addition to a car for the bad boys in the 1950s and 1960s.  They called them suicide knobs- probably because seat belts weren't installed on most cars at that time.  Glad to hear that you're back on the road.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 02:09:23 pm »
RattieLady:

I was given the O.K. to drive (by my neurosurgeon) 4 weeks after my AN surgery.  Of course, I had a rapid recovery and have been driving for well over 40 years so my experience may not compare to your situation.  I also didn't plan on taking any long road trips. 

I would suggest you consult your physician - and, if he/she agrees - at least try driving lessons.  You'll know pretty quickly if driving is feasible for you - or not.  I do find that my 'one-sided hearing' is a slight handicap in driving (when I hear a siren I can't tell if it's behind me or coming toward me) but other than that, I have no real problem.   You may not either - but you won't know if you don't try. 

Let us know what you decide and if you try driving lessons, how they work out .
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Brendalu

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 06:16:45 am »
Jim,
My husband installed a radar detector.  I don't have a clue where anything is coming from, but the lights(from the detector) flashing at me tell to pull over more quickly than seeing an emergency vehicle almost side swipe me because I had no clue it was close or even coming in my direction.  Only problem is that the darn thing loves drive through fast food resturants.  Goes off whenever we are near one!!!  Could cause major weight gain. :o
BrendaO
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

tony

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 07:14:33 am »
Oh I see - its a PIZZA detector as well ?
Best regards
Tony

RattieLady

• Ourplaceourspace
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 09:35:16 am »
RattieLady:

I was given the O.K. to drive (by my neurosurgeon) 4 weeks after my AN surgery.  Of course, I had a rapid recovery and have been driving for well over 40 years so my experience may not compare to your situation.  I also didn't plan on taking any long road trips. 

I would suggest you consult your physician - and, if he/she agrees - at least try driving lessons.  You'll know pretty quickly if driving is feasible for you - or not.  I do find that my 'one-sided hearing' is a slight handicap in driving (when I hear a siren I can't tell if it's behind me or coming toward me) but other than that, I have no real problem.   You may not either - but you won't know if you don't try. 

Let us know what you decide and if you try driving lessons, how they work out .
I'm going to see my NF2 consultant on the 22nd so i'll ask him about driving on top of all the other things. Hope he's not busy that day. ;D

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 04:30:36 pm »
When I have to go do errands like bank, grocery, art supplies, I try to limit my errands to three--four if I really have to.  I also make a "map" of where I'm going that does not include left turns unless they are at a light with an arrow. If the grocery happens to be first because of it's location, I have them double wrap the refridgerator items. I take water and a phone. I totally cannot handle an interstate unless it's reaqlly uncrowded (where I live, the closest interstate is an hour away!) No night driving at all. Driving is a big deal for those of us with vestibular problems resulting from surgery. That's why I'd rather be sailing!
Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 06:59:16 am »
Tony,

Yes a pizza detector as well as KFC, MCD's, Long John Silver's, Taco Bell..........unfortunately all of them.  My three year grandson loves it!  He says is it the police or french fries?????????????
 ::)Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT