Author Topic: Eating while at Seton  (Read 7851 times)

LizAN

Eating while at Seton
« on: May 14, 2012, 10:37:12 pm »
I found out today that the kitchen facilities at Seton consist of a fridge in the private room, and a microwave and toaster oven in the communal kitchen.  This is a bit problematic for me, since I have numerous (20+) food sensitivities and can't eat out without weakening my health.  I certainly don't want to do much of that while I am recovering from surgery.

For those of you who stayed at Seton post-surgery, what did you do about eating?

Liz
8/20/2010 - 9mm AN on left side 
Fullness, tinnitus, mild hearing loss
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm
Moderate to severe hearing loss, LOUD tinnitus, deteriorating balance
Facial numbness and twitching, which subsided pre-surgery
Translab at House, 7/3/2012, Slattery and Schwartz

mindyandy

• Loving Life
Re: Eating while at Seton
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:40:23 am »
I don't have any food allergies...not to my knowledge at least. I at out a few times and St Vincent has a cafeteria where you can bring food back to your room. This is what I did.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:04:12 am »
We basically did the same as Mindy.  Although we bought several things from Trader Joe's that we could fix/cook with the microwave and toaster oven.  There is a big communal refrigerator in the kitchen where you just mark your things and we had no problem storing what we needed between the two places.

There is a Ralph's Market close by also, if your family has a car there.

Post-op I really needed/wanted the exercise so we usually walked to the hospital cafeteria once a day.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:07:26 am »
We also walked over from Seton Hall to the St. Vincent's cafeteria. For institutional food, it was pretty decent, with a reasonable selection and, as I recall, a nice salad bar.

You might want to check with the cafeteria supervisor to see if they could accommodate your food allergies.

Best wishes as your surgergy date approaches. You will be in superb hands.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

LizAN

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:17:55 pm »
Hmm, having to eat cafeteria food for a couple of weeks is something I would not otherwise risk.  Certain foods cause me to have autoimmune problems.  My partner pointed out that if I'm dosed up on steroids, maybe inflammation won't be much of a concern.

For those who went to HEI, how long were you on steroids after the procedure?  Were you still on them when you went home?

Thanks,
Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 06:32:59 am »
I was on steroids for a total of 10 days post-op so finished before arriving home.  At least the last five days were tapering down, not sure the routine the first five days when I was in the hospital.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:27:23 am »
Everyone's responses were pretty much spot on with my own experiences as Seton Hall, but I just wanted to add that it might be a good idea to contact your doctor/nurses and make sure they know your dietary concerns and ask what you can do about it, especially post op. 
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

LizAN

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 09:31:29 am »
I was on steroids for a total of 10 days post-op so finished before arriving home.  At least the last five days were tapering down, not sure the routine the first five days when I was in the hospital.

Clarice

Thanks, Clarice,

That's another concern - the tapering down.  My ENT gave me steroids prior to my first MRI. The tapering was not pretty.

Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

LizAN

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 09:32:21 am »
Everyone's responses were pretty much spot on with my own experiences as Seton Hall, but I just wanted to add that it might be a good idea to contact your doctor/nurses and make sure they know your dietary concerns and ask what you can do about it, especially post op. 
Jay

Good idea, Jay.  Thanks.
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

LizAN

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 06:05:12 pm »
Maybe it's just an excuse to eat whatever I want for a week  >:D, but I'm getting more comfortable with the idea of eating at the hospital cafeteria for the first few days after I get out of the hospital, while I'm still on steroids.

What kind of food do they serve, at what kind of cost?  I need to budget.

Thanks,
Liz
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

OTO

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 05:38:50 pm »
We mostly ate at the hospital cafeteria.   If I remember correctly you have the most choice at lunch: short order grill; pre-packaged sandwiches or sandwich bar; or entree choices with side orders.  However, lunch is the busiest time of the day.  Dinner might be more limited to one or two entree choices and then sides.    I don't remember paying more than $9-12 for both of us (dinner).   But in reality, I wasn't eating that much, and neither was my Dad.

After awhile, my father and I would walk down towards Macarthur Park.    There was a Thai/Chinese restaurant that we ate at twice, and a couple of local diner/fast food type places.   Right across St Vincents is a Burger King, and after awhile during our neighborhood walks we would stop in for a shake.   

During that post-op time, I had the most energy during the mid-morning so we would go for a walk and then stop for lunch and then go back to the hospital for my nap.    I would have to stop and rest walking back to the hospital cuz it's a slow long hill. 

The neighborhood down by Macarthur Park is latino with lots of people hanging out on the sidewalks, it didn't bother me, but some people on the forum comment about it.    If you walk in the other direction the area is mostly low rise residential and seemed deserted during the day.   On one the cross streets was a supermarket that we walked to one day (seemed like it was far away but probably it was only a hundred yards or so).

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 06:43:12 pm »
There is a Jack in the Box about 4 blocks away. Yum yum This Jack in the Box did have a bullet proof window at their front counter  :o
We don't have Jack in the Box in North Dakota & I sure missed it.
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

LizAN

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 08:06:05 pm »
Bullet proof window at the front counter, Mindy?  That is a bit alarming.

Thai or Chinese food sounds great!  I'll bet there is a lot of it in LA.  Fast food, on the other hand, sounds deadly.  If I eat much of that it will slow my recovery down.

I need food that doesn't involve wheat or dairy or eggs.  Those are just three of the twenty plus foods that contribute to my lupus-like condition.  Mushrooms and any kind of yeast are probably worse.  And sugar, forget about it...  Sounds like I will need to go through detox when I get home.
2/20/2011 - 8mm
4/20/2012 - 12.4 mm

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 08:54:57 am »
Liz this is true tho. I wanted to take pics but there were too many people there. I did not see any other resturant have this. I actually chuckled when I saw it. You have to open this little door to give money or get your food. I'm from the Seattle area and had never seen bulletproof fast food resturants before.

We actually enjoyed the taco trucks that pull up in front of the hospital (on the road). They have great food and prices are good. I seen lots of nurses from the hospital getting their food there.

Mindy

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 09:16:33 am »
Please don't get the impression from all this that you are entering some sort of deadly urban combat zone in the St. Vincent's / Seton / House Institute neighborhood. It's a big city neighborhood, so just have your street smarts at the ready and go about your business. We had a rental car, so didn't walk around much other than to go across the street from Seton to House ... but I never felt as though I was in any danger.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ